NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
79skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Project
    Posted: February-20-2006 at 8:37pm
Hey everyone, I have been with this web site for a few months now and I must say it can be very addictive. Anyway I have finally posted some pics on Zoomshare of what I have been doing this winter. So take a look at the photo section.

http://www.79skinautique.zoomshare.com
Aaron

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 9:09pm
Aaron,

Outstanding. Absolutely beautiful. I can't believe you've been working on this project and not posting updates on the site. We love this stuff here. That's a fairly rare trailer
you have as well with the shrouds.   Enjoy it.
BKH
Livin' the Dream

mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 9:15pm
Your boat is soo saweet! I love how far youve brought it! Your an inspiration to all of us!
mars
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 9:38pm
Sweet boat! Great Job! wish i could have done that with my 81...Have fun with it.
Scott
Scott
Our 94 SN
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2006 at 10:51pm
You want to do another one, just for fun?
Bob Ed
83 2001
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 5:07am
Awesome, awesome ,awesome. You should be real proud of the work you did on that one. Looks fantastic. And you've got my trailer, I've just about given up looking for one of those.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 6:01am
Dude. Un BELIEVABLE. That looks like several winter projects strung together. That boat looks AMAZING. I learned how to ski on a boat just like that. That has to be THE best looking 70's era SN of all time, no doubt. You have got to be kidding me with that thing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 6:36am
I started this project just after Christmas, it has been a long and expensive couple of months. I never thought the stringers would be that rotted until I pulled the floor up, It was almost scary to think that I had my family out in that all last summer. While into it that far I decided to replace all the vent, bilge and exhaust hoses (that exhaust hose is not cheap). I also replaced the bilge pump and made new battery cables. The only thing I have left is to finish up the engine and dial it back into loaction.
I would definetly enjoy doing another project like this I just don't know if the wife is ready for the epoxy,polyester, gel coat, and foam smeell through the house again.

Thanks for all the compliments
Aaron

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 6:39am
81nautique,

I may be interested in a trade for trailers, I would hate to give this one up but it is such a tight fit to get it into my garage. I have to remove the marker lights just to squeeze it in. I have the two seperate doors instead of the one big one. Post some pics of your trailer.
Aaron

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 6:44am

Great job and welcome to the site!! Any possibility that you could bring that thing to the Green Lake reunion? I Hate the thought of ever having to do the stringers again, that sucks huh....Have fun.

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 7:19am
Aaron,

Here are some photos of my trailer. It looks like the same as yours, low boy, with prop guard. Mine is galvanized and is solid as a rock. New tires and fold up jack. It's a great trailer, I just want to match my boat up with the deluxe like yours. I will be replacing the bunk carpet this spring. Let me know what you think.
trailer 1
photo 2
photo 3
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 8:07am
79'
    WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!
You had to bust butt to do that in a couple months!!! There's nothin pretteir than a red-trimmed SN in the water!!! (unless you can get some of Pauls "rear" seat ornaments to go with)

Who dig the graphics? They painted or decals?
GREAT JOB!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 8:16am
I had my painter that does streetrods do the graphics, I used basecoat clearcoat so hopefully it will hold up better. I then had a local sign shop do the rear lettering and match it perfectly to the paint. My painter charged me $175 for the painting and prep work and the sign shop charged $60 for the rear lettering and registration numbers. So its paint and decals.

I had a local upholstery shop do the seats and motor cover in Athens, GA.
Aaron

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 9:14am
Aaron: Let me add my AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!to everyone else's. What a job. Love the red! The paint and interior are worth whatever you paid. I had a trailer like that under my yellow '78 and always got lots of compliments. They are a rare item. As a side note; I liked your website. Easy to use. Always amazes me how talented some of you guys are. Again, congrats on a great job and welcome to the site. We love guys like you.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 9:52am
Nice...Dash looks like it cleaned up real well too, you didn't replace it did you?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 10:00am
Absolutely beautiful...I appreciate all the work, sweat (and money) it took to get it to that condition. Hope to post pix of 67 Mustang in the near future.

Nice work.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 10:25am
Wow! The bar of excellence has been raised. Good job!!!!!

I suspect this thread will continue for some time with a lot of "how did you do that?" questions.

Again, very nicely done.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 11:13am
yea....I'd say those stringers were rotten alright!

Echo what everyone else said.....impressive work!!
Life is Good.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 11:45am
Your 79 definitley brings back great memories for me, I bought my first Nautique in 1986, it was a 77, blue with the same exact trailer. I replaced the interior and repainted all the lettering. Your right about the cost of that exhaust hose, major sticker shock for me at 23 yrs old, I also needed to add mufflers because the previous owner had used PVC pipe as mufflers. My hull also required a bit of concentration to avoid plunging that bow coming back for your skier, definitley kept you on your toes. That shroud on the trailer also made launching a breeze, it made the boat lift off the bunks once you threw it in reverse.

Amazing job 79, your boat looks awesome! Enjoy it!
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 12:19pm
Looks Great...Good for another 30 years You do nice work.
Scott
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 5:07pm
MAD SKILLS right there. Thank goodnes my boat is solid. That is brutal. I suppose time will do that to any boat. I can wait!
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 12:54pm
Yo 79,

What is the gray sealer that you put on the flooring before you put on the carpet?

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 10:25am
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

Looks Great...Good for another 30 years You do nice work.

Hey scott, not to change the thread or anything, but did you ever paint the Torino?? What color did you finally choose??? aaanndd, you are coming to GL this summer right? We need this boat there as the sol rep for the V-Drive class..

Moj
86SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:52pm
Man that boat is awesome! How in the world did you complete such a task in such a short time? The look of that gutted hull reminds me of when I did the same to my my abused '86. How did you refill the foam in the hull when you were putting it back together?
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 8:07pm
Wow. That was inspiring. It made me appreciate that the stringers on my Mustang aren't in such bad shape after all!

What a beautiful boat. You should really be proud of that thing.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
NC 75 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC 75 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2006 at 11:09am
Aaron, I have most of the foam out of my 75 Mustang and yep, a bunch of soft wood. Couple of questions:

On removing the stringers, I am assuming that you cut out all the encapsulating glass as well. Also, I thought I saw in this forum that you only did one at a time to maintain the hull integrity, right?

Does it make send to go back with marine plywood as you did? Appears that the original is basically layers of layed up glass, with wood for seat supports, post support, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 3:27pm
Boat looks great. Do you mind sharing how much you have invested in a project such as this when complete? a$$uming your labor is free of course.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 3:37pm
Swatkinz, Im not sure if 79SkiNautique will be very active on the forums. He sold his boat this summer, I believe. He completed it last spring- this post is quite old.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2006 at 9:22pm
Hey Steve! I tried to email you a couple of times today but they got kicked back. I replied to your email thru this website. Hope you got it. As far as I know that 85 is still for sale.
Scott
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2006 at 11:15am
Im still out here checking in with you guys from time to time. Possibly looking for another winter project. To answer the question of how much, With the seats, Carpet, Floor, and Engine I spent Just under $2000.

Im really missing the old girl but the wife and kids really enjoy the new Malibu.
Aaron

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic