NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at a 1982 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at a 1982 2001
    Posted: February-21-2006 at 5:47pm
Hey guys, I've read alot of your posts and have really developed a love for these older boats. There is an '82 2001 Black and Grey, 351W for sale in my area for $7500.00. about 600 hours. Owner has replaced interior with CC skins and new carpet. OUtside of boat has been dinged a pretty good bit but mechanically its is in top shape. He has replaced all hoses, lines etc... The trailer is the high type, original though and is grey in color. He said it needs a repaint but tires and bearing buddies are in great shape. I'm planning on looking at the boat this weekend and think I can get it for a little less than asking price. The owner sounds very particular and swears the boat is in great shape except for exterior and trailer. Does this sound like a fair deal?
Thanks for your input
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 7:11pm
Welcome tcarden! It's a buyers price choice. 7500 sounds in line if you look through the diaries section. I would suggest you do a quick word search above and find the post for buying guide tips. You should find helpful info for things to check such as stringers, flooring and misc. items that may be blurred by your excitement.

Of course you can always haggle, and cash is king. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 7:15pm
The price sounds pretty good, especially if you can get it for less. I think its weird that someone would take great care of a boat mechanically but not cosmetically. But, Im very anal so its probably only weird to me.

If I was going to spend $7500, I would look at Chris Broshar's 79 Nautique that he has listed in the for sale section.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Scott
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 8:06pm
That 79 looks great! Thanks! I was kind of wanting the 2001 hull though. The seller feels that the boat is completely solid except for the exterior. I was also wondering about the exterior condition ie.. if the previous owner was rough on the outside he probably didn't keep up the mechanical and this guy has done the things that are most noticeable and affordable ie. new skins and carpet. I"m thinking of $6k to $6.5k to buy if it works out. I'm trying to post a pic but cvan't get it to work.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 8:52pm
I bought pretty much the same boat about two years ago. Mine is grey/black with an '84 t*tle. $7500 is more than what I paid for mine but mine didn't have new CC skins. The interior was redone with generic skins and the seat foam sucks water like a sponge. The tires on the trialer were shot too. Considering these items, I still think he's a little high.

Take the boat out and run it. Listen to the engine. Does it ping or make any other strange noises. If you have, or can get, a compression gauage, check the compression. Note the hour meter when you start up the boat. Look again when you get back to the dock. Did it move or has it been disconnected for years? Check the oil and tranny fluid before and after. Any changes in levels, color or smell? Pull the plugs after you run it. Any soot or watter or oil?

Check the structure rot.

It's hard to tell the differences unless you know what to look for but check to see if any parts have been replaced with automotive parts.
He'll appreciate the boat going to someone who cares.
Note any little thing you can use as a bargining chip. If anything doesn't seem right, or you're unsure of, pay a mechanic to check it out. With a 20+ year old boat, unless it's the origginal owner, there's no telling what the lady has been through.

There's always going to be something that needs fixing on an older boat. I enjoy that part, my wife would rather get a brand new Bayliner.

Some things I've spent money on over the past two years:
*Oil pressure sending unit $50
*fuel tank sending unit $50?
*fuel pump $150?
*Electronic Ignition conversion $100
*new carb and spacer gaskets -- Cheap
*new exhaust gaskets -- Cheap
*battery -- cheap
*rewiring the dash -- cheap
*new starter -- ~$200 didn't need it but while I was in there
*solenoid $40
*tranny reverse gear rebuild-- ~$200 parts (damn rope getting tanggeled in the prop
*tune up $200
*Speedo cable and pickups $50
Changing fuild and filters...

Assess everything. If it looks good, point out the good things (I'm glad you went with origginal seat covers--he spent some money on them!) and the items of concern and make an offer.

Because I'm feeling generous tonight, I'll though in the following at no extra charge...

Will you take $5500 for it?
Oh come on...
Well I'm just concerned about...how about $5800?
I really need to get $6000 for it...
Ok, if you are sure the... is in good shape

If you offer $7K he'll take it but don't give an extra grand away if you don't have to. If he counter offers $7K, I'd "steal" say, well, I was thinking more like $5800.
No extra charge...
Good luck. These boats are SOLID. Just make sure it's been taken care of or expect to spend some money down the road emm river.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 9:01pm
OK, while I was trying to give you the Second Epistle to the Corinthians...
You got some good advice. Take cash with you. If you think he'll take $6K, do what I said and he'll take $6K.   Good luck; keep in touch. Make sure the t*tle is in his name, by the way.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 9:02pm
I'd take 5 grand with me IN CASH and offer him that if the boat checks out.

If he bails on you, walk. Chances are he'll take that 5 grand before he lets you out of the driveway.

That's been my experience.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 10:21pm
Just curious,Is that boat is located in Memphis, TN?....(if it is, then I've seen it)

Just for reference, I paid 4k (cash)for my '82 with about 700hrs and it was in about the same condition.
Life is Good.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2006 at 11:55pm
Since we're being honest...I paid $5K with stereo (which I didn't care about) life jackets, fat sack (which I didn't care about) and Skylon (which I didn't care about.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:12am
82tique. The guy that owns it is a Dentist in Memphis but has it at the lake about two hours away On Miss / Alabama line. If you think you've seen let me know. I was thinking around $6k but I agree with you, a gelcoat job is cost prohibitive. When we first talked he said his bottom dollar was $6,800. $5k cash if it checks out sounds like a fair deal to all to me.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:25am
Jimbo, Thanks for info! I really want an old nautique to teach my 12yr. old son and 9 yr. old daughter to ski and wakeboard. My son is into skateboarding so I figure that's a natural progression. Your points are appreciated. I do have some concerns about the abuse of the exterior. Leads me to believe she was probably rode hard and put up wet. Oh well, I'm planning on going to see her Sunday. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Again, Thanks!!!
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 9:26am
Are you in the Memphis area?

The boat is located near my family's lake house at Pickwick, but I was mistaken I haven't seen it personally.

FYI- the exterior of the boat should be a good bargaining point to lower the price, but the stripes/graphics are actually painted on that year model. So, it is pretty easy to remove the old graphics, wet sand, repaint and make the boat look brand new.

New skins would cost you about a grand, so I'm thinking that around 5.5k to 6k would probably be a good deal....as long as the stringers and floor are solid/rot free

Here's a Check List of what you should look at when you go look at the boat.

Good Luck!
Life is Good.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 9:38am
I'm in Decatur, Alabama. He put new CC skins on and new carpet. The post is on Planetnautique.com. He said when he redid the carpet he inspected the floor by drilling small holes in the stringers to find any wet places and then used some sort of epoxy penetrator to seal up the floor. He said he got instruction on how to do it from a CC dealer. Also, he said that it could use a carburetor kit but that it runs great now just some hot starting problems. there is no cover, the trailer needs redoing and no tower.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 9:54am
Sounds like he used rot doctor on rotted stringers and CC doesn't make replacement skins for that year boat. The regional dealers have them made by a local shop and are not factory made.
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:15am
a pic
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:22am
Sorry about that try this
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:54pm
82tique how much would you guess a repaint of the sides would be? I'm thinking that I'll have to sandblast and repaint the trailer if it isn't galvanized in addition to the sides. I think the rest is probably in pretty good shape. He says he thinks the carb could need a kit but that it runs like a scalded dog. Comments are appreciated. I need a 2001!!!!!
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 8:14pm
I painted mine myself, but I remember getting an estimate of $250 at a local body shop using imron paint (that's with me doing the prep work).

The boat's interior appears to be in great shape!!

Get some starbrite hull cleaner and it should clean up those brown water marks no problem.     
Life is Good.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 1:00pm
I wouldn't recommend rebuilding the carburetor. For about $250 more, you can buy a brand new one. Don't run the engine with a bad carburetor! I did for a while and it cost me a new engine!

$7,500 with new interior is decent. Did he service it himself or did a dealer service it? I would try to get all the records on it. Check to see if smoke comes out of the exhaust, which would indicate worn piston rings and possible blow-by. Smell the exhaust. Does it smell like raw gasoline? That's also not a good sign. I would say engine compression is the most important thing to be aware of.

Looks like a nice boat. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 2:46pm
Thanks nautique2001 and everyone. I'm taking a wad of cash Sunday and will let you know how it goes. I really just need to spend some time with the boat it sounds like. I plan on taking the advice of Ultrarunner and doing the $5k cash bit and work up from there. Worst case he gets pissed, best case I report that I've got a new (old) 2001! If someone offered me a low bid i'd certainly counter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend rebuilding the carburetor. For about $250 more, you can buy a brand new one.

Dude what have you been smoke'n re-building the carb is going to cost you around 100 bucks to have someone do it for you or around 50 bucks if you do it yourself and the last time I looked at marine carbs they where 400+. The carb doesn't ware out the needle and set, seals, dia-phrams, and floats do and they are all replaceable and will work just like it was brand new once replace and the carb is rebuilt.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I wouldn't recommend rebuilding the carburetor. For about $250 more, you can buy a brand new one.

Dude what have you been smoke'n re-building the carb is going to cost you around 100 bucks to have someone do it for you or around 50 bucks if you do it yourself and the last time I looked at marine carbs they where 400+. The carb doesn't ware out the needle and set, seals, dia-phrams, and floats do and they are all replaceable and will work just like it was brand new once replace and the carb is rebuilt.

Amen brother! I rebuilt mine last year and it runs great. I spent maybe$50 on the kit and another $15 on a bucket of carb cleaner. Nowher near the cost of a new carb.
Bob Ed
83 2001
tcarden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 7:31am
Thanks guys! I am now trying to go see the boat Sat. instead of Sun. Got tickets for the Bama vs Florida game and i thought it was Sat but turns out its Sunday. I feel confidant that I can rebuild the carb. I've done it before on Mercruisers and such. As a kid I worked at a boat dealership, Used to gripe at my Dad about how I would never use that experience. I'm gonna take my 11 yr old son with me. If we get it he will have a lasting memory of it don't you think.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 7:42am
Figured I throw in my 2-cents on this conversation. Don't rush into it because its the first available boat that meets your goals. It's pretty exciting at that point, and easy to do. The word of caution relates to the reported hull condition. Unless the engine or transmission are shot, mechanical repairs (in my mind) are a lot easier, and less fussy than major cosmetic repairs (fiberglassing, paint, graphics...) Its a lot easier to bolt on a new alternator, or whaterver, than go through body work fuss. You may like the boat right now, but then get frustrated that it doesn't look as nice as you had hoped a few months down the road. And then it can be a very tedius job getting it turned around. If you have any doubts at all when you are looking at it, sleep on it, then make your decision. Pass, if you have to. There will be others, especially with the help of this site.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 8:10am
I respectfully disagree with '75.

If the boat is sound mechanically and structurally (stringers)then I'd go for it! Cosmetic repairs are no big deal at all, just need some elbow grease and a good helper like your son.

didn't realize you are a Bama fan, you seemed like a nice guy

Go Big Orange!!

Life is Good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 8:57am
You learn something everyday. I thought rebuilds were more expensive.I'm on my third carburetor. I bought a brand new one from Overton's last spring. I think I spent $550. My engine still had issues with the new carb. I ended up buying another engine and new carb. So I have a carburetor at home with one hour of use. My original '86 carb had major issues and lunched out my original engine. For what's it worth, buying a new carb. was only my opinion. I am more of a replace person than fix it person.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 10:39am
Replacing stuff without knowing what the problem really is gets expensive. I would say that you have or had a vaccum leak on the intake or carb base and maybe some fine tuning on the carb. Tells us what your semptums are and this forum can head you down the right path and save you some cash along the way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 11:10am
True 79, I should be more patient. I lost six weeks of the summer last year. I could only try so many things until rendering it to a professional mechanic. Two cylinders were toast and two were bad in result of a bad carb. My boat ran for an hour, then would just shut down. Eventually, gas mixed with oil and I got blow-by. The dipstick kept launching out of it's spot. The blow-by was so serious that raw gas shot out the exhaust and I lost about a half quart of oil through the dipstick. Blue smoke loomed from the rear.
Correct Craft indicated that the carb dripped gasoline into the crankcase, thus destroying the engine. I ordered another engine and I was on the lake in 2 weeks. Right now, everything is new except for my starter.
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 11:35am

True 79, I should be more patient. I lost six weeks of the summer last year. I could only try so many things until rendering it to a professional mechanic. Two cylinders were toast and two were bad in result of a bad carb. My boat ran for an hour, then would just shut down. Eventually, gas mixed with oil and I got blow-by. The dipstick kept launching out of it's spot. The blow-by was so serious that raw gas shot out the exhaust and I lost about a half quart of oil through the dipstick. Blue smoke loomed from the rear.
Correct Craft indicated that the carb dripped gasoline into the crankcase, thus destroying the engine. I ordered another engine and I was on the lake in 2 weeks. Right now, everything is new except for my starter.

Ouch!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 12:11pm
I think it's cool that you are taking your son.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic