NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gonna start another argument........

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gonna start another argument........
    Posted: February-22-2006 at 5:22am
Hi all, this ones about - wait for it - WEDGE PLATES!!! Yeah, that's right. Any discussion on this topic has a mightier hole-shot than all of our engines stuck in one boat. Some guys are still saying you don't need one, your car engine is slanted, and it goes up hills. Anyway, here goes. I spent an evening at the speedway here in Adelaide, Australia last Friday night. I was sort of pit-crew for a friend's super sedan (this is an oval track class, dunno if there's an equivalent in the USA), and while gawking at all the cool stuff that goes into a Chev small block making 600hp (on methanol) I noticed that while the engine is slanted the CARB IS NOT. The flippin' manifold (big tunnel rams) is machined so as the carb sits level. And these cars only turn left. I didn't need any further convincing but in case there was some residual doubt (there wasn't) my friend said "ask this guy, he builds these things". The answer was a resounding YES! Put an adjectival wedge plate on and go from there. I was buying some bit's in a speed shop today and virtually all the manifolds on display where machined with the front lower. Oh, and if you want to go faster put on Dart heads..........I'm turning this off now! Seeya.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 1:00am
I have a high rise manifold that also has a built in "wedge".

I posted several months ago that the Edelbrock's won't run well without a wedge. At Wakesurfing and Wakeboarding speeds, the carb loads up and runs poorly. I have a Offenhauser 15 degree wedge under the Edelbrock Marine Carb and now she runs great. Without the wedge the Edelbrock will not run and believe me I spent hours on the phone with Edelbrock, adjusted floats, rods, springs...no good. The Holley ran good without a wedge, but drank gas.

I also like the Dart heads. They're pretty cheap in comparison to other HiPo heads. Good article on them recently in Car Craft.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 2:56am
OK, I must have a read of that. I mentioned them to a guy in a speedshop here and he reckoned they're better than the Edelbrock heads, although it seems you can't go past the Edelbrock Performer manifold. I just bought a 10 degree wedge for the '82 Ski Tique, the 15 was too steep. I haven't tried it on the engine yet. I'm surprised Edelbrock didn't suggest one, as mentioned all the HiPo manifolds I saw were machined with the carb nose down.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 6:36am
I don't know about you guys but my boat is so up and down and all around I don't see how changing the angle of the carb 10 degrees would make any difference. But that might just be my boat. Now a wedge under my rum and coke to keep it from spilling? That has possibilities.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 12:57pm
Fair comment Jim but like I said these cars only turn left, the track can get pretty rutted, plus the sprintcars sometimes wheelstand for the length of the straight if they hook up too much (and at 100mph). They still find it beneficial to start with the carb level. Just passing on a observation!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 1:10pm
Funny never seen one on a nascar engine, seen huge spacers tho.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 7:52pm
   Yeah, I like J_I_H post!!! I think I need a wedge on my drink holder to prevent me from spilling the cold ones!!
                            Jeff...

Just crazy, not stupid!
Morto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 7:53pm
Not a wedge, but the manifolds are often machined lower at the front at the carb opening. Look up any of the manifold manufacturers (Edelbrock etc) and you can see the slope in the pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic