NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

questions about ProTec replacements

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions about ProTec replacements
    Posted: July-17-2013 at 11:32pm
I did some research on here and found both the DUI and SkiDim retro kit to be good replacements for the OEM ignition system. I do have some thoughts, but would like to hear from some of you.

The SkiDim unit is about $500 with the 10% discount. I like the fact that this is old school and simple. I don't like the extra coil and wire.

The DUI unit is about $500 as well (unless I have a reverse rotation gear, then add $75). I like the electronic ignition and lack of coil and additional wires. I worry about the electronics going and cost of replacement.

your thoughts?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 12:16am
One factor is that DUI will customize the advance curve for your boat. TRBenj can elaborate , once he gets back online.

Edit - Don't underestimate the wiring changes that need to be made.    SkiDim's kit has that all figured out for you ahead of time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 8:55am
DUI
1 power wire + 1 tach wire = DONE.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

DUI
1 power wire + 1 tach wire = DONE.

What do you do with the old ignition system wiring? Just tie it off and call it a day?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 10:22am
If you go with the DUI, You may need to get the engine wiring harness also. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R121025A

I'm not sure what you'd be left with when you remove the Protec wiring. Vince at Skidim would be able to explain that.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you go with the DUI, You may need to get the engine wiring harness also. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R121025A

I'm not sure what you'd be left with when you remove the Protec wiring. Vince at Skidim would be able to explain that.

I'll have to see if that is a required item. If you add that piece, it becomes more expensive than the SkiDim distributer/coil retro fit.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 1:58pm
On page 51 of the PCM engine manual (site reference section)there is the Engine Wiring Diagram for 351 Ford Pro-Tec. Looking at this schematic I think you can just disconnect the EMS connector and Trigger plug. At the EMS connector the wire going to pin P (point 26) is 12V from the 12.5 Amp breaker and pin E (point 34) would be the tach wire going to the wire harness plug that goes to the dash. As long as you disconnect the the wire at the 12.5 Amp breaker so it doesn't put 12V on the open connector I think that would be all you have to do. Connect the DUI to the 12.5 Amp breaker output at point 26 and the tach wire going back to the dash and your done. There is nothing else on the EMS connector or trigger plug that would be used or matter, they could just be secured and forgotten about. Keep in mind that automatic engine shutdown, limp mode etc.. is history. Although your oil and temp guages will still function normally. The skidim kit may still have that functionality, not sure.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

On page 51 of the PCM engine manual (site reference section)there is the Engine Wiring Diagram for 351 Ford Pro-Tec. Looking at this schematic I think you can just disconnect the EMS connector and Trigger plug. At the EMS connector the wire going to pin P (point 26) is 12V from the 12.5 Amp breaker and pin E (point 34) would be the tach wire going to the wire harness plug that goes to the dash. As long as you disconnect the the wire at the 12.5 Amp breaker so it doesn't put 12V on the open connector I think that would be all you have to do. Connect the DUI to the 12.5 Amp breaker output at point 26 and the tach wire going back to the dash and your done. There is nothing else on the EMS connector or trigger plug that would be used or matter, they could just be secured and forgotten about. Keep in mind that automatic engine shutdown, limp mode etc.. is history. Although your oil and temp guages will still function normally. The skidim kit may still have that functionality, not sure.

I have the wiring schematic for my boat and can see what you are talking about. Good question about weather the SkiDim retro kit will still allow for the auto shutdown and limp mode. Not a deal breaker, but a cool feature I'd like to keep if possible.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 12:40pm
So I called Performance distributers today to ask a few questions about their ignitions. They asked if my 351 was a cleveland or windsor. I said I didn't know.

Any idea how to check? All I know is it is a 351 PCM with the ProTec ignition. I also do not know if it is reverse rotation or not.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 1:17pm
You definitely have a Windsor. 99.9% positive unless someone did a really oddball swaparoo at some point.

You most likely have a Left Hand (Standard Automotive) rotation engine. Even though your prop is most likely a rightie, the "Power Plus" Transmission reversed the direction. You want to confirm this though.

When your motor is running, your pulleys should be spinning Clockwise, as observed from the spotters seat for Left Hand (Standard).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 3:42pm
pulleys spin clockwise and the prop is a right hand prop. So it appears I have the Windsor. Are there any stampings on the motor that can confirm this as well?
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 7:27pm
the cleveland was not very long lived. I have yet to see one for real. PCM only used windsor motors, not clevelands. (i know pcm did use many others) Just look at pics of cleveland motors vs winsdors, and you will see that you have a windsor. Clevelands dont have the thermostat built into the intake manifold.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

So I called Performance distributers today to ask a few questions about their ignitions. They asked if my 351 was a cleveland or windsor. I said I didn't know.
Any idea how to check? All I know is it is a 351 PCM with the ProTec ignition. I also do not know if it is reverse rotation or not.
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

You definitely have a Windsor. 99.9% positive unless someone did a really oddball swaparoo at some point.
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

the cleveland was not very long lived. I have yet to see one for real. PCM only used windsor motors, not clevelands.

You should have an ID tag on the engine. See if there is one and then go to the ref section under PCM. There's a good explanation on IDing the engine.

I agree that unless someone did a conversion, you have a Windsor. With very minor exceptions, Cleveland and Windsor parts do not mix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2013 at 10:34pm
What, if any, is the difference between a windsor and a gt40?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 5:58am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

What, if any, is the difference between a windsor and a gt40?

A GT40 is a Windsor. The designation is simply the build level of the Windsor block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 9:56am
PO's ad said it had the GT40 in it. How can I tell?

Model nbr off the engine tag is: PLP-PR-R12PT
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 10:51am
Do you have any pictures?

The Pro Boss has GT-40 heads, and is usually around 285 HP. There was a later engine, called the "GT-40", that again had the GT-40 Heads but also full fuel injection (as opposed to throttle body injection). These are quite a bit different looking on the outside.

Skidim offers this handy guide:
http://www.skidim.com/marinization.asp
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2013 at 7:00pm
here are some pics
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 12:44pm
Pro Boss with throttle body fuel injection. GT40 has the very recognizable tubular intake with the large box above the valve cover on one side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 1:37am
you have the HO Pro Boss Pro Tec Ignition. Same as me. It features Ford gt40 heads with a Holley 4010 carb. Great combo. Sadly I don't have the gt40 heads anymore. But will be getting some next year!

EDIT: Now, CC got into the "friendly neighbor policy" so I don't know if your motor has them or not (another pic would tell) but your motor should also feature short 3.5" risers, allowing for better exhaust flow. Supra did this with a nice big muffler that has dual 3.5" in and out. Great flow (great sound when hollowed out!)
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 8:16am

you have the HO Pro Boss Pro Tec Ignition. Same as me. It features Ford gt40 heads with a Holley 4010 carb. Great combo. Sadly I don't have the gt40 heads anymore. But will be getting some next year!

EDIT: Now, CC got into the "friendly neighbor policy" so I don't know if your motor has them or not (another pic would tell) but your motor should also feature short 3.5" risers, allowing for better exhaust flow. Supra did this with a nice big muffler that has dual 3.5" in and out. Great flow (great sound when hollowed out!)

Here is a pic of the rest of the motor: thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 11:29pm
Is that thing as quiet as my 89 Martinique? Boy, I have to say i was VERY Dissapointed when I got up and cruising with my CC. We bought it on ebay for $5k and had relatives check it out at Sunapee Lake. Said it was is good shape so finalized the deal. Few weeks later went up with friends and took the boat out for a fall run. Noticed new exhaust setup, got out of the harbor and was DISSAPOINTED! Heartbroken! ITS QUIET! My uncles Gen II Martinique(86~88?), that sits at the family house has the good ol' dual 3" exhaust that you can HEAR! I cant believe cc got into the "good neighbor" crap. Im glad my Supra is as loud as a 351W can get. It has to make up for the lacking cc.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 8:09am
It's not very loud, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. It's probably better that it's quiet because the cops on our local lakes have a hard on for loud boats. I've been harassed about my loud jetski many a time on the local lakes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2013 at 1:17pm
Wow, that blows. The only thing Keuka Lake prevents is dry exhaust. So we have plenty of loud boats. Nothing like hearing 3 or more of them cigarettes with twin Big Blocks racing down the lake!

If your watching your boat drive away, can you hear it more than a 1/4 mile away?
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:53pm
Loud boats are great, unless you like to slalom at 7AM before the wallies start driving through the course. Competition inboards are designed for the 7AM tournament skier.

I did the SkiDim conversion on my '94 Sport, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 7:03pm
haha. boy, people sure know when Im skiing!
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Loud boats are great, unless you like to slalom at 7AM before the wallies start driving through the course. Competition inboards are designed for the 7AM tournament skier.

I did the SkiDim conversion on my '94 Sport, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

No 7AM slalom for me. Definitely want to get the Y pipe conversion, but its a little further down on my list-O-things to fix/replace.

I'll definitely hit you up when the time comes to make the swap. I'm leaning more towards the DUI, but I'm still researching them both. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 1:27am
I'd just do the DUI. No ballast resistor, no coil, no starter bypass wires to mess with. Just 2 wires, +12 volts, and tach, DONE! Full computerized dist and high energy coil all built into one unit. Clean look too. Just transfer the plug wires from coil pack to Dist in right order, unplug coil pack harness, take +12 volt and tach wire from coil pack harness and reroute to new DUI. Easy...
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 8:02am

I'd just do the DUI. No ballast resistor, no coil, no starter bypass wires to mess with. Just 2 wires, +12 volts, and tach, DONE! Full computerized dist and high energy coil all built into one unit. Clean look too. Just transfer the plug wires from coil pack to Dist in right order, unplug coil pack harness, take +12 volt and tach wire from coil pack harness and reroute to new DUI. Easy...

Are there points and such on the DUI? I'm under the impression the DUI is kinda maintenance free with the only thing needing replacement being the rotor? Is this correct?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 9:10am
DUI = A modified GM HEI and open up the plugs (.050)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic