Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with a Pilot?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Pilot?
    Posted: July-24-2013 at 2:39pm
Currently I tow my boat the 2.5ish miles to the lake with my 2.7l tacoma, and we are looking to get a 2nd tow vehicle replacing our Honda Element. With the great luck we've had with our honda (150k, no mechanical issues), the vehicle we're leaning towards is a Honda Pilot.

Info on the boat that it will be towing: 1995 Ski Nautique, and the trailer brakes do work fine. Eventually we are looking to upgrade to a newer 06-? open bow ski nautique 206 or 200. I know those boats weigh roughly 2900 lbs + 1200 for trailer and gear will bring me awfully close to the 5000 lbs tow rating.

Has anyone towed their boat with a Pilot? We're also considering a Toyota 4runner, maybe a F150 or Tundra, depending on how comfortable she is with the size of the vehicle. We're leaning towards the Pilot because of the low cost of ownership.

Before you say just get a F150 for me, a new vehicle for me isn't a good investment because I commute roughly 50 miles a day to work; I don't want to put miles on a vehicle of value.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 2:42pm
Additional note: boat will be towed to the Ozarks 3-5 times per year, and those hills are not for the faint of heart.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 3:03pm
i would go with a 4runner as you mentioned. the newer boat's weight and gear will be all that pilot could handle. i have a tundra now but i sold my '99 4runner with 270K on it. i did nothing but regular maintenance, tires and oil. it was still running great when i sold it and regret doing so. would've been a great hunting rig.

p.s. love my tundra too, but if you don't need a bed, the 4runners are perfect. my wife drives a sequoia and we love it too, but we have a heavier boat and kid stuff to pack around.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 3:24pm
   Jeep is putting a new eco-diesel in the Grand Cherokee again. My wife has an '07 with a MB 3.0 CRD in it.
Check out the torque and tow capacity of their diesel, for a 6 cylinder you can’t beat it.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by jbach jbach wrote:

i would go with a 4runner as you mentioned. the newer boat's weight and gear will be all that pilot could handle. i have a tundra now but i sold my '99 4runner with 270K on it. i did nothing but regular maintenance, tires and oil. it was still running great when i sold it and regret doing so. would've been a great hunting rig.

p.s. love my tundra too, but if you don't need a bed, the 4runners are perfect. my wife drives a sequoia and we love it too, but we have a heavier boat and kid stuff to pack around.

Appreciate the input.

The full frame on the 4runner is a plus, however it's tow capacity is only 4700 lbs. The Sequoia is another vehicle we are considering, the only downside to all the larger vehicle is the fuel economy.

1) What motor did you have in your 4runner?

2) How did it handle in hills?

3) What size boat did you tow?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Jeep is putting a new eco-diesel in the Grand Cherokee again. My wife has an '07 with a MB 3.0 CRD in it.
Check out the torque and tow capacity of their diesel, for a 6 cylinder you can’t beat it.

I appreciate the input.

The diesel is very appealing as it would be great for towing; however I am not a fan of Chrysler products. Depending upon price, I may consider giving it a test drive.

1) I'm going to assume the diesel is a Cummins; correct?

2) What is the tow rating with the diesel?

3) Any idea how expensive it is to put a diesel into the vehicle?

An additional concern of mine with a diesel is how expensive they are to purchase; plus, when something does break it is even more expensive fix. I would have to calculate the additional cost of purchasing the diesel engine, and cost of fuel to see if it is worth the extra dollars.

Random thought:
I've never owned a diesel, however I have a lot of family members with duramax pickups, and they claim that all diesel pumps are filthy. Has anybody found this to be true?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 3:49pm
We are pulling our Mustang with my wife's 2006 Toyota Highlander which is the competition to the Pilot. It does a better job than my Xterra which is a real truck. I think it's mostly due to the wheelbase of the Highlander being longer than the Xterra's.

Now the Mustang is only 1600 lbs so that probably doesn't help you much with your comparison.

My brother's wife just got a new 4Runner and it's quite nice. Really a beefy vehicle. Seemed a bit underpowered to me but I'm used to a 6 speed in my Xterra.

I'm very interested in the new Grand Cherokees myself. There's not a whole lot of mid size SUV choices left that have a real truck frame. Xterra, 4runner, Cherokee, Landrover... thats all I can think of.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:00pm
My wife loves her Jeep diesel
As for the pumps being dirty I don't base my vehicle purchase on how dirty the pumps are...dirty pumps REALLY!!!!

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand_cherokee/capabilities/

Car & driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:02pm
I drive the Touareg TDI and diesel pumps can be pretty dirty. Some have plastic mitts next to the pump to keep your hands clean. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is basically a Mercedes GL underneath with an Italian engine, so there isn't much for Chrysler to screw up. For the money the Grand Cherokee is a great deal, I just preferred the options and style of the VW. Plus my VW tows the Debonnaire just fine which is probably over 6,000 with the trailer.
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:12pm
The pumps are dirty,I used to keep a pair of gloves in a Tupperware container in the trunk. The ground around them can be dirty too,you just have to watch where you walk. It also might be a location issue also,we live in an area that has a lot of gravel trucks and they most likely don't care
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:21pm
I have a 2005 Pilot. I routinely tow about 18 miles each way to the ramp on hilly but not extreme roads. At that speed etc.I have absolutely no problem. Once a year I tow to Virginia which is 400+ miles, mostly interstate. In a perfect world I would have a stronger, heavier vehicle for this but I don't and the Pilot does fine. Coordinating a level trailer height with the hitch is important as the natural tendency is that the hitch it too low and the boat/ trailer are pitched forward putting extra tongue weight on the Honda. We're at 106,000 miles of totally low maintenance ownership and the thing is just like new. I love it.
I also used to tow with a 97 Tacoma, 5 speed v6. The Honda is a stronger pull and the new ones are rated for more towing capacity.
I'm towing virtually the same boat too - a 93 Ski Nautique on a single axle Prestige trailer.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:21pm
We tow our '92SN with a 2013 Nissan Frontier crew cab desert runner. She pulls it like it's nothing. 265/285 V6.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 4:23pm
I got the smell of gas on my hands and stepped where someone had over filled so I don't like buying gas vehicles anymore.

I guess I'm stuck buying electric till I get shocked once.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

My wife loves her Jeep diesel
As for the pumps being dirty I don't base my vehicle purchase on how dirty the pumps are...dirty pumps REALLY!!!!

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand_cherokee/capabilities/

Car & driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review

The dirty pumps wouldn't be an influencing factor. My uncle made a comment about the pumps, and I wanted to see if you had the same experience. Just my random thought of the day.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I have a 2005 Pilot. I routinely tow about 18 miles each way to the ramp on hilly but not extreme roads. At that speed etc.I have absolutely no problem. Once a year I tow to Virginia which is 400+ miles, mostly interstate. In a perfect world I would have a stronger, heavier vehicle for this but I don't and the Pilot does fine. Coordinating a level trailer height with the hitch is important as the natural tendency is that the hitch it too low and the boat/ trailer are pitched forward putting extra tongue weight on the Honda. We're at 106,000 miles of totally low maintenance ownership and the thing is just like new. I love it.
I also used to tow with a 97 Tacoma, 5 speed v6. The Honda is a stronger pull and the new ones are rated for more towing capacity.
I'm towing virtually the same boat too - a 93 Ski Nautique on a single axle Prestige trailer.

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I wanted hear. The Pilot is the car that she wants; however we felt that if it isn't a strong tow vehicle it wouldn't work out for us.

It sounds like we have towed with similar vehicles; right now I tow with a 2000 tacoma, which does okay. I'm glad to hear the Pilot does better than the taco.

A couple questions:
1) What maintenance have you done? Obviously brakes and tires at 106k, but anything out of the ordinary? Valve adjustments? Timing belt?

2) What kind of MPGs towing? 12?

3) Do you notice a lot of down shifting when towing?

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The pumps are dirty,I used to keep a pair of gloves in a Tupperware container in the trunk. The ground around them can be dirty too,you just have to watch where you walk. It also might be a location issue also,we live in an area that has a lot of gravel trucks and they most likely don't care

Gary we live in farm country, so we probably would have the same experience. Thanks for the reply

95 Ski Nautique GT40
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

We are pulling our Mustang with my wife's 2006 Toyota Highlander which is the competition to the Pilot. It does a better job than my Xterra which is a real truck. I think it's mostly due to the wheelbase of the Highlander being longer than the Xterra's.

Now the Mustang is only 1600 lbs so that probably doesn't help you much with your comparison.

My brother's wife just got a new 4Runner and it's quite nice. Really a beefy vehicle. Seemed a bit underpowered to me but I'm used to a 6 speed in my Xterra.

I'm very interested in the new Grand Cherokees myself. There's not a whole lot of mid size SUV choices left that have a real truck frame. Xterra, 4runner, Cherokee, Landrover... thats all I can think of.

Thanks for the reply. The highlander is another vehicle for us to look into.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:37pm
We are coming up on timing belt/ water pump but haven't done it yet. I think it's called for at 115,000 (I need to check!)
As for other maintenance- brakes, tires, oil, typical stuff...thats it.
Towing mileage on our last trip was 13-14. Not great but...
I do not notice a lot of downshifting when towing though when we're in a hilly environment I keep it in D3 so the overdrive doesn't come into play.
It has a 4WD lock I use at the ramp and my ramp is somewhat steep and I have no problem at all. I used to love the 4-Low on the Tacoma which this doesn't have but i've never needed it.

Its really a great, great vehicle - typical Honda. Its funny but I usually don't drive it much except when we're towing or taking a trip. This week I happen to have it because my wife took my car and kids to the beach. I really forgot just how nice it is as a daily driver. I honestly prefer it to my car.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:40pm
I see you live in the Chicago area. Towing with a truck how you going
to get the rest of your peeps in it when your cruzing the hood you knows what im saying???

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 5:40pm
Just saw vondy's post. My buddy has a new Grand Cherokee with the V8. It is stunningly nice on the interior except there are some quality issues (dash is delaminating, some suspension noises - warranty items). We towed to and from Virginia in a mini-convoy and there was no issue in my keeping up with him anywhere on the drive, including the much hillier part down near Roanoke and the lake.
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I see you live in the Chicago area. Towing with a truck how you going
to get the rest of your peeps in it when your cruzing the hood you knows what im saying???

Hmmm interesting point, it's all about accommodating the homies. With that being said, I'm going to look at this vehicle tomorrow; it doubles as a tow vehicle/boat.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 7:05pm
Our 2007 Pilot AWD tows our Southwind or our Century quite well. 4500lb rated towing capacity and seats 8 or plenty of gear.

Our trailers are a bit odd, old, and mismatched (not uncommon with older era boats), so we've got just a bit too much tongue weight; but we rarely tow anyway. A modern boat with a well-balanced properly-matching trailer should ride nicely, evenly, and effortlessly.

If you do tow frequently in mountainous terrain you might consider going up a size; Tahoe, Sequoia, something like that; but the Pilot is great vehicle. It's my wife's car and she loves it and that's what counts.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Our 2007 Pilot AWD tows our Southwind or our Century quite well. 4500lb rated towing capacity and seats 8 or plenty of gear.

Our trailers are a bit odd, old, and mismatched (not uncommon with older era boats), so we've got just a bit too much tongue weight; but we rarely tow anyway. A modern boat with a well-balanced properly-matching trailer should ride nicely, evenly, and effortlessly.

If you do tow frequently in mountainous terrain you might consider going up a size; Tahoe, Sequoia, something like that; but the Pilot is great vehicle. It's my wife's car and she loves it and that's what counts.

Thanks for the reply. The Pilot should be a huge improvement from my current (Tacoma) and past (GMC Safari) tow vehicles. I'd rather not get a full size SUV because those larger vehicles are more expensive to maintain; taking away from boating $$$$$.

Glad to hear your Pilot does the job.

95 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic