NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Runs like crap when warm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 3:06pm
My issue was resolved with a MSD 8222 epoxy filled blaster coil and a MSD 8124 resistor.
1973 Nautique 351
Georges82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 4:06pm
OK thanks, I was wondering if I should re-install the ballast resistor. Looks like thats the way to go.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 8:06pm
8222 is the coil I referred to. Sorry, I guess it is just Blaster & not Blaster 2.

I would do what the Mallory instructions say, not what a guy on the phone thinks - he most likely didn't do the circuit design.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 10:43pm
Ok sorry to bring this post back up again. How hot is to hot for coil? I hooked up ballast resistor to coil + and my coil seems pretty warm. I can hold my hand on it but any hotter I probably wouldn't be able to. I ran Mallory for 1 year with no resistor because my coil says 12v no resistor required. I hooked up resistor today because of George's post. I run pretty far offshore last thing I want is a coil problem. I'm also considering ordering a blaster epoxy for a spare as it seems most have good results.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:39pm
If you can hold your hand on it, I think it is OK.

Ben Franklin
Georges82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 1:16am
Ordered the epoxy blaster and resistor yesterday,
It shipped today, I should have it wed. Or thurs.
I'll let you know what happens.
My coil was almost too hot to touch , After about an hour when I changed the coil it was about the temp of a warmed up engine. Around 160deg or so.ok to touch but not to hold on to very long.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 4:28am
Our local O'Reilly Auto had the MSD Blaster2 coil hanging on the rack.

The NAPA website shows a marine ballast resistor for Pleasurecraft engines for 18 bucks or so. They have the exact same resistor, 0.85 ohm, listed for Ford, as I recall, for 9 bucks. Our local NAPA had one for me in less than 24 hours.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:39am
Steve - Did you get the epoxy filled coil? I was incorrectly calling it blaster2 earlier, but epoxy is not a #2.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:18pm
Aha, no I did not. I bought the "MSD Blaster 2 Coil", part no. 8202. The epoxy filled is the "MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil", part no. 8222. See page 63 of the MSD 2013 Catalog. Oh well, let's see how long it lasts. I have another coil onboard.

The new NAPA ballast resistor did the trick on correcting the voltage levels, I think. We'll see for sure when we get it out later this week. The part number for the 0.85 ohm "ignition coil resistor" is NAPA ICR5500.
Georges82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 3:27pm
I installed the epoxy filled blaster coil and wired the ballast resistor back into the system,
Took the boat out yesterday and ran around for about 1 1/2 hrs. No problems at all. Boat ran better than it has for a long time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 9:02pm
Excellent! Glad to hear it, George.   
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 10:43pm
I did not see this, so I hope I am not repeating someone, but I learned this on this board. A ballast resistor is used to give the motor better starting performance. The ignition will bypass the resistor when the key is turned to the start position and give 12 Volts to the coil, then when running, power will go through the resistor and be reduced to 8-10 volts. The theory is, the 12v type resistor coil is designed to not run on 12v, but 8-10v, that way when 12v is applied to an 8v coil it has more spark and will start better. The actual coil voltage depends on the resistor and coil combination. That is why a coil designed for a ballast resistor, must be run through one, otherwise it will overheat. If you use a 12v coil, simply bypass the resistor. I liked the better starting idea, so I use the ballast resistor/coil combo in my 1990 351 PCM Ford.

I hope this helps to understand the reasoning of the two systems.

Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by 64stang 64stang wrote:

I did not see this, so I hope I am not repeating someone, but I learned this on this board. A ballast resistor is used to give the motor better starting performance. The ignition will bypass the resistor when the key is turned to the start position and give 12 Volts to the coil, then when running, power will go through the resistor and be reduced to 8-10 volts.

Mark

Mark,
You may want to do more research before commenting and possibly confusing some. Not all marinized engines use the resister by pass during cranking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 11:17pm
Sorry, what would be the point of running the 12v through the "resistor" during cranking? Just curious, what marine engine uses a ballast resistor and does not bypass it when starting?

I do not intend to confuse, just got the info on this board & marineengine.com and was trying to help "generalize" how and why a ballast resistor exists.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 4:58am
Originally posted by 64stang 64stang wrote:

Sorry, what would be the point of running the 12v through the "resistor" during cranking? Just curious, what marine engine uses a ballast resistor and does not bypass it when starting?

Actually, this is a subject full of wives tales and misconceptions. I'll share mine (and I can be laughed at)...

I've heard various reasons why ballast resistors (or resistance wires) were first added to automotive ignition systems:

1. "Starting Boost"

Without a ballast resistor... you turn your key to Run--your coil sees battery voltage (let's call it 12V). You turn your key to Start--your starter pulls the voltage down a lot, and now the coil sees much lower voltage and may not produce enough energy for starting spark.

So... someone got the idea to put a resistor inline with the coil, and then design the coil to work at the lower voltage (let's say 9V) seen behind that resistor, and then add a ballast resistor bypass wire so that Start skips the resistor and the coil sees more like 9V rather than 6V.

BUT... The PCM 351 doesn't use a bypass wire.

So much for that theory for our boats. BUT... it does make sense for vehicles that need to be started in very cold weather, when the lower voltage (like 6V in our example) isn't enough to get things started.

2. "Non-Running Current Limiter"

You have an oil-filled coil and no ballast resistor. You're drunk and leave the key in the Run position overnight. Your points happen to be closed so this dumps a lot of current (high amps) through the coil. The coil gets hotter and hotter. Some of the insulation on the coil wires may fail due to the heat, greatly reducing the coil's resistance and causing even more current to flow. You're lucky and find coil oil all over your engine, but at least your garage didn't burn down.

Someone smart figured out that adding a ballast resistor will limit the current enough to keep the coil temperature at an acceptable level. The resistor and coil are in series, so their resistance adds.

This one makes some sense for our application.

Now, we need to look at the name... "ballast resistor". That's not just "resistor". A BALLAST resistor changes resistance with some other variable (current or temperature, for instance):

Quote ballast resistor
Noun
1. an electrical resistor whose resistance varies with the current passing through it, and thus tends to maintain a constant current
2. a resistor inserted into a circuit to compensate for changes (as those arising from temperature fluctuations)

3. "Low Temperature Starting Boost"

When it's cold out, you need more spark energy to ignite the cold fuel. Plus your battery really sucks when it's cold out. (Remember, this is many decades ago.) A BALLAST resistor can be designed so that it's resistance is much lower when it's really cold. That effectively "bypasses" the resistor (the resistance at normal temps, that is) and the engine could start. Supposedly lots of grandpas used to jumper their (apparently defective) ballast resistor to start on cold days (sorry, I don't recall that). Obviously, using a bypass wire "bypasses" this feature entirely. And not too many use their Ski Nautiques for ice breaking.

4. "Running Current Limiter"

As the RPM's increase, the spark energy is provided faster and faster; the effective resistance of the coil-points circuit decreases, allowing more current. As that additional current flows through the ballast resistor, it heats it, and the ballast resistor's increasing resistance with increasing temperature could balance this behavior and limit the current through the coil when running.

So... for our engines, what might I believe?

Starting Boost (normal or low-temp)... nope.

Current Limiter (running or not)... I think one or both of these are the reason we need a ballast resistor if we don't have an "internal resistance coil".

And why don't we need the resistor bypass wire? Because we don't boat in very cold temperatures.

Like I said, time to laugh...

I can take it.   

Steve
64stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 11:26am
Thank you Steve

I always learn something here, I did not know that. Good explanation of the misconceptions (mine), and how it works.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic