NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much transmission oil?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much transmission oil?
    Posted: July-29-2013 at 4:11pm
Don't remember and can't find anywhere how much oil goes in a Velvet Drive. Anyone?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 4:42pm
Seems like when I do my changes it only takes about a quart. I run more than needed because my boat has always sloshed the oil off the sump in a hard right hand power turn. Grab two quarts for your change and you will have left over for top offs.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:43pm
Eric always said to measure what came out, then you know how much to put back in.   If you're just topping off, put it in the water and check the dipstick until it's full .
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:08am
I just did mine. I thought it was 1.3 quarts. Check after hot and right after you shut it off.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 10:09am
I've heard many times there is a lot of variance in the dip sticks.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 10:10am
Do you have to check it in the water? If I wanted to check while on the trailer is this OK as long as the trailer is level?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:31pm
Only thing I read about checking it was if the tranny was off the motor and the tranny was level then you needed to add less. Since its mounted at an angle with the motor the dipstick should be correct. I did not tighten the dipstick to check level. Only put it back in.

I can see why the above poster mentioned that the dipsticks have a lot of varience. When you turn the t to tighten or loosen the length of the dipstick changes.

O, and don't be retarded for minute while checking it on the boat and stand on one side. I strattled the engine so the boat was level.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I've heard many times there is a lot of variance in the dip sticks.

Somewhat correct Zach. If you look at a dispstick for the tranny, you'll see that they are threaded with a washer and a thick rubber stopper just below the T-Handle. If you're having a problem with them being too loose, just screw them in a little bit until the stopper is more snug. Then give the T-Handle another quarter turn after it's seated. That locks it in place and you can't remove it without unscrewing it a quarter turn again. Also makes it completely watertight so you don't have to worry about water in the fluid in case the bilge gets flooded.

So yes, the dipstick is different lengths depending on the how much it gets screwed in to fit the tranny and the condition of the rubber stopper. I gotta believe it shouldn't change drastically though from one extreme to another.

Jesus, HW and Quinner could have a field day with this response

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:59pm
Let the games begin.
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:46pm
What if the rubber stopper is not OEM?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 9:41pm
Thanks folks!
Now to find a pump to get the old out. Seems impossible, tried locally and in the nearest bigger town but nothing.
Any ideas how to make one?
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 10:13pm
Turkey baster on a hose? No auto parts store has a manual fluid transfer pump?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 3:08am
Well there's another 1 or 2 stores that I can try in the other town, but the looks they gave me in the stores where I asked don't give me much hope.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 3:22am
Seen it mentioned that people have used the pump out of the shampoo or hand soap bottles with success.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 12:39pm
:) Something along those lines is what I was thinking of. Let's see what I can find.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 12:48pm
The transmission is a pump.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 2:32pm
Could use a hose and stick it from the tranny and down thru the drain plug hole in the boat and suck on it, old school. It doesn't taste that bad.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

The transmission is a pump.

This is very true. Eric has mentioned it several time that you can remove the supply hose to the cooler and use the trans itself to pump out most of the ATF. However, I'm not convinced on the idea. There's something that bothers me about running a trans with low ATF. A marine trans has very little in common with an automotive but, the ATF is still used as a lubricant in a marine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic