Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate Failure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sunshinecustoms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshinecustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper Plate Failure
    Posted: July-29-2013 at 8:57pm
Just wanted to share. Last two weekends on the lake our 1986 Ski Nautique 351 had a rattle noise that sounded like it was coming from the transmission. During a hard pull it shifted in to what seemed to be neutral and wouldn't move. Had to be towed in. I pulled it apart today and found the damper plate had come apart. Luckily nothing else was damaged. Thought I'd share some photos.

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 10:07pm
Deja vu... wasn't there a thread here about this just a few weeks ago?

Just goes to show that the damper plate is a maintenance item.

Welcome to the forums David. Lets see some pics and details about your boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshinecustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:19am
Love my 86 Ski Nautique. Had it for about 10 years.

Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 9:12am
And I thought the one I pulled out of my '87 was bad! You win.
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 10:46pm

So I guess everything happens in 3s. I was running out to do some fishing and felt like my transmission dropped out 5 miles offshore. This damper is only 1 1/2 old has about 300h on it. What could have caused this to fail? There are some cracks and 1 spring completely broke thru.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Deja vu... wasn't there a thread here about this just a few weeks ago?

Damper Plate!

Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

This damper is only 1 1/2 old has about 300h on it. What could have caused this to fail? There are some cracks and 1 spring completely broke thru.

Metal fatigue caused it to fail. The corrosion built up on yours probably had a hand in it's demise too... constant torque loads from the engine to the tranny thru the damper plate is gonna stress out the springs/metal eventually. When it goes....it goes.... Here's mine....

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 4:09am
Where'd you guys learn how to replace this plate? I'd be afraid to pull the trans apart.

Should the plate be replaced occasionally... and how often?

Thanks.
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Where'd you guys learn how to replace this plate? I'd be afraid to pull the trans apart.

Should the plate be replaced occasionally... and how often?

Thanks.

The plate is actually not within the transmission but part of the interface between the motor and transmission so the transmission itself does not have to come apart, but the transmission does have to be separated from the motor.

As the names implies it "dampens" the torque delivered from the engine to the transmission so there is a little give when you put the boat in gear or firewall the throttle. The damper plate is bolted to the flywheel. Into this clutch-like plate slides the splined input shaft, so the damper plate acts as coupler between the engine and the transmission and all torque is transmitted through it.

There is a list of steps here that was helpful to me getting mine out.

I don't think the damper plate needs to be replaced unless it fails or begins to rattle, possibly indicating loose or missing springs or bolts. If the transmission is pulled for some other reason, inspect the plate for cracks and for broken or missing springs, if it looks OK you can leave it, or just go ahead and replace it if you want to spend the money to do it now instead of later, but that could be a lot later because the plates can last a long time.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

I don't think the damper plate needs to be replaced unless it fails or begins to rattle, possibly indicating loose or missing springs or bolts. If the transmission is pulled for some other reason, inspect the plate for cracks and for broken or missing springs, if it looks OK you can leave it

I think this is false economy - the part is not expensive & has a finite life. I changed mine at 800 hours just cause it had 800 hours on it.    
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

I don't think the damper plate needs to be replaced unless it fails or begins to rattle, possibly indicating loose or missing springs or bolts. If the transmission is pulled for some other reason, inspect the plate for cracks and for broken or missing springs, if it looks OK you can leave it

I think this is false economy - the part is not expensive & has a finite life. I changed mine at 800 hours just cause it had 800 hours on it.    

I gotta agree with Chris on this one. Mine had about 800 hrs on it when she blew apart.

It all depends on how you drive the boat. Allot of slamming the throttle and transitioning from forward to reverse without pausing first will wear out a damper faster. Planes are retired from service after so many cycles because of metal fatigue from pressurizing them over and over again. They do have a limited lifespan.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 1:17pm
To me 800 boat hours is a long time
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 1:24pm
10-4
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 2:34pm
I installed that Sachs plate which seems like a way better plate then the one from ski dim. Transmission shifts into gear like butter now. I also had a dirty neutral before that is now fixed since I replaced dampner.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 3:37pm

I installed that Sachs plate which seems like a way better plate then the one from ski dim.

It's been mentioned several times that the Sachs is the best plate and I agree. They use a square bottom seat (top and bottom) for the springs. From a mechanical standpoint, it doesn't put extra stress on the first coil of the springs like the cheap stamped spring pockets do. For springs to work properly, they need to have ground ends and sit on flat basses top and bottom. The only problem is Sachs doesn't make a plate for the PCM trans!!     BTW Skidim does NOT have good pricing on their plates.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:25am
Question: Is this the same Sachs that produced motorcycles/engines in the 70's? I had a Sachs 100 6-speed wrong-side-kick in my youth that just plain flew, indestructable bike that would blow the Elsinores & YZ's right off the trail........
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I installed that Sachs plate which seems like a way better plate then the one from ski dim.

It's been mentioned several times that the Sachs is the best plate and I agree. They use a square bottom seat (top and bottom) for the springs. From a mechanical standpoint, it doesn't put extra stress on the first coil of the springs like the cheap stamped spring pockets do. For springs to work properly, they need to have ground ends and sit on flat basses top and bottom. The only problem is Sachs doesn't make a plate for the PCM trans!!     BTW Skidim does NOT have good pricing on their plates.

Suspense is killing me...who sells them cheaper?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 12:34am
Ebasic power has been mentioned as a cheaper choice...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshinecustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 12:34am
Just got the new plate from Sachs. Looks great. Installed the plate and re-installed the transmission this evening. Can't wait for a test run this weekend. I included an awesome link.

http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/PCMEngineOwnersManual.pdf
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Sunshinecustoms Sunshinecustoms wrote:

Just got the new plate from Sachs. Looks great. Installed the plate and re-installed the transmission this evening. Can't wait for a test run this weekend. I included an awesome link.

http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/PCMEngineOwnersManual.pdf

Hope the test goes well! Where did you get the Sachs damper plate? Any chance you have a part number? Thanks.

ernest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshinecustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 7:01pm
I found it on ebay. This is the parts number on the listing 1004-650-006. New in Sachs box, just over 100 dollars.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 8:58am
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic