Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakesurfing behind a 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
19872001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19872001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakesurfing behind a 2001
    Posted: July-31-2013 at 6:47pm
Interested in trying to wake surf with a 1987 ski nautique. Can you do it with out ballast and just alot of people or do you need fat sacs and what size board should i use
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
FCsn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FCsn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 2:45am
I use a Liquid Force fish 5'6", cheap and durable skim style surfboard, works great behind my 86' ski nautique, have not had much luck with just people weight, I need over 1500lbs ballast in the back and a few people to make it work good. We were able to surf both sides of the wake by moving people from one side to another. speed was 9-12mph.

video:
Wakesurfing behind 86 Ski Nautique 2001
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 3:24am
I also have a 5'6" (Hyperlite) but bigger is easier.
I'm normally using one 540 in the back and one 540 on the side where we're surfing, plus at least 2 persons on that same side. Distribute persons evenly along the side (not all in the back) or the wave will be really short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdsH8ymoww
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 11:29am
Here's TRIP's video embedded.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
19872001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19872001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 2:37pm
How low is the boat sitting in the water with 2 540's plus people
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 5:17pm
On a 2001 hull you need to almost bury the rub rail on the surfing side to make it decent.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 6:31pm
Yup, pretty low. I always ask the people in the boat to switch sides as soon as the rider falls.
It's certainly not as convenient as NSS or Surfgate, but then again for the price to add NSS you can almost buy a 2001 ;)
gottigers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottigers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 7:44pm
We have never tried wake surfing in our 2001 SN.
Is it possible without ballast or "water sacs"?
Thinking about buying a wake surfboard just to try it out.

I really do not think I want to buy water pumps, etc.etc. if it is possible without all the ballast gear - not even sure we will enjoy surfing the wake, so hate to spend lots of dough just to try it out.

Has anyone tried to wakesurf behind the 2001 SN without ballast? how is it?
1988 Ski Nautique
351W PCM
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by gottigers gottigers wrote:

Impossible.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Originally posted by gottigers gottigers wrote:

Impossible.

Famous last words Bret... Plenty of examples in human history of something being impossible but later proven wrong.

I've not seen it done but MAYBE it could be done if you used a LONGboard type of Surfboard instead of the modern day short/stubby wakesurf boards.

**EDIT** Checked youtube for Vids on wakesurfing with a Longboard and there are quite a few there. Many are behind outboards which is truly an unsafe practice so therefore I won't post them here... My guess is YES you can if you use a Longboard.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:25am
If you have some heavy friends, have them sit on the floor next to the doghouse!

If you don't expect to surf 'rope-free', then I think it can be done with human ballast.

+1 on a big board. We got the inland surfer Blue Lake, is easy to control. I can't surf rope free for more than 30 seconds.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:29am
If you want to try it without buying ballast bags and pumps take a few 55 gallon plastic trash barrels and start to fill them with a bucket(put them in the boat first).

Once you get the boat to the rub rail it can be surfed, the wave is short and doesnt have a whole lot of push but it will sustain ropeless surfing indefinitely.

Try not to die, or sink your boat.      
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:37am
Basically what Joe is saying a 2001 is not the boat to surf haha.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Basically what Joe is saying a 2001 is not the boat to surf haha.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying too, in fewer words. LOL. Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done effectively? No.
A slow gradual arc to the surfing side will also help but it isn't always possible, especially in a river setting.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 11:20am
It can be done but you'll be working "hard" to stay in the wave - my daughter could stay in the wave behind our Mustang on a 5'6" LF "Fish" when she was 10 & 11. This is what it looks like when I was behind our Mustang which is smaller than the 2001 there was not enough wave to push me forward - boat had no ballast except for the family. If your just having fun work with what you have if you expect to ride across the lake don't have too high expectations Good Lucksurf
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 11:22am
I would be scared to death of my boat with 1500 lbs on one side in rough waters .

I stuck my roomates and myself in the back corner of the boat one night on open water and it looked presentable but I have never surfed and I am used to seeing these boats in the shop with NSS on them. Clearly the new tech kills anything made previously.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 1:31pm
The ski rope used in the video is a no-no. It needs to be a big fat rope (1 inch dia) so you don't take a finger off when you fall.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 1:40pm
Look at the thumb thread so you can see what a rope can do haha!
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 1:33am
My son can do it behind our '83 SN with 550 lb Fat Sac with no problem but he only weighs 70 lbs. I'm going to buy another sac and see if I can do it. So far I can't stay in it for more than 10 secs. I weigh 210 lbs.

Here is a vid of my son last weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOE7C-Ipdk
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 4:11am
Surf gate. Check out what Thaddeus has accomplished.

I have a wooden bolt-on prototype that is out in the flow like the Malibu, but our testing got postponed due to a carb leak. Now we're hoping for something warmer than 60 degrees.

Join us in our testing!

Steve
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 11:06am
Now that is innovation! Very impressive!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
danywakeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danywakeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 12:30am
I Got a Super Air nautique, however i need some help how to create the correct wave no the boat, how many pounds in the back, in the middle in the front, can somebody help me, i got a super air nautique 210 year 2001
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 1:28pm
This thread was not only from 4 years ago, but it was talking about the "2001" models of direct-drive boats made in the 80's. I've followed some of the suggestions made here if you're looking for pointers on your Super Air.

On topic (resurrecting the original topic) I have surfed with a small 5'4" board, can't remember which one, behind a 2001 with no ballast and only two people on board. One hung off the tower, and one sat in the rear corner, both guys weighed about 200lb. However, I couldn't move from one spot when I let go of the rope. BUT I could ride without the rope forever, so long as I didn't move, haha. I weigh about 145.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 1:33pm
Go to the top of the General thread section and read about the Nauticurl Wake Shaper !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic