Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it my fuel filter?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it my fuel filter?
    Posted: August-03-2013 at 11:08pm
Boat lost power today. Was not getting gas and finally shut down. It would not start back up at that time although the engine was spinning fine. After several minutes, I beat on the FCC and tried the ignition. It started and I headed to the dock. It is a 99 Pro Air Nautique with electronic fuel ignition. I am assuming it is the FCC but I don't really know. Any ideas?
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 11:57pm
I'd check the hose in the FCC, and would also check the anti-siphon valve in your tank.   if you have a fuel pressure guage, that could be an issue too, you could check the pump pressure... that could also be the issue.   Fuel filters are easy and cheap.   Probably the first thing I'd change just to make sure that wasn't the issue
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:04am
Thank, I will try the filter first. Is it available at an autoparts store?
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:19am
Probably not available at an auto parts store. N3 will have it. You might want to get the "tube inside the FCC@ while you're at it. Any place that sells the filter will know what you're asking for.

Do you think beating on the FCC definitely helped? If so, that would make me think the high pressure pump itself was on the way out. Of course, it could have just needed time to cool off, which would point to the pump again or one of the relays.
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 12:24am
Don't really know. However, it was not hot. Had just left the sandbar where we had been for an hour. Only traveled about 200-300 yards when it stopped. It did the same thing once last week but it did not stop. It lost power for a few seconds but then corrected itself. I assumed it was trash in the line. Today it stopped and would not restart for about 10 minutes.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 9:42am
First determine if your fuel pumps run by listening for them to spool up pressure when you turn the ig key to run, (about 2 seconds). The fuel pump power is supplied from the main battery with a separate lead, about a 10 gauge wire with a 50A fuse and fuse holder located in the battery box. Looks like a short, black stubby cigar. This holder has been known for corrosion and intermittently losing power to the fuel pump. I recently cut out this fuse and holder and replaced it with one from NAPA, and eliminated my erratic stalling/no start condition.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 10:00am
Todd PCM did a modification to remove that 50A fuse and wiring totally.

I investigated it and found this to be the simplest method.
EEC Power Retrofit
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 5:51pm
Tried to take the canister off to inspect the filter and I can't get the canister off. I assume it just spins off.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 5:58pm
post a picture... Mine has a bolt in the top that comes off, but there is possibly more than one style. some take the fuel filter canister out, chuck it up in a vice and go to town on it that way.   They can be tricky to get apart.

parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 7:13pm
I took the boat to the good folks at H2O Sports in Dothan AL. They already repaired it. It was the fuel filter and he said that it took 2 people to get the old one off. Same day service!
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic