Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

intense vibrating, intermittent

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jackkloepfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intense vibrating, intermittent
    Posted: August-12-2013 at 12:56pm
I can't discribe this too accurately, as I was behind the boat when it occured.

my wife discribed it as more of a 'buzz' type of vibration. as though the rear of the boat had turned into a giant cell phone.

we have had other 'wobbly' or 'wahsing machine' type of vibrations before that was due to having something stuck on the prop, but this was not like that, according to her.

we were wakeboarding, everything else was normal (temp etc)

after I came into the boat to observe, I had her run the boat just above idle speed while I examined the shaft spinning. I didn't see anything of concern.

what are the possible issues that I could be having, here?

thanks in advance.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 3:37pm
Intermitten trans slip maybe?
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 3:38pm
Check your fluid level accurately.
jackkloepfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Bones71 Bones71 wrote:

Check your fluid level accurately.

I will give that a go. thanks. didn't consider the transmission.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 7:36pm
Shaft packing too tight?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 7:45pm
I was thinking later that maybe someone might have had their feet on the doghouse and you might have hit a wave and pushed the cover into the belt pulley? I know we have done that and it feels like a phone vibrating. ??
cooperlacy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooperlacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 8:50pm
I have come across two other things that manifested themselves as "false" vibrations. The first was a bad spark plug. At low speed this wasn't noticeable, but at high speed it felt exactly like shaft vibration. When I coincidentally decided to change the plugs, one of them had a loose porcelain insulator. New plug and the vibration was gone.

Another "false" vibration came one time when I hit a 10" piece of 2x4. We stopped the boat and I felt the prop and everything seemed normal. We started again and had pretty bad vibration. It turns out I hit the 2x4 just perfectly and it stuck on the front tracking fin. I pulled it off and was vibration free!

Good luck.
Cooper
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 10:17pm
Is the prop seated on the shaft? Did you lap it to the shaft when you installed it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 12:10am
What does lap it to the shaft mean? I ask because I will at some point have to put my prop back on. tips? Thanks.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 4:26am
Proper prop installation
Also, is there play in the cutlass bearing due to wear?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic