Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40
    Posted: August-12-2013 at 6:45pm
Solved.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 6:57pm
So it cranks but no run?
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 7:14pm
Yea cranks but hard//no starting unless wot sorry that was pretty important
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 9:26pm
When it starts with WOT does it take a moment to clear and then run OK? If it does it sounds like it was flooded. Possible leaking injector, check for loss of fuel pressure when engine is off.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 9:59pm
Nope just idles like nothing was wrong I pulled the injectors and they don't seem to leak at all. Primed the rail and not a drop of fuel out pf them until the inkector blew off the rail the second or third prime.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 12:09am
OK I would start looking at the TPS (Throttle position sensor). The reference section has the GT40 manual and resistance values for the TPS.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 12:34am
Went ahead and tested the tps the voltages were correct based on the chart in the RM. I also noticed when I was checking the injectors the plenum gasket looked wet on the back 4 runners. Went ahead and put a new gasket on after cleaning everything up. Cleaned up the FCC also changed the inline fuel filter that was installed by the previous owner. Someone in the shop at work had mentioned it sounded either like a tps or MAP sensor. So I went ahead and put a new map sensor on just for the heck of it. The cost was $35 from autozone with Toyotas commercial account there. Anywho threw it all back together took the boat out fired up the first try ran it around the lake and she screamed the Perfect Pass showed 5020 RPM and 45MPH where as before i though the boat had plenty of power but I was only seeing 4200 rpm at WOT. I guess we will see this weekend if my issue is fully resolved.
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 11:54pm
Well went out to the lake a day early to put the boat in and as usual fired right up when i first put it in. came back down around 30 minutes later and once again cranks but no start. :( Guess I better keep hunting.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 8:59pm
Sounds like a possible heat soak problem. Can you hear the pumps run for the prime cycle when ignition is switched to on position. This is a great starting point for any non start problems on the GT40.

I would also get a pressure gauge to test that it has correct fuel pressure when it will not start.

This Old GT40 Thread has lots of information that may help.

Will it still start if you go WOT? That is the weird part about your non start problem.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:10pm
Yea today went out and boat would not run unless I opened the throttle to wot. 20psi the first prime then 40psi as soon as I cranked and no start unless wot. Took it for a hard run ima go down in a little and see if it'll fire after heat soaking.
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:14pm
I just wanna throw a real curve here. If I were to pull the boat put it in the garage and put it back in the water tomorrow the first startup would not be an issue.
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:55pm
Well went down boat wouldn't start smacked the IAC a few times and bam fired right up
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 2:27am
The IAC will not stop the engine from starting. May not idle that well but should still start. "Adjusting" (smacking) the IAC should have no effect except if you have a bad electrical connection somewhere.

Just to confirm, when it will not start you have approx. 40psi fuel pressure and the pumps are performing there prime cycle. The manual states the fuel rail should maintain within 3 psi of the approx 40psi for 3 minutes. I would jumper the STO and run the pumps for 30 secs to get your initial 40 psi for this leakdown test.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 9:14am
Yea 40 psi and it holds I left the gauge on came down 20 minutes later and still had 38 psi
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 8:26pm
I hit other places today and the boats did start kne of then was the tfi module I'm at a loss here
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by AndrewB AndrewB wrote:

I hit other places today and the boats did start kne of then was the tfi module I'm at a loss here

????

Not sure what is going on with that post. Need a better description than that of symptoms.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 9:07pm
Yea sorry about that I was talking to another guy on the boat. I was tapping the coil and the tfi module not very hard but enough to vibrate them.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 9:36pm
Does the boat always Start when you apply full throttle?
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 9:46pm
Bri yes everytime wot fires
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 9:51pm

Bri yes everytime wot fires

Then the question is: What is different about the WOT condition?

I know some fuel injected cars used to go into a flood clearing mode like a carb'd under WOT. Like, they'll cut fuel to let it clear.

Do you get any kind of black smoke or anything when it fires after not firing?

What other parameters change under WOT (kind of putting that question out there for lewy and others).
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 10:07pm
Tps voltage is different but as far as commanded fuel and spark values I am not sure i have not ran into it in the service manual yet.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 10:08pm
I'm thinking Coolant Temp Sensor.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R020024
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 1:08am
Why the Coolant Temp Sensor you ask?

When this sensor isn't working, the ECU has to assume the engine is cold and makes a richer fuel mixture, kind of like a choke.

When the engine is actually cold, this assumption is correct and it starts fine.

When the engine is warm, this assumption is NOT correct, and the engine won't start.

However, when you give it WOT it overrides the enrichning mode and goes into the flood clearing/less fuel mode which allows it to start.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 9:52am
Easy way to prove that theory Brian break out the multimeter and measure the resistance of ECT when cold and after reaching operating temperature.

From my understanding when the engine is in cranking mode it does not read info from the TPS the mixture is controlled by the cranking map that is between 2:1 and 12:1 (air to fuel) depending on engine temp from ECT sensor.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 1:00pm
Ect sensor checked ok after going a few more pages found out those resistances should be in Kilo ohms and not ohm.
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2013 at 10:39pm
Ok guys so far thanks to my great friends at auto zone who let me return parts. I have swapped a new tps, new iac, new map. Still the same issue after boat sits will only fire at wot. Today it seemed to stumble on first start not at wot like it wanted to fire but just didn't have enough of something. Then wot I went and fired right up.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 1:42am
Andrew, I would remove the TPS from throttle body but still electrically connected and see if it is actually having the throttle butterfly open that is helping the restart (correcting an over rich condition). Not the different resistance from the TPS at WOT that is allowing engine to start.

It may be a ECM heatsoak problem but I hope not.

89 Ski

AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 2:18am
Ahh thanks that's a good plan I am also going to check the air charge temp sensor. Which has the same job as the ect also. Ima be out of town for work but ill update this weekend and hopefully have an answer.
AndrewB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 2:21am
And ecm heatsoak doesn't make sense to me. If I were to pull the boat every night it would start every morning without an issue. When I leave it in the water overnight wot is a must in the morning.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2013 at 3:50am

And ecm heatsoak doesn't make sense to me. If I were to pull the boat every night it would start every morning without an issue. When I leave it in the water overnight wot is a must in the morning.

Are you saying it is different if the boat stays in the water overnight compared to pulled and put on trailer for the evening???

I was understanding that you only needed WOT after the engine had run and then allowed to heat soak with engine cover closed for 20-30 mins.

If it requires WOT next morning on a cold engine then that is something different to previous described symptoms.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic