Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 stringer repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 stringer repair
    Posted: August-12-2013 at 9:08pm
Just finished getting everything out of the hull with the exception of the steering cable. I have snapped a few pics. During its life someone apparently attempted a scab repair to the secondary stringers and made a bit of a mess of it. I have read the other threads and have a couple of questions.
My plan is completely remove all the wood and replace with new wood and foam like it was originally.

1. The floor(deck) looks like it is good shape and may pop up in one piece after cutting the edges. Can this be re-used? It seems it would be OK if I sanded and sandwiched it between new glass mat it would help reduce the cost.

2. What is the dimension of material I need to search for the stringers 2x8, 2x10, etc ....? I can not tell from what I can see.

3. There seems to many thoughts on the amount of cloth. I prefer the long strips along the fore/aft line. Best type of cloth and width schedule for layup?

Thanks in advance, Rex

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 12:39am
Welcome to a great project! It has been a few years since I restrung my 73 Skier so my details are beginning to get fuzzy, but the members here were awesome at helping me out and a couple of them have become good friends. The others I just have not met yet!

Originally posted by rapok4 rapok4 wrote:

1. The floor(deck) looks like it is good shape and may pop up in one piece after cutting the edges. Can this be re-used? It seems it would be OK if I sanded and sandwiched it between new glass mat it would help reduce the cost.

No this will not work because your new lay up will not be exactly the same as this one. You will have dead spaces that will flex and crack. Not to mention this is the same floor that allowed all the water intrusion from the beginning.

2. What is the dimension of material I need to search for the stringers 2x8, 2x10, etc ....? I can not tell from what I can see.

My Skier was 2x8 this is about where I started discussing wood. 73 Skier Restoration

3. There seems to many thoughts on the amount of cloth. I prefer the long strips along the fore/aft line. Best type of cloth and width schedule for layup?

You are correct on the fore/aft running pieces. I used 2 layers each of 2", 4" and 8" tape and the capped it all off with 12" biaxial.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:14am
Rex,
Strip everything down to the bare hull. I think you will find there are big problems under the sole (floor). Don't forget the wood in the transom. Get it out as well. From the pictures, it looks like a PO did a hack job and laid a new sole over the old rot. Do NOT plan on reusing any of the old. Read the great threads on stringer jobs here on site. Ask questions when needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 8:50am
It is definitely getting stripped to the bare hull. I am to OCD to do a job half a... I am pulling my kids! When I pulled the swim platform bracket lags a 3/8" stream of water came out! Thanks for the info on the glass schedule. I will be using it. Every wood I have touched is rotten. I am trying to source material now. Thanks again for the help.
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:07am
Keeganino I just went through your thread (3rd time)!! The primaries you went with are 2x8x12 Douglas Fir and the secondaries are 1x6x10 Douglas Fir? Is that correct?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for the help.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:33am
Take plenty of pictures as it now. Sketch it as it now,then take plenty of measurements.
Funny how your mind can play tricks on you,when your a couple of months into a project this size.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:35pm

Keeganino I just went through your thread (3rd time)!! The primaries you went with are 2x8x12 Douglas Fir and the secondaries are 1x6x10 Douglas Fir? Is that correct?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for the help.

That sounds right. I could not find it in my thread and my invoice for the wood I bought is safely tucked away! Was definitely DF and very pretty. I am pretty sure that there is a detailed materials list for my epoxy and glass order. It is just a matter of finding it in the thread. Of course your boat is bigger so the numbers are not going to be the same. Yours is a Ski Nautique? Mine is a Skier which is only 16'.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:41pm
Rex,
The Doug Fir may be hard to find in your area. An alternate is LVL. There is one thread on a member using it for his stringer job. It turned out great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 8:07pm
Yes, Ski Nautique, I can pull the floor and measure the whole length. I did see the thread with LVL. I would prefer Douglas Fir but will keep the LVL as my secondary if unavailable or cost restrictive. I am not to worried about the glass/epoxy as I have a local yard that will sell wholesale to me.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 8:21pm
You really don't need Doug fir for the secondaries. 3/4" pine is fine.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:16pm
Just did my '85 a couple years ago so let me give you some tips?
1) Take one side out at a time that way you have a reference for height, length, shape, so on and so on.
2) Get a 4" masonry diamond wheel for cutting and grinding along with 4" 3M 24 & 36 grit paint buster discs for grinding and sanding.
3) Remove the foam in blocks with a hand saw and wonder bar.(save a huge mess)
4) This is up to you; I stopped removing the floor at the end of the stringers then hollowed out the wet foam from under the bow. This saved a lot of money in glass and time in rebuilding the air box. The wood floor stops at the battery box you'll see.

This is the start

Removing the foam in blocks (easy peezy lemon squeezy)

One side removed using original side for reference

Final framing "NO FOAM" going back in

Final product

rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the tips. It came out beautiful, well done.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:22pm
If you need to check stringer sizes I have them drawn up in my thread... its the same hull but pre engine cradel so you just need to copy what you have now around the cradel.

At the bottom of this page.

UK's 78 SN

Good luck with your build.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:53pm
Paul, that thing looks great dude! Put it back together haha!

Is that garage floor coating in the bilge? I bet that is super resistant to things like fuel and oil.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

If you need to check stringer sizes I have them drawn up in my thread... its the same hull but pre engine cradel so you just need to copy what you have now around the cradel.

UK's 78 SN

Roger, that CAD file may come in very useful for me if those stringers are the same shape on my 82 tique..
'82 Ski Tique
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 7:14pm
Thanks, I added them to my hand drawings. I will have to convert either mine or yours. I think it will be easier just to remeasure mine!

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Paul, that thing looks great dude! Put it back together haha!

Is that garage floor coating in the bilge? I bet that is super resistant to things like fuel and oil.

Yes it's epoxy floor paint it has held up extremely well.
It will be back together one way or another in the spring hopefully with a stroker.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 7:27am
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

UK's 78 SN

Roger, that CAD file may come in very useful for me if those stringers are the same shape on my 82 tique..

Graham, yes you are right they should work for you too...as i said you just need to mod the top for the engine cradle, if you have access to drawing printer then yes print a full size copy as a template and pre cut your stringers an 1/8 or so big hull side for final scribing into your hull before you take her apart when the time comes.

We have some other wood options you may won’t to think about in the UK/Europe that are not readily available in the US.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 11:06am
Wow, that looks amazing. I hope I never have to do this on my '92
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 9:47pm
Great, yes I'm pretty sure I would be able to run off a scaled copy at work - we bought a printer the size of a piano last year for processing CAD drawings during a new factory build.

Please let me know before hand if you ever decide to delete the file!!!
Thanks muchly

Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

UK's 78 SN

Graham, yes you are right they should work for you too...as i said you just need to mod the top for the engine cradle, if you have access to drawing printer then yes print a full size copy as a template and pre cut your stringers an 1/8 or so big hull side for final scribing into your hull before you take her apart when the time comes.

We have some other wood options you may won’t to think about in the UK/Europe that are not readily available in the US.

'82 Ski Tique
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 4:33pm
Got the floor up. Not very wet underneath. The scary thing the entire secondary had less 5% wood left! Got out all the foam on the STBD side. Thanks for the tip with then hand saw. I am afraid to go any further on the PORT side until things are repaired on the STBD side. I am going to replace the secondary stringer, then remove the primary and replace it. Here are some pics of with the floor up and the "job super".

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic