NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2015 at 1:38pm
Looking great Bill the dark color makes the chrome script pop out at you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2015 at 2:38pm
Tried a little plasti dip. Hmmmmm

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 12:20am
I spent the weekend sanding, bufffing, polishing and waxing. Moved the boat back on the trailer and got the bow polished. Also the sides where the fenders get in the way. Started getting some hardware on the bow tonight.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 4:39am
She shines quite nicely
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 8:19am
I'll sum up this thread from my POV: Bill like to sand. Bill does good work. Bill likes to sand some more. And Bill does good work.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 9:43pm
Thank you for the compliments. Unfortunately I really don't like sanding very much. Looking forward to glassy water, cold Newcastles, music, wind in my hair and scantily clad females.

WINDSHIELD!!!!

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:05pm
I heartily applaud your taste for Newcastle, but perhaps you oughta switch to Labatt Blue.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2015 at 1:27am
Are you putting your fiberglass floor pan back in ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2015 at 5:13pm
My floor pan was destroyed. Hacked up, and glass was rotten. Solid fir deck glassed over with 2 layers of chop and gelcoated. Thinking hard about installing some blue seadeck.

Getting closer.

close by dangerwil_op, on Flickr[/IMG]
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2015 at 5:41pm
man this is awesome! I just can't believe the effort some of you guys put into these old boats!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2015 at 10:45pm
How about your windshield is that original ? Did you flip the boat ? I must have missed that.
Looking good Bill, I just pulled my engine so I have a ways to go .
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 12:16am
Windshield is original wet sanded and buffed out. Still has some scratches, but nice and clear. Beats the alternative of $600 plus shipping from UPD.

For gelcoating the hull, I built a cradle consisting of 2 stands, one fore, one aft. I did the exposed section, Then I lightly sanded the joint area and moved the stands. It came out perfect. If I ever wet sand and buff the bottom there would be no seam.

It was an unbelievable amount of work, but looking at the shiny hull, it seems worth it now...
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 8:59pm
Busy, busy, busy. Not a lot of time for the Mustang. I got the boat all cleaned up and ready to put the engine in, hopefully Tuesday.

Spent Friday and Saturday picking up my next project. A 1968 Glastron v-174 160hp : )

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 9:48pm
Bill,
From the debris, it looks like you'll have plenty of work ahead of you on the Glastron. The first thing you should do is get rid of that orange cylindrical thing on the engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2015 at 10:20pm
Luv the Glastron!   That is a fast little hull.   My fav's were the 163 and 164 Bayflite's.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 10:47pm
Great news! Engine is in and aligned. 12' of 3" exhaust hose on the way from jamestown distributors.   

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 12:22am
What an interesting twist on a Mustang! I applaud the custom work, it's a pain to make it look right.

What do you plan to do for a rubrail and seating?
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 4:10pm
Thank you. Standard Taco rub rail.

EXHAUST!!!

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 6:39pm
Here's what is next, and we don't even have any metal flake.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2015 at 8:06pm
That is a great picture!
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 11:36pm
Spent today running wires and fuel line. Got the gas tank mounted and filler and vent installed. Just need to connect wiring.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 12:49am
Looking great,bet you can't wait. Doesn't look like you have much to go. If those are copper straps on the aluminum gas tank though,you'll need to rethink that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 12:57am
? Its just copper covered plumbers metal strap. Is it going to essplode?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 2:38am
The aluminum and copper especially in combination with dampness do not get along and the aluminum will corrode.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 2:53am
I'm with Gary on this one. Aluminum will be very susceptible to galvanic corrosion in contact with copper if they have an electrolyte such as water. A handbook on corrosion will have galvanic series table. The farther two metals or alloys are separated on the table, faster the corrosion of the less noble of the two will be when they are in contact. You have done a remarkable job, keep up the good work.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:45pm
Noalox or rubber between the copper and aluminum. Gary didn't you ever use the Noalox back when you were a working man?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 7:55pm
No Pete we didn't do anything for preventive work,however peanut butter put on aerial cables for the tree rats worked wonders for OT
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

No Pete we didn't do anything for preventive work,however peanut butter put on aerial cables for the tree rats worked wonders for OT

Now I know why I had the problems with my drop when I went U Verse!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 8:40pm
Could very well be,the statue of limitations is up in my case
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 10:44pm
Ok, for the scientists and engineers. Rubber strips to prevent galvanic corrosion. No big badda boom.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
  Share Topic