NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do ya'll think of the new MC Prostar

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do ya'll think of the new MC Prostar
    Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:04pm
I'll go first:

Not a fan of a picklefork on any boat
Think the open/closed bow convertability is clever
Like the idea of a reclining driver seat.
More walk room b/w the gunnel and motorbox than the old prostar even with skis stowed.
Hate the lack of the windshield sides, but think the functionality would be good.

In case you haven't seen it, here it is:

2014 MC Prostar Video
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:06pm
The windshield sides are an option or so I've read. I think you can order the normal windshield. In fact..I think the convertible style like the one shown is the optional one.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:19pm
For those who havent seen it yet:

As I posted on the other site:

The picklefork seems to be driven entirely by style (which I dont care for)... but other than that, it seems like a really impressive boat. I dont like the look of the windshield, but it seems incredibly functional. Not only do you have great vision and access to your skier (or drop ski, etc) but the integrated bimini is pretty cool and functional as well. Pushing the driver and dash forward is a great move- efficient use of space. I wonder if you can walk between the driver's seat and the engine cover? It will be interesting to see how the bow cover works... it seems a little clunky to put in and take out. For those planning to leave it in, it would be nice if it hinged forward with shocks for easy access to the storage underneath.

Its interesting that MC has mentioned a few times that the new PS is lighter... lighter than what? Ive seen 3300 lbs "fully optioned" listed on MC's facebook page and the "under 3000 lbs" that Marcus mentioned in one of the videos (not sure which is right, if either), but both are higher than the outgoing 197 (2800 lbs dry) and 200 (2850 lbs dry).

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:48pm
Looks are important, and the Prostar has always been alright in that category, really curious about the wake/handling/performance ratings on this thing. Hate the look of a slant back windshield frame but what a great way to mount the bimini and no straps!! They sure took some design cue's from the 200 on it though, lol
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 4:50pm
I don't like the fork and I don't like the double hump way they are going with all the hull sides.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 5:23pm
I'm gettin one! Then I'm a gettin me an Aztek and paintin to match as my tow car
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 5:38pm
Some nice changes but nothing overly impressive.

Not a fan of the Spork Nose.

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm gettin one! Then I'm a gettin me an Aztek and paintin to match as my tow car

Hah! Ugliest. Car. Ever.

I think the Prostar looks great. The windows remind me of the styling of the much-maligned Bayliner Ski Challenger. But, it's a good point about giving you more access.

I missed the integrated bimini that Tim mentioned... gotta look at the video again.

Not sure about the performance reasons for the convertible bow and the pickle fork...

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 9:00pm
That nose does not add much to the looks and not being that wide would add almost zero functionality. Hey MC must think it looks good. The SN 200 has raised the bar so high MC had to do something.

I do like the minimalist interior look and those racks appear functional. Serious skiers would like this style of interior but as a family or group boat with multi water sport usage the lack of storage will not appeal. The bow "hood" in theory is a very good idea but need to see how difficult it is to change from the closed bow to open bow configuration.

The windscreen looks weird but is functional I could learn to tolerate it.

The closest ski school to me has MC 197's, have always thought they were a nice looking boat. I was over there last weekend for a agility dog trial and noticed they have a new Malibu now and one of the MC 197's was missing. I was hoping they would change to Nautique.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

I'm a gettin me an Aztek

Hah! Ugliest. Car. Ever.

Must not have ever seen the AMC Pacer!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:09pm
-Don't like pickleforks on ski boats, including the ones on Nautiques.
-Don't like the look of that windshield. However, functionally, I much prefer that windshield over the wraparounds which have become so popular. . When driving, you should be able to look directly at your skier in the water, not look through a windshield. The driver should also be able to reach out to a dock without having to reach over the windshield. This ugly windshield solves that problem.
- Why would anyone want a reclining seat on a ski boat. Stupid. Not like we don't have enough crappy drivers out there, now we need them lying down like they do in cars. I've had three back surgeries, and there is no issue with a fixed back on a drivers seat.
-Convertable bow. Haven't decided what I think. I beleive I would have to see one. I'm sure they will be popular.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

I'm a gettin me an Aztek

Hah! Ugliest. Car. Ever.

Must not have ever seen the AMC Pacer!

OH...SHAME on the AMC naysayer! My bro had a Gremlin X, ugly but unbelievable little rocket it was, tiny little car with a V8, what fun! My friend also had a Hornet (3-on -the-tree, loved those, why no longer?) in which we sucessfully descended a veeerrry loooonnnng set of cement steps at Quinnipiac College 30+ years ago in a raging blizzard. That car was unkillable.

I'd swap my 74 SW even on a 74 AMX or Javelin anyday. Any takers?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 12:10am
My dad had an orange Gremlin for a little while after blowing the engine on his car on a road trip. Good times...
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 1:57pm
Looks of the boat are growing on me, including the pickle fork. Kudos to MC for being so progressive on a lot of these features. I'd seriously consider this boat if I had the money to buy one (straight out) which will not be in the near future. Not financing a ski boat in this economy.

On the previous 197 hull, the low-speed wake had been a major problem. I mean major. Also, the -22 wake even at 34mph was absolutely brutal IMO. Driver ergonomics were also silly with the steering wheel so far from the dash. There's no denying that those boats were visually stunning, though.

I'm immediately really happy about the new hull because the next time I go to ski school that has MC I can cut it to -22 without worrying about hitting a concrete wall behind the boat.

Sidenote: What an amazing marketing piece this quick video with Marcus was. Good lesson for other ski boat manufacturers as it totally helps sell the boat and explain all the features for pretty much zero dollars. Awesome video.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 2:36pm
I wonder what the difference in construction quality is between the new MC and SN?

I've heard that historically the CC edge was significant (with the exception of MC going to composite stringers first), can't imagine that would be the case anymore
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 2:40pm
-I don't think I like the pickle fork but I'll hold judgement til I see it. I hate it on the wakeboard boats though. It looks entirely like a styling queue though since it is so minimal it can't make much difference in seating. The fork and the hump are clearly the Mastercraft thing now, just like Malibu is going for the stealthy look.
- The hump actually looks good on some of their boats from a distance so I'll reserve judgement on that too.
- The windshield looks terrible to me. Reminds me of an old Evinrude boat.
I'm not sure when wrapping a windshield became such a problem for maintaining openness next to the driver. My boat has side windows and yet it stops short of the throttle. My least favorite thing about my friends' Malibu Responses is how tightly you're packed into the drivers seat.
-I like the interior but I'd like to see more picks. I love the ski racks. I've never had side lockers so I don't know how much I'd like them but having access to the skis without having them on the floor is great.
- The bow cover seems like a decent idea. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over time.
- If it skis as well as a 200 but has better fuel economy and high-end performance, then the bar has been raised for CC to improve which will be fun to see.
All in all, I think its great to see the investment in direct drive slalom boats. I just wish I could afford one!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 3:32pm
So is it really only shorter because they chopped the nose off? Bow cover seems like a rattle trap. Lots of classic MC "innovations". Windshield had been done before, same with ski racks and the gauge screen. They basically slam the 197 the whole time, lol.

I want to knowing about the hull.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 3:40pm
While at the National Show Ski Tournament this weekend I got to be up close and personal with...

1. SN 200
1. SAN 210
2. MC PS214V
3. MC X46
4. Tige RZ2
5. Tige RZ4
6. Sanger DXII (Kick butt BF boat from what it looks!)
7. Sanger V237
8. Sanger V210

I'm sure I'm biased a little...the fit and finish on the CC's were all above the rest IMO. MC was VERY close...The rub rails on the MC's are not my flavor. What baffled me is the Tige RZ boats had sticker prices of over 100k...wouldn't you just drop that on a CC then if you're not getting the budge price any more? Their interiors were plain and lacked the stitching where I wanted.

The only newerish MC I've ever driven was a 2005ish PS197 and it drove absolutely terribly. Hard turning, mushy when it did turn, slow out of the hole...really gave me a bad taste for them. Handling was awful IMO. Again..only one boat but unfortunately it gave me a bad feeling about them.

EDIT: Hope I got the boat names right, I didn't pay as close attention to them. There were a lot of bikinis there this year.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I want to knowing about the hull.

Post #9.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 6:46pm
Great photo, I have always loved those old Evinrude boats, and the old MFG's but I am hopelessly stuck on Memory Lane. Ya just don't see many tri-hulls these days and I loved 'em. ...I don't like the new spork-bow boats but if you squint you can see a little tri-hull DNA...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 7:11pm
Our neighbor 2 doors down on Lake Norman had an Evinrude and a guy I used to ski/ board with on Mountain Island Lake outside Charlotte also had one. He used to use a bunch of 30 gallon adhesive tanks filled with water to ballast it. He was the first guy I ever saw pull a legit air raley. This was circa 1994 or so. They are just stylish enough to be retro cool.
The photo you linked Tim also caught my eye. Some interesting things going on there. Seeing more pics of the interior, it looks like they are grabbing some of the minimalist interior features of a Carbon Pro. I'm secure enough in my Correct Craft love to say I can't wait to see one and ski it. I'm hoping my well to do Mastercraft owning friend upgrades, since I haven't been able to talk him into a 200.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 11:39am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

I wonder what the difference in construction quality is between the new MC and SN?

I've heard that historically the CC edge was significant (with the exception of MC going to composite stringers first), can't imagine that would be the case anymore

MC construction quality has traditionally been outstanding. On par with, if not exceeding CC depending on the period of time we're talking about.

Also as a side note my family had one of those tri-hull 60's Evinrude boats back in the 80's. Brings me right back!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 11:42am
MC, like Malibu, is gluing their stringers down these days. Ive heard its a really good glue- but not quite the same as glassing the whole structure together like CC does. It also appears as though they use some sort of bilge pan, also similar to Malibu.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:04pm
The 197 I am in a lot is really beautiful but I've been surprised by the little things that seem to go wrong all the time. The upholstery has not held up well despite the fact it lives indoors on a trailer. This new PS is their first significant change in over 10 years so the line was a bit neglected. What is the quality/ reliability of their newer wakeboard boats?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:08pm
Well you sold me right there on Nautique Timmy.

There are reasons boats are cheaper than others. There has to be compromises for something to be cheaper. Not saying I agree with our baseline ski boat costing near the 70k mark but you get what you pay for. Glued stringers? cool. Mine are still glassed in after almost 30 years. I can't imagine that will be the case with glued in stringers. But maybe thats some good glue!!

Gary, I say go for the Aztec!! I hear they handle toung weight on ramps really well too
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:11pm
Dip, Every single MC we get in on trade newer than 05 or so needs significant interior work unless the boat was never used and sat inside covered.

Story was different on my dad's 92 prosport. It needed no interior attention until 2 small stitch repairs last season before we sold it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:19pm
You know I don't really mind the MC bashing but you guys have to go a little easier on my Aztek please. It's paid for and I'm driving into the ground.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

You know I don't really mind the MC bashing but you guys have to go a little easier on my Aztek please. It's paid for and I'm driving into the ground.

These two factors do not change what it is. Let the Aztek bashing continue.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:35pm
I hope they don't set the trend with that pickelfork on a ski boat.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:42pm
So you're the guy that bought it? ;)
I would love to have an early 80's Stars and Stripes. What I take is that MC has had an inconsistent build history which I guess goes with the corporate changes through the years. So the question is what you're getting now. Thank god for them though because they have pushed CC to make better boats. I remember really well how much of a game changer the 1987 Prostar 190 was. Whether the 1990 NWZ was already in the works or not I don't know but it seemed to occur because of the 190 at the time.
It also points out how consistent CC has been at least since the 70's, maybe the 60's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic