NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do ya'll think of the new MC Prostar

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do ya'll think of the new MC Prostar
    Posted: May-12-2014 at 12:33am
So I skied behind the ProStar for 3 days, and I got to drive it, though I didn't get to pull a skier.

I consider myself a beginner, but wow. Very flat/soft slalom wake. One of the coaches kept telling me to feel the second "bump" in the wake to time the glide before the turn; I didn't tell him how hard it was to feel it was even there, making it pretty useless in that regard.

With the 5.7, not as fast as I would like since I might like to use it for barefooters (it probably topped out at 40, but with just 20 hours on the boat, we were not being very aggressive), but it had a four blade prop, and the coach/driver/dealer who also helped develop the boat thought it would run faster with a 3 blade. Nice sound behind the boat, and down the lake, but whistling/mechanical sounding in the cockpit with almost no perceptible "rumble" sitting up front.

Lots of room around the dog house; the back seats were out making the boat seem huge. With carpet out and the bare floor, which is the way we used it all weekend, I felt like I was in a center console fishing boat. Very functional. There is a very nice wooden platform that folds up, and a step into the boat from the transom. When the back seats are in, the step remains open, so no one has to step on the seats. Nice helm layout, intuitive to drive. The one I drove had a lot of pre-load/tendency to steer to the right. After years with clunky mechanical shifter/throttles, it seemed too easy, just fingers on the throttle, but I could get used to that very quickly.

Despite the pickle fork bow, which I hated in pictures, it looks less aggressive on the water, even less than it did when I saw it at a boat show indoors. Over all, I thought it was a nice looking boat, sitting still, and moving in the water.

There are not too many choices that I am aware for well-built, direct drive, pure slalom/3 event boats. A lot of thought when into this one, and I think it shows. I am sorely tempted
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 7:03pm
When pulling slalom your line of sight is the driver side boat guides, so offset gauges (to the right) is better.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

- Windshield- its not much to look at, but boy is it functional. No problem reaching a ski in the water or talking to a skier. No problem running a straight boom.
That was the first thing I saw when I looked at it (not in person, mind you). Hideous. But the functional application makes a ton of sense.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 6:13pm
good write up.

What is the purpose of the gauges being off center? I would think that you'd want them straight ahead and in your line of sight?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 3:04pm
Skied and rode this boat a couple weeks ago. First set of the year so I skied it at -15 32mph and 34mph and -22 34mph in the course. The wake seemed comparable to all modern ski boats at those lines and speeds. So, 200, TXi, etc. modern wakes, way better than the previous 197 hull. -22 bump was definitely there but no worse than the competition.

My wife skied the boat at 26mph and loved the wakes. She said there is no wake at that speed and I've never seen her pull across the course so confidently.

I was very impressed with the interior space, functionality, and comfort. The boat had the pull-out sponge-like floor covering which went over the true hard decking. Snap-out carpet is another option available. I really liked the spongy material-- very good feeling on the feet and the water just runs right through it. Awesome material. This one had a tower on it which only ways 60lbs and can easily be pulled off with 1 person.

The boat exudes quality all over and I actually really liked how it looked on the water FWIW. Tons of interior space and those ski racks really work well. These guys upped the ante IMO.

Few pics below:

New 197 Skiing at The Boarding School, Orlando
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 5:06pm
Tim, glad MC went away from Indmar because in the future that nice skinny motor box would have been a big as the whole cockpit
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 4:03pm
Great write-up Tim. Thanks!!!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 3:54pm
I was just able to check out the new 2014 Prostar at the New England boat show this past weekend, and since Quinner wanted to know what my impressions were, I figured this was the best spot for them.

First of all, Im a die hard CC guy. So any and all praise for other brands is usually well deserved. Normally my love for other brands comes primarily from my experience at the end of the rope- lots of great ski boats out there. Ive always had a strong preference for the way CC set up their boats from a functionality standpoint though... the short nose, stubby windshield, driver's-elbow-on-the-gunnel layout was a trademark through the run of the 196 (ending in 2009). I always liked the way CC's drove and handled compared to the competition, which seemed to feature longer noses, low slung, swept back windshields and cockpits where you sat down low in the boat. CC's latest 200 has sort of moved in that direction, IMHO- longer nose (to accommodate the open bow), longer wrap around windshield, etc. Not having driven or skied one (all reports say its improved over the 196 in almost every way in terms of wake and tracking), I have not been the biggest fan of the boat's layout. I just have not taken a liking to the way the boat utilizes its larger size, as the open bow isnt necessary for us. I'd rather have the under bow storage, and the roomier cockpit rather than room up front. The side storage lockers are a neat idea, but they hog a lot of space that could otherwise be used for people sitting on the floor facing the rear. I do understand that CC has to make the boat appeal to a wider market than just hardcore purists who ski off the dock- so I get why they made the changes. What I find harder to understand are a few details that seem to have just been missed or overlooked in the boat's development. Things like:

- The wrap around windshield (concession to looks?) extends further back than ever before, preventing the driver from picking up a ski in the water, or communicating easily with a skier. It also prevents the use of a straight boom- the 200 requires a universal contour now.

- Side lockers... like I mentioned above, a neat idea, but they hog a lot of space, making it difficult to fit things or people between the motorbox and gunnel. Back seat is narrower too. A 95" wide boat shouldnt be this cramped.

- You cant open the motorbox all the way. The clamshell design only allows the upper portion to hinge open. To get the lower piece up requires full removal of the box. And that is not easily done like it was on the 196. Instead of pulling 2 pins on the rear hinges, there are at least 3 thumbscrews that need to come off so you can unclamp the thing. If you need to do any serious maintenance or reach down into the bilge, this would be a serious PITA. Even reaching the drain plug is difficult. I think this design was a concession to making the motorbox as narrow as possible, as the base tapers in a bit and probably will scrape the exhaust manifolds upon removal.

- Observer seat is too wide... they pushed it to within an inch or 2 of the driver's seat. Great for fitting the max number of people up front, but it makes getting into the driver's seat much harder- you need to step over or on top of the observer seat cushion. The 196 and the SN's that preceded it always got this detail right, not sure how they managed to goof this up.

- The thing is slow... I know its pretty much inevitable when making a larger, heavier boat with more wetted surface and a smaller wake, but its a bummer for guys who like or need speed... like barefooters. If you want to go faster than 43 (so maybe 41 with a footer in tow), you gotta spring for the 6.0L.

OK... sorry for the long winded intro. The new Prostar. As far as looks go, the mini picklefork front is not very attractive to my eyes. Neither is the new windshield. Jury is still out on how the boat skis, but with the 4 year lag behind CC in releasing this new boat, one would hope its up to par with the 200 (early reports indicate that is the case). Performance is also TBD, but based on what Ive heard from dealers and the like (reliability unknown), theyre saying the boat is several hundred lbs lighter than the outgoing 197 (which performed similarly to the 200 in terms of top end speed) and quite a bit faster. One dealer said 5mph faster- that the 350 powered boat would be good for 48mph. No idea if thats true or not, but its impressive if it is. The optional powerplant is a 6.2L Ilmore, which is probably putting out ~425hp. So Im guessing it wont be any slower.

My initial impression in crawling all over the thing at the boat show is that it's really well done. MC seems to have fixed all the things I never liked about non-CC's in terms of their layout, and it even nails a bunch of the details that bug me about the 200. First of all, its overall size matches that of the 200 (20' long, 95" beam). Putting the dash off to the side is another clue that the 200 was used as its benchmark.

- The boat seems really wide... mostly because it is. The motorbox is as narrow as possible, and so are the gunnels. It seems like they pushed the dash forward a bit. Theres space to walk between the driver's seat and box.

- Instead of side lockers, MC is putting in folding ski racks if you want them. When not in use, they take up almost no room. Step on the bottom foot piece and they open up, and you can fit several skis on each side. Really slick.

- Cockpit... There is a useful storage area in the dash just ahead of the steering wheel. The gauges are off to the side. Accessories and ZO are in the touchscreen, and the menus are laid out really well. Even for a non-ZO expert, you can access and change settings very easily- very intuitive.

- Windshield- its not much to look at, but boy is it functional. No problem reaching a ski in the water or talking to a skier. No problem running a straight boom. The bimini is incorporated in the frame- no extra mounts in the gelcoat, straps, etc... very clean.

- Bow... unlike CC, MC doesnt have 2 deck molds, there is no true "closed bow". But, you can get a hard molded insert that installs easily over the front seats, effectively making it a CB. Its a little cumbersome due to its size, but install and removal is pretty easy. Strong enough to walk on when installed. Storage up under the bow doesnt look too bad... not quite up to true CB levels, but close. I'd rather have a true CB, personally- but I wouldnt be surprised to see this idea repeated by other manufacturers, rather than offer 2 different decks.

- Seating. The driver's seat didnt have a lot of side bolstering, but it had some... it didnt take up a lot of space and it reclines- not a bad idea. The portion of the observer seat that flips down to allow bow access does so very nicely- notches into place and makes for a very solid step. CC's just folds forward and presses the back and bottom cushions together (kind of clunky).

Like I said, Im anything but an MC fanboy, but the Prostar really impressed me. If as much thought went into the skiing and driving performance as it did the interior and layout, theyve got one heck of a boat. Hopefully some competition is a good thing and CC pushes the envelope even further!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 8:25am
My prep school was $1,000 a year in 1970's. My daughter starts today at that same school for $13,500 this year. Same school, with yes more technology and better food but everything jumps disproporrtunately over the years,

In the 70's a SN or MC were in the $7000-8000 range now $70,000 - 80,000

That's why most of us are loyal to only one brand...... USED!

As for GM discounting the Corvette in the 80's... Chevrolet had their look before you import campaign and I fanagled an extra $1,500 off the price of a new Corvette.

As for the new MC I like it but I'm saving for a used Andy Mapple edition SN. Hopefully there will still be one around when the price comes down to what I can afford!
yangyangabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yangyangabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 4:46am
You know, to make certain all customer can email us anytime, were providing the best online service 24/7 here. So anytime, any place, should you have any risk or question or if you wish any Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold, you possibly can come and buying Guild Wars 2 Gold from and have it soon since you paid. Many thanks coming http://www.sellgw2.com/
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 5:46pm

My point was that cc's are expensive- just like they always have been.

Or to rationalize as Eddie would say, not inexpensive :)

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 12:38pm
Did anyone else notice his head in relation to the windshield at the 10:30 mark or so. A few small waves and a bottle of Advil later. Looks pretty close from that shot. Would like to see it in person to verify.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 8:30am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

[QUOTE=SNobsessed]

But, they are not the same. In the case of boats, they are bigger, have more extensive upholsterey, have electronic gadgets that did not exist in 1980, have fuel injection and other elements to the motors, etc. etc. That's not to mention different resins, patterns in the gel coat, composite stringers, and other features that don't necessarily stand out to the eye. So a 15K boat in 1980 would be expected to cost 45K today, before we every changed a thing. Not surprising at all that a ski boat costs 60 or 70K. Expensive, but not surprising.

BKH

All true- and you can say all the same things about cars- bigger, more luxurious, more powerful. Consumer expectations have escalated as well!

My point was that cc's are expensive- just like they always have been.
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 1:59am

Comparatively speaking, perhaps that 1991 SN was bargain priced! The 1991 Corvette MSRP was $33k. I bet that the pricing in '80 tracks closer to 1:1.

Tim:
    You are spot-on: my 1980 [with trailer] was $13,200. The 1990 [purchased when '91's were just out] was $18,000. The '98 jumped up to $35,000...and there we stay! Of course that was an Air/Sport and not a Ski.
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 1:00am
Well, it goes the other way as well Eddie. I don't make much more, if any more than I did 15 years ago. At the same time, milk cost double, gas is two to 3X, my insurance is double, on and on. Not to mention, I now pay for a wife and kid. So, not too hard to rationalize down either.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 12:27am
Brian,
I love the way that you rationalize everything
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Whether car or boat, it's unfair to compare prices from days gone by. The technology is much more sophisticated in today's products.    Also, there are more government regulations, but let's not go there.

The good news is that you can have a ski boat of any vintage in like new condition, with the help of CCF!

A very good point.
The inflation rate from 1980 to today is 2.99 meaning that even if they build the exact same cars or boats today as they did in 1980, you could expect them to cost 3 times as much.

But, they are not the same. In the case of boats, they are bigger, have more extensive upholsterey, have electronic gadgets that did not exist in 1980, have fuel injection and other elements to the motors, etc. etc. That's not to mention different resins, patterns in the gel coat, composite stringers, and other features that don't necessarily stand out to the eye. So a 15K boat in 1980 would be expected to cost 45K today, before we every changed a thing. Not surprising at all that a ski boat costs 60 or 70K. Expensive, but not surprising.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 11:31pm
Whether car or boat, it's unfair to compare prices from days gone by. The technology is much more sophisticated in today's products.    Also, there are more government regulations, but let's not go there.

The good news is that you can have a ski boat of any vintage in like new condition, with the help of CCF!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Tim, way too many variables to make that comparison. Amongst others, Chevrolet made 40K Corvettes in 1980. In 2013, a 60th anniversary year, they will make about 14K Corvettes.

BKH

I dont think its a bad comparison, Brian... sure, there are a lot of variables, but we're talking high end luxury toys. Chevy didnt discount the '80 Vette just because they had a great sales year, did they? I'm sure it was still the high end of their lineup. Pricing has steadily increased over the last 50 years, as has the SN. I think it would be neat to plot the MSRP trend lines- maybe include median household income over the same period- my guess is that there would be a pretty strong correlation.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 2:19pm
My 2000 was 37,500 in 5/2000 with trailer FWIW.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 2:10pm
From the pricing sheet in 1999 for a closed bow no trailer, single axle trailer add 2,300
22,190 351 260hp
23,065 351 290hp
26,250 GT-40
26,806 Apex
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 2:07pm
Tim, way too many variables to make that comparison. Amongst others, Chevrolet made 40K Corvettes in 1980. In 2013, a 60th anniversary year, they will make about 14K Corvettes.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 1:42pm
Comparatively speaking, perhaps that 1991 SN was bargain priced! The 1991 Corvette MSRP was $33k. I bet that the pricing in '80 tracks closer to 1:1.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 1:21pm
Tim, I know in 1991 when I graduated college my girlfriend and I boat a Nautique together. We considered a new 91 at the time. I think it was 21,000 +/-. We ended up buying an 89 with 39 hours on it instead. Granted I have a mortgage, two kids and a stay at home wife but I was much closer to buying a new one then than I am now. So the price has more than tripled in 22 years.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

70k for a closed bow tug is pretty insane.

CQ, how much did a Ski Nautique list for in 1980? Has it outpaced the cost of cars, etc by a wide margin?

1980 Ski Nautique base price = ??
1980 Corvette base price = $13,140

2013 Ski Nautique 200 CB base price = $65,590
2013 Corvette base price = $50,595
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 1:05pm
You know, I read the MC thread that Tim posted, all 13 pages, and I've never spent any time on that forum, but one thing stood out to me...there were several, I'd say 15 or more references to CC products, specifically the 200, and none of them were derrogatory. With the exception of this thread, I very rarely see MC references on here.

And if...IF this boat competes with the 200, good for them (not sarcastic at all), but I'd like to see them make a run at the 200V. There were several places in the MC thread were people were like, oh you want a crossover boat, 200V. End of conversation. haha

My favorite part of the thread was the guy who asked repeatedly how the surf wake was...3 or 4 times until somebody finally was like, seriously, if you would consider surfing this boat then you're an idiot. And another guy said there was something in the retail agreement that if MC ever found out you bought this boat to surf it they could take it from you! hahahaha
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:54pm
Wondering how much R&D money any of the manufacturers are going to put towards the tournament inboard moving forward. Guessing they are a small percentage of total production, if the money is dolled out proportionally don't hold your breath for any more new hulls anytime too soon. That also could be a factor in driving the cost thru the roof, 70k for a closed bow tug is pretty insane.

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:42pm
So you're the guy that bought it? ;)
I would love to have an early 80's Stars and Stripes. What I take is that MC has had an inconsistent build history which I guess goes with the corporate changes through the years. So the question is what you're getting now. Thank god for them though because they have pushed CC to make better boats. I remember really well how much of a game changer the 1987 Prostar 190 was. Whether the 1990 NWZ was already in the works or not I don't know but it seemed to occur because of the 190 at the time.
It also points out how consistent CC has been at least since the 70's, maybe the 60's.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:35pm
I hope they don't set the trend with that pickelfork on a ski boat.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

You know I don't really mind the MC bashing but you guys have to go a little easier on my Aztek please. It's paid for and I'm driving into the ground.

These two factors do not change what it is. Let the Aztek bashing continue.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic