NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adjusting Electric Carb Choke

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting Electric Carb Choke
    Posted: August-15-2013 at 11:21am
Hello everyone, I am trying to adjust my electric carb choke on my 84 2001 351 engine. I had slight hesitation at take off so my local marina advised me that I needed a new electric carb choke. So, they installed one and then I noticed it had a hard cold start. So, I began familiarizing myself with the Holly carb and watched every video that is offered on their website.

Prior to adjusting the choke plate, it was at a 45 degree and the notch on the electric carb choke was clockwised from the center notch on the housing which could explains why it was at a 45 degree at open position.

What I did, I counterclockwised the electric carb choke from its current position and alligned it at center on housing. Then I adjusted the electric carb choke counterclockwised 3 notches from the center. The choke plate is now cracked open. It starts and idels great. Of course I made all adjustments while the engine was cold.

Now for my question, when the engine warms up, the choke plate should open vertically, mine remains in the same position. Do I need to allow the engine to reach normal engine temp? Or did I set the electric carb choke incorrectly?

Thanks
Kostas
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 11:35am
The electric choke doesn’t actually know how warm the engine is, it just opens due the expansion of the spring as it heats due to the current running through it (or that should be running through it) while the ignition is in the on position.   So, when cold it should keep the choke closed (or close to it), then leave the key on (for a few minutes) and it should open it right up. If you have it set so that it is really tightly closed when cold it likely won’t open all the way up when hot. Which will cause your engine to run rich.   
In your case I am wondering if you are actually getting 12volts to the choke when the ignition is on, perhaps what the marina diagnosed as a bad choke was really a wiring issue and now you have another non working choke because of the same wiring issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 12:13pm
I'm thinking what Joe is thinking. Use a test light with the ground and power on the wires that run to the choke. Turn the key on and see if the light turns on. Next step would be to check voltage while the engine is running with a multi meter.

If no power at all bang there is your problem. If you have power and correct voltage than there is something wrong with the spring or the way it was installed. I have seen the choke rod missing the lower pin which causes it to ride on top of the choke arm and not close fully causing the adjustment process to be way off.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:22am
Thanks guys, I did a voltage test tonight and it was reading around 11.85. So I decided to remove the choke and reinstall and adjust the choke. The choke opens up when I turn the ignition and starts right up cold with good idle. I let the engine warm up but the choke plate remains in the same position. As I throttled, the choke plate did move this time around. Next step, take it to the lake and see how she does
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 1:32am
I'm not sure if Ive got all the details straight (We've been doing some homemade frozen mudslide experimentation) but, if your choke plate is getting pretty vertical post warmup, and you still have a stumble, make sure your accelerator pump linkage has been adjusted to take out any free play.

Just to keep in mind: Many carbs will mechanically force open the choke plate under full throttle. This is a flood clearing default, but neither confirms nor denies a properly operating electric choke.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 12:18pm
Does the choke move at all? Holley says not to adjust the choke puck out of the marking specs on the choke housing. This could cause damage. I feel it bends the spring which makes it unable to attain full range of motion from the heat.

The engine will pull the choke further open if you rap the throttle hard. It will also mechanically open it partially like Brian said above.

If it's half closed it probably wont like to start hot without opening the throttle up.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 11:06am
Hey Zack, the choke plates moves to the open position when I start the engine at cold start. When I throttle, the choke plate now opens. The issue, choke plate does not open up automatically when the engine warms up. Now, I was doing this all on the trailer, will try the lake today. So far, I took the carb choke off and reinstalled it. The knotch is 1 counterclockwise from center. Will see how it goes. Thanks for your help.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 11:16am
So the plate stays closed until you rev the engine?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 11:31am
Correct Zack. I have the choke plate set at a little wider than a pencil width opening. Will try to take some pics. Thanks for your help! Hate to take it to the lake and have to deal with it there.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 11:36am
Like I said before. If the red choke arm is not on top of the choke rod the thing probably won't open the plate. Pictures of how it is currently set up would be extremely helpful.

If you remove the choke puck/spring the choke plate should default open completely.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 2:20pm
Here you go,

Before Starting Cold;

While running on idle;

Choke settings;

When I rotate the choke, it opens up the choke plate, which I believe its installed correct? Also, its not pass the recommending settings. When I throttle, the choke plate opens up now, before it did not do that. When I was having problems starting it while cold, the choke plate was wide open from the marina settings, instead of closed which could explain that problem. I took it to them for slight hesitating, so maybe they just increase the plate for some reason? Sorry for repeating myself, just want to be able to provide enough info. I do appreciate it. Heading to the lake in about an hour If things go well, my 2 and 4 year old will be up on training ski!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2013 at 12:39pm
Zack, does your carb guy makes marina visits The past couple of times the boat starts right up from cold start, idles great and runs like a champion until you shut her down Try to fire her up after she's been warm and will not start. I pull the arrestor off and have to push down the choke plate and then she will start. I am getting around 10.85V at the connections. Also, the choke plate is not automatically opening up when warming up.

Possible solutions
1) adjust clockwise to open up the choke plate? Can't go to far since it will idle rough.
2) need to get a full 12V connection
3) add a new ground
4) defective coil in the choke that does not allow to open up when warm
5) I installed the electric choke incorrectly

Has to be something simple. Appreciate everyone's comments.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2013 at 3:51pm
It's not uncommon for the bi-metal spring in the choke to lose it's range of motion over time. I would replace it. Pretty easy to do.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2013 at 3:53pm
It's brand new, was replaced at the marina
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2013 at 9:05pm
If it's not opening up completely, either it's not adjusted correctly or the new is faulty. It should be wide open after about a minute of running. When completely cold it should have about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in it. Yours is shut tight. It may just need adjustment if it isn't opening completely.
It should be adjusted when cold and before the key is ever turned on. If the key has been turned on it will start to open right away and you'll have to wait until it completely closes again.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2013 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

When completely cold it should have about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in it.

You might of cleared things up for me I thought the choke plate was suppose to be slammed shut before cold start and then the choke plate should open 1/8" gap when i turn the engine over and then see the choke plate increase when the coil is warmed up.

To summarize, the choke plate needs to be set at about 1/8" gap before cold start and then I should see the choke plate increase when the coil gets warm?

Looks like I have some adjustments to do!

Thanks for your input!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 12:00am
Also the manual states that you need a full 12V or the choke will not open fully.

"Care must be taken to properly connect to the basic 12V supply and not the ignition or coil which have reduced voltage during operating conditions. A low voltage condition will not open the choke fully. The ignition firing efficency would addionally be impaired if choke voltage were taken here."

You can refer to the 302/351 manual in the reference section, under section 3 for all the adjustments.
After adjusting as mentioned above. I would check to see where the voltage is coming from. If it "IS" coming from the "basic 12V system" and you're still under 12V try running a jumper wire from the in side of the ballist resister to the choke and check voltage again. You may have some corrosion in your harness along the way causing the voltage drop.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

When completely cold it should have about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in it.

To summarize, the choke plate needs to be set at about 1/8" gap before cold start and then I should see the choke plate increase when the coil gets warm?

This is correct. Simple adjustment should make a difference.

Like Paul(Gun-Driver) suggests, see if the purple wire to the choke is coming from the ballast resister. Check the voltage on the other side of the resister and if that is 12V, move the choke power to that side of the resister. It's not uncommon for the choke power to come from here.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 9:41am
Do appreciate your guys feedback, will take a look tonight.

Paul, still working on the slaloming!

Thanks again!
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 11:47am
This kind of post is why I look at this site every day. There are so many things I have learned that have allowed me to confidently take on projects much more involved than I would have ever thought possible.

I have not understood the subtleties of the electric choke control until now, and suggests solutions to a similar problem I have been having with my 78 Tique.

89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

This kind of post is why I look at this site every day.

If you think the site is good, wait untile you go to one of the reunions! I had carb issues at the last reunion and I literally had an army full of knowledge assisting me. Learned so much about my boat that weekend.   
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 3:16pm
Oh fyi, check the voltage to the choke when the boat is running. You won't see 12v with the key on and the coil pulling the system down.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Oh fyi, check the voltage to the choke when the boat is running. You won't see 12v with the key on and the coil pulling the system down.

Thanks! That's how I was checking it. Will check the voltage tonight while the engine is running.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

?, Want to explain that a little?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 4:21pm
the battery system voltage with the boat running will be in the neighborhood of 14.4 volts.   the extra couple of volts in the system during running (alternator is working) will offset the items that are running in the accessory position of the key.   this will give you a constant real world voltage measurement.   battery voltage can vary due to the resistance in the wire at the point measured. (far away, old wire, small wire etc can have a big effect)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 5:16pm
It's worded so it sounds like there will be a drop in voltage, something other than the 12.5 from the batery or 14 from the alternator.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 7:10pm
Correct, I would guess that there would be some resistance in the old wires to the choke, maybe enough to drop 1-2 volts depending on their age and internal corrosion level. if your battery voltage is 12.5, that is a really strong battery. most are right around 12.2 when fully charged. if you are ensuring 12v at the choke, you would need to bump up the system voltage to ensure that you are overcoming the resistance in the wire.   Even new wire will have a voltage drop over distance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2013 at 10:05pm
Lots of large new wires and batteries that see a charger often.   

The thing I noticed since Zach hasn't replied is the purple wire to the choke from the resistor. That wire is wrong and should be on the resisted end so you shouldn't get the full 12 volts out of it. If your choke hot come of of the resistor it should be on the red side so the 12 volts just continues on past from the battery. There should be a black that connects the start relay to the same post as the purple wire, that in theory sends 12 volts to the coil when the starter is on, but the starter draws enough that not all 12 get there. It's just ensures the coil sees enough voltage to fire.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 11:21am
Update:

After adjusting multiple times and checking voltages (12.85 when running) the problem was the new electric choke. I spoke with the marina that installed it and they had confirmed it was the choke. It's under warranty and the marina ordered a new one. But to keep me going this weekend, they installed an old one they had laying around.

Thanks for everyone's input
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 3:45pm

If it's not opening up completely, either it's not adjusted correctly or the new is faulty. It should be wide open after about a minute of running. When completely cold it should have about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in it. Yours is shut tight. It may just need adjustment if it isn't opening completely.
It should be adjusted when cold and before the key is ever turned on. If the key has been turned on it will start to open right away and you'll have to wait until it completely closes again.

I have a question regarding the 1/16" to 1/8" gap at cold start because I'm not able to obtain that at the moment on my 4010. I purchased a new choke cap as well thinking that maybe the bi-metal spring was tired. If I line up the mark on the choke cap with the last adjustment mark on the carb (the choke cap is rotated all the way clockwise/lean when looking straight at it), the choke plate is still lightly seated. I would have to continue rotating the choke cap clockwise and out of the "range" on the carb in order to hold the choke plate open 1/16" or so. What am I missing here?
1992 Nautique Excel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic