NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 ski tique trailer loading problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 ski tique trailer loading problems
    Posted: August-19-2013 at 12:51pm
The trailer I'm told is stock to the boat. The sides of the hull have scratches from the previous owner and then I added some. I then added carpet over wood to the top two inches of the inner fenders. It still friggin scratched the hull last time. Really upset about this. Is this a drive on or float on trailer and what can I do to prevent this?

Pics are here http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30700&PID=404988#404988
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:04pm
So the boat is getting scraped by the fenders? A better picture of the inside of the fenders would be helpful.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:08pm
I had a ton of trouble loading my 78 Tique on that trailer on shallow ramps. Also, if the ramps weren't level (side to side) it was a nightmare! So, people are gonna tell you you just don't know how to load an inboard.... but it is REALLY hard with that small, flat-bottomed boat on that small A frame trailer.

It is a drive on trailer...I had better success with less of the trailer in the water. If the back floats when connected, you have little hope to keep it straight. Let the A frame bunks guide the nose and hopefully the stern should follow upon loading.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:13pm
Try only putting the trailer in and leaving the tops of the fenders out. That's one of the problems of having a painted boat,you have to be extra careful.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:32pm
I have the same problem with my 79. It is the weight distribution so I get it on the trailer and stand on the fender and it goes on right. I know it is not the right way but the only way I have found
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 1:47pm
If you are suggesting driving the boat on the trailer while being outside of the boat, that sounds like a bad idea. I agree that the boat needs to be level to make sure both chines end up on top of the bunks (trailer needs to be level as well) but driving from the middle of the boat where you can still safely reach the throttle and steering wheel is a much safer option.

Of course, that doesnt help the original poster if he is simply experiencing scratches from the fenders. Having the trailer at the proper depth (tops of the fenders just above the water) and an appropriate material on the inner edges (carpeted wood, etc) should help this scenario.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 2:42pm
Nice boat.. Yeas you don't want to scratch that Black paint !! I had the same issue loading my 77' Tique at first. Then one of the guys here told me to do the same as being suggested (only back the trailer in where you can see the very shadow of the fender under water). Problem solved..

I see in your pics that the guide ons could also probably get bent inward a little to better your chances at a ceter catch, but if you practice what was said above, the boat really will center itself and stay inside the fenders..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 2:47pm
Middle did not help it kicks it to one side. I get it to about 6 inches from the bow stop and get on the fender and give it a little gas and turn it off and put a chain on the front. What happens it is not the fenders but it is the bunks that puts more than scratches in the boat. I know it not the safe way but the only way I have found including trying to stand in the middle.
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 2:49pm
I'll get better pics. I only carpeted a 2" piece of wood on the inner fenders because i was worried if the tires upon bouncing on the springs moved up they would hit the inside of the wood. once i get pics maybe someone can suggest a better approach. I was trying to float it on as the previous owner stated he did with the front bunks just out of the water. I'll try the fenders out of the water approach.

Paints fubarred from this problem on the sides of the hull but I want to figure it out before getting it repaired.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 3:01pm
One thing that the PO (Waterdog) of my old Tique did on the trailer was to add a 5-8 inch piece of wood as a guide AT THE BASE OF THE GUIDE POLE. It is only about 2 inches wide but 5-8 inches tall. They helped to center the stern chine a lot. I'll look for pics........
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 8:50pm
I have to say I have never had a problem with my 77 Tique on shallow or deep ramps. I stick the trailer in the water so the tops of the fenders are showing (I have a LB so I have extra tall fenders) and drive the boat on while the trailer is being pulled out by the tow vehicle. I have added keel rollers on my trailers (discussed in other threads). This brings the bow of the boat up to better match the angle of the trailer in the ramp.

BTW,
I'm not even a "pro" at loading the Tique since it is wintered in the boat house and rarely sees it's trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

So the boat is getting scraped by the fenders? A better picture of the inside of the fenders would be helpful.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Took a while but here's the pics. I'm not sure where it was hitting on.
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 9:37am
My 79 it is not the fenders but the bunks as you pull in the weight distribution take the side below the bunks
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2013 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Try only putting the trailer in and leaving the tops of the fenders out. That's one of the problems of having a painted boat,you have to be extra careful.

That didn't work out well. The trailer needs to be way in the water making sure the rear of the bunks are well under the bow of the boat. Since it's a A frame trailer which means the back of the bunks are wider toward the rear and the front of the boat is narrower than the rear of the bunks, the front of the boats sides get wedged in between the rear of the bunks scrathing sides. I just need to put the dang trailer WAY BACK in the water, and float it on till the nose of the boat hits the nose pads on the front of the trailer. Essentailly the hitch was in the water to get the rear of the bunks from hitting the sides of the boat.
natscott1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natscott1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 11:58am
That seems to make sense to me Gump , I see some "scratches" on the sides of my hull from previous owners. I go deep :) and pull mine on with a rope due to the ramp we use. I like the idea of the drive on method the best. New SKI-N owner so still trying to figure things out.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 4:06pm
I've found two ways that works every time for the 16's.

Either approach at an angle so the starboard chine is atop the bunk first.
Or stand or kneel in the center of the boat to keep it level.

Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 7:36pm
Those ways don't work with this trailer and boat. Been doing it a while now. Only way to prevent damage is to put the trailer in deep and float on. The guide pole things are about a 10 inches out of the water. Float on till the bow hits the bow pads on the trailer. The bottom of the boat and trailer don't touch each other till I pull it out.

Granted half of the Subaru Outback is in the water but the rear doors don't leak.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 7:49pm
Eric,
Many including myself have had excellent results with mounting winches on their trailers. They are especially useful on ramps that are real steep. With a steep ramp, the bow of the boat will hit the bow stop but then when pulled out, the aft end of the boat will sit down on the trailer causing the bow to be aft of the trailer bow stop. With a winch mounted higher that the bow eye, it will pull the forward end of the hull up and then the bottom will be more in line with the trailer bunks.

I agree with the comments that only the tops of the trailer fenders should be out of the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 8:05pm
Thanks. I had the sides repaired so I don't chance it anymore and just sink the trailer deep. Luckily I have a decent ramp I go to. I leave the bow chain loose then hit the brakes or a friend and I can shove the boat forward and then snug it all up.

I think part of my reasoning to need to go so deep is due to the low height of the trailer hitch on the Subaru.

It's been a fun boat. Took a while to get the hang of not being able to steer in reverse.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Gump Gump wrote:

I leave the bow chain loose then hit the brakes or a friend and I can shove the boat forward and then snug it all up.

Many have done the "hit the brake" trick including myself before the trailer additions. It's certainly not the safest thing to do. Yup, a winch sure does the job plus, I've also added keel rollers to two of my trailers. They aid in bringing the bow up as well. With the hull on the keel roller and the winch pulling, the hull centers itself on the wishbone bunks.
Originally posted by Gump Gump wrote:

Took a while to get the hang of not being able to steer in reverse.

Oh but they do steer in reverse but, more towards port due to prop walk when in gear. Towards starboard, give it some gas, then take it out of gear and it will steer. I'm glad you got used to it. Yes, they are fun boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gump View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 9:06pm
Thank you. I'll have to play with reverse more. It sure doesn't do much though.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 2:12am
I second what Peter said above.
My dad welded me a nice winch platform. Its a little bit above the bow eye, and after a bit of trial and error, I made a small black mark on the gel that when lined up with the top of the bow v-pad I have, the boat is snug once the stern drops down as it pulls out. It centers fairly well and is easy enough to nudge over while the bunks are wet.
I have that same trailer, and so far I have always used this float on method for my 78 SN.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 2:16am
You can see the winch and bow pad in the foreground.....

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

One thing that the PO (Waterdog) of my old Tique did on the trailer was to add a 5-8 inch piece of wood as a guide AT THE BASE OF THE GUIDE POLE. It is only about 2 inches wide but 5-8 inches tall. They helped to center the stern chine a lot. I'll look for pics........

Steve,

Huh? That was before me. Tops if the fenders out of the water. I've only loaded the Tique under power a couple of times. Always just walked it up, the bad thing is my trunks were wet when I hopped in the truck.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 10:12am
Interesting Andy - I thought you made the addition .....

The side "bunks" at the bottom of the guide poles helped when the ramp was slanted side to side...... under power or walking it up.

I'll look for pics.......... Maybe Wayne has some.

Steve
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 10:32am
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

You can see the winch and bow pad in the foreground.....

hard to tell for sure with that picture but the fenders appear to under water and by the looks of what little guide pole is sticking out of the water that trailer is way too deep for loading a boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2014 at 3:01am
Lol, true. I was wondering if I was gonna catch it for that.
That there is my maiden launch. Never even seen the boat float till this pic.
I don't back it in that far now, however I do have it in enough that it floats right up to the centre support at the front of the bunks. That way there is less pressure on the winch to pull it up to my mark.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

Lol, true. I was wondering if I was gonna catch it for that.
That there is my maiden launch. Never even seen the boat float till this pic.

Well the boat looks absolutely beautiful.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Well the boat looks absolutely beautiful.

+1
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2014 at 10:03am
Also the background bluffs. Very nice lake!

The ramp looks like a shallow grade. Part of the problem?

Do you have same issue at a steeper ramp?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic