NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Intake needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Intake needed
    Posted: March-03-2006 at 6:08am
I am in need of a new intake for my 79 351. I think I would have clearance issues with ski dims high performance. Does anyone know if this intake is the same aa a car or truck from 1979? Does anyone have an original one from there boat to sell?
Aaron

AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 6:19am
I have the Edelbrock Performer intake on my '79. It's the same one that SkiDIM sells but you can buy it at Summitt Racing for quite a bit less.

It is taller than the stock manifold. My original flame arrestor was over 3" tall and I couldn't get the motor cover to close. I had to switch to an arrestor that's 1.5-2" Tall.

I still have the original manifold but I'm going to hang on to it for awhile.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 7:23am
If you get the air-gap then you'll have some issues but I didn't have a problem using it with teh arrest skidim sells, pretty sure it's not 3" tall but a 2" seems right. They also have some knock-off edlbrock mainfolds on e-bay that are polished at a good price and they have an extra cross over for the water passage.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 7:46am
Originally posted by 79skinautique 79skinautique wrote:

Does anyone know if this intake is the same aa a car or truck from 1979?

I am pretty sure the answer is yes. However, if it was me, I would switch to the lighter weight higher performance aluminum manifolds. Especially if you have to change it out anyway. If you want to go back cast iron, I would think that the manifolds are readily available at salvage yards for $30 or less.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 8:15am
Most truck manifolds would have an egr port you need to block off.
I agree, and Weiland Stealth appears not quite as high as the Performer. Also modern marine carbs have the PVC port right on the carb so you can omit the carb spacer with the Performer. Don't run PVC to an intake runner because it will make 1-2 cyllinders go lean, making idle adjustments a compromise at best, and can make these cyllinders run too hot.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Most truck manifolds would have an egr port you need to block off.
I agree, and Weiland Stealth appears not quite as high as the Performer. Also modern marine carbs have the PVC port right on the carb so you can omit the carb spacer with the Performer. Don't run PVC to an intake runner because it will make 1-2 cyllinders go lean, making idle adjustments a compromise at best, and can make these cyllinders run too hot.

Do you mean PCV?
PVC is a plastic (poly vynil chloride or something) and PCV is something like pressure crank case valve? right?
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
NECC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NECC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 3:38pm
Be careful of the aftermarket aluminum intakes as most if not all are not designed for Raw water cooling marine applications. Most are designed for closed cooling car type applications and carode quickly over time in the cooling passages. In addition dissimilar metals from aluminum intake and Cast iron heads tend to have gasket problems in marine applications.

Also some of the intakes are designed for high end power and when in a marine application your low end power is what you really want.

79skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 6:53pm
I was able to find an original intake that is in great condition from a member of this site. Thanks for the help.
Aaron

abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2006 at 9:15am
I just put on a performer intake on my 78SN 351W. The flange gasket to the thermostat housing leaked at start up. I replaced it with RTV the tol. is real close at the 7:00 o-clock position. Anybody else notice this? Any of you guys running the Edlbrock Performer intake? How do you like it????
ABE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic