Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 2001 sn

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fox lake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 2001 sn
    Posted: March-03-2006 at 11:41am
I have a 1983 nautique with a factory original Chrysler 440. How common is this motor for this boat??? Do any of you have any experience with this engine. The boat has 650 hrs.   Thanks for a reply
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 12:18pm
I have never heard of this motor in this boat. I would say pretty rare.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 12:33pm

Is it a 2001 or a Barefoot Nautique? I don't recall seeing too many Chrysler engines of any size much after the 70's. It's not unheard of but i would think it's not very common.

This is probably a good question for Woody

Is that Fox Lake, Illinois?
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 12:44pm
I know a few 2001's got 454's but never heard of the use of a Chrystler motor in the 80's.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
fox lake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 1:21pm
It is a ski nautique 2001 not a barefoot nautique. I purchased the boat from a older fellow last summer in detroit, and hauled it back to Minnesota. I am in the finishing stages of a complete rehab. The boat performs fantastic!!! It will pull hard and run out 53 mph. I am excited for a great summer on the lake. (fox lake becker county minnesota)
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 2:22pm
Wow that is fast. My 82 has the basic 351 and you have me beat by over 10mph. Are you sure that it is the original motor?
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
fox lake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 2:53pm
Yes it is the original powerplant. It sounds like a harley on the h2o when you hit the stick. Drinks fuel like a 747.   he .. he. he. Its a lot of fun.   
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 2:56pm
What does the Chrysler 440 put out for HP? Sounds like a big engine. I've never heard of it. Sounds good though. Enjoy.

Even the 454 in the Nautique only tops out around 45-47 MPH, correct? 53 is fast.
fox lake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 3:03pm
It says 330hp on the valve covers. Its a big block like the 454. I have checked the speed on a gps several times, honest 53 mph.
NECC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NECC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 4:39pm
During my 4 year tenure of setting engines 6-9 engines a day for CCI in the early thru mid 80's. I do remember that CCI did build I think 5-6 boats for the executives at Chrysler Corp. Some Martiniques and BFN's and some SN's

We built the boats and they supplied their own engines. CCI did not offer the Chrysler engine as an option because of the enormous size and weight difference over the Ford and Chevy motors.I do remember setting some 440's in some of these boats. The engines were so wide that the standard 454 mtr box would not fit over the Chrysler so the boxes were cut down the middle and glassed back together to go over the wide engine. Very rare boats indeed
Post some pics if you can..It would be interesting to see them.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 4:50pm
I see you just joined today but have you seen the Green lake reunion thread. We'd like to see a little Mopar Madness at the reunion. Check it out and e-mail me if you have any questions.
Mapquest to Green Lake, Wi
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 9:36pm
I saw that boat in person when it was listed on Ebay last summer.Very nice boat.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 9:48pm
Chris,
Ya gotta bring the 83 to Green Lake this summer...!!!! Promises to be a Great Time!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
fox lake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fox lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:14am
YES!! The motor box is huge. I have a friend with a 88 2001 that has a factory 454. The motor box in this boat is not as wide as the one in my boat. I will post pics in april when the snow melts and I can pull the Nautique out of the garage Thanks for all the helpful information
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic