Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 Ski Nautique Floor Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
coachbrian76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachbrian76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Ski Nautique Floor Problem
    Posted: March-03-2006 at 5:52pm
I have a 1975 Ski Nautique that I restored last winter. I replaced everything but the floor. The floor began showing some soft spots late last summer. As I began cutting up the floor in small pieces (hoping the damage was isolated), we began finding that not only was all of the small stringers completely rotten, but all of the foam lining the boat was completely soaked. Anyway, now I am looking for suggestions on replacing the floor. Should I use marine plywood, or use the type of wood that was originally used (don't know what kind it is)?
Brian
barefoot86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefoot86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2006 at 8:26pm
First time poster, but have been watching the forum. Just bought an 86 bfn. Do you need to replace the foam? if so, what do you use? What type of wood do you use?   What I tore out seems like 1/2 inch plywood and also cedar solid pieces. Looking at replacing with MDO. Any suggestions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachbrian76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 5:50am
I have been told I do not need to replace the foam. If you do want to replace it, be sure to use CLOSED CELL FOAM. That should prohibit the water from seeping back in. As for the wood, I'm not sure what I am going to use yet. I am probably going to redesign the stringer system, to make up strength from not having the support foam there.
Brian
87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2006 at 10:49pm
hey brian

you will find lots of info on this site about this project..the foam part is the easy part the stringers take the time and more fiberglass than you my think..the foam is a closed cell.witch is great stuff unless water some how gets traped underneath, it never will drie out(well maybe if you live in Las Vegas and you live to be a 100 years old)I pulled my stinky wet foam out and there was water traped right up to the front of the bow. you can find boat biulding places that blow the foam in for a price or buy the 2 part and do it yourself.. I'am not at that stage for another 3 weeks so not sure what I'll do yet. your local marine supplie store sells the 2 part or go to uscomposite.com I think you need the 5 gallon combo. kit. I'll know more soon. as for the wood to use..use the marine grade..it's bonded together better and it's just better allround pylwood(why else would it be 3 time as much $$$).. look into material calles "TELC".I 've used it to seem the stringers down and also using it to seem the floor edges. its a powder that turns the resin into a glue..and one other thing I used was stuff called "S1" it treats the wood so it does'nt rot again.you CAN NOT use treated wood from the lumber store, fiberglass does not bond to it..I hope to get my pics. up soon.

hope this helps alittle
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 8:34am
Here is my $.02 worth:

Marine grade plywood is NOT rot resistant. It is structural grade utilizing waterproof glue and consisting of 7 plys (or more?). What this means is that it is high quality plywood free of voids. It will rot just as fast as any other general plywood. I used it in the restoration of my '77 Martinique, but was carefull to seal it well with epoxy resin prior to installation.

I would agree that treated plywood is not a good choice mainly because it tends to delaminate, check and split. If the treated plywood is allowed to dry in the sun for several weeks, then the resin will indeed soak into the treated plywood and stick fine.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 10:44am
Agreed...I used standard 1/2"plywood saturated with polyester resin then glassed in w/ fiberglass roving. US Composites is the way to go on the foam. It will take the better part of 5 gallon kit (actually two 5 gallon buckets of 2 part epoxy). I had a little left over (16' Mustang). I got the Douglas Fir and paid to have them cut and glassed in. Thought it may be better to leave the structural integrity to the pros.

If your foam is wet, take the time to pull it and replace it. I estimated 600-800 lbs of water weight added to my boat as a result of the saturated foam.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 12:21pm
I would not shy completely away from pressure treated wood, either for the stingers or for the decking. If you plan to ride her hard and put her away wet, you need to be exceptionally careful in sealing every portion of nontreated wood or it will rot. Pressure treated will work if allowed to season and is roughed properly (I have significanly gouged up stringers I have replaced in the past). I have replaced the Floor and Stringers in three boats that were used in summer camp ski classes, the first time I used pressure treated for the stringers and Marine grade Plywood. Five years later the floors were soft (started around attachment points) I did it with pressure treated, one of them is still solid ten years later (the other two have long since been traded but were solid at the time). I am sure if I didnt use screws along with epoxy to attach the floors and if I better sealed everywhere I screwed in the seats, etc the floor would have outlasted the boats but with the pressure treated lumber I did a much quicker cheaper job and had better results.
     I am not planning on using any wood in my floor/stringer/seat replacement project on the Mustang. Its going to cost me for foam core materials, lamination time, and extra resin/glass, and take a significant amount of forethought so I can glass in anchor plates and other appropriate reinforcements for seats engine mounts etc.. but I can't stand the possibility of doing it again and by the time this thing is finally finished I don't want to lose sleep at night worrying about rotting wood.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Captain Levi's View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Levi's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 3:26pm
Wood is long forgotten! Here at Captain Levi's Fiberglass Boat Repair we used a lot of wood over the years.We now use foam core material such as Klegecell,Coosa Composites to replace that roten wood.Inproving the boat's structural integrity,producing a lighter yet stroger boat that is rot free!Material cost on a 17' Mustang run maybe two hundred dollars more than marine plywood.Labor a lettle less than wood.Material cost to replace stringers, engine beds, bulkheads,floor on a 17'Mustang figure $1200. labor we charge 60 man hours this does not include engine and under water gear removal and instulation.If done correct this is a 0ne time replacement cost to your Correct Craft.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 2:07am
Absolutely ...replace the soaked foam...It will contribute over time to stringer rot and the extra wieght is often 400 plus pounds...like having to or three extra riders...and loss in performance!
I just finished adding new foam tonight! US composites...it is priced better than the other foam kits. plan on at least 16 cubic feet or a tad more...I would have a bit more on hand ...you don't want to be short! two kits(16 cubic ft) was barely enough.
Yes... there are several posts...lots of info on the subject!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 12:21pm
I've been through this whole thing my self over the past 10 months on my 78 ski nautique. I would not recomend using any type of wood in the floor other than around your ski pylon. I completly removed my floor, and my foam, and the foam was soaked, smelly, and nasty. The stringers were rotted in many places, but not rotten to the point of complete removal. I replaced my floor using a combinaiton of 2 lb. closed cell foam, a sheet of 1/8th inch PVC roughed up for a good bond, and then 1/2 inch of Polypropaline Honeycomb core. The honeycomb was used because it is VERY light, and when used horizontaly it has a lot of strenght, especially for plastic. The honeycomb sheets come in 4X8 sheets like plywood or dry wall. Order it with "veils" which are a fuzzy, furry film used to create a good bonding surface for fiberglass. Glue and screw your PVC to the stringers (after they are refinished or replaced), then rough them up with a good 20-60 grit sand paper or grinder. Then take your honeycomb and cut out pieces (very easy stuff to cut, I think i even used Fiskars shop sheer/scissors) to fit in the sections of floor. Glue down your honeycomb to the PVC sheets, and then laminate 2 coats (minimm) of glass over the honeycomb. When you are done with this, you can bet your floor will not rot again, because there is no more wood in the floor! The only place I used wood was around the ski pylon, and there I used a 4 foot piece of dry, treated 2X8, laminated on all sides with several coats of epoxy and glass. Before you do this, you will want to router or cut out 2 slots for the 2 main stringers (1 and 5/8ths inch wide). This will allow your pylon a very strong support for the high stress it goes through. If you'd like more information, and pictures of the process I'm describing, please visit my website at www.78skinautique.zoomshare.com

There are tons of pictures showing the stringer repair, as well as the construction of the floor using honeycomb. For materials at a good price visit www.uscomposites.com becuase they're the best prices I found anywhere. I come from a long history of stingy dutch people so trust me, they're the best out there. Good luck with your project!
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachbrian76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 12:35pm
Guys.....you're killing me here. I wish I would've gotten these tips BEFORE I finished my floor. I used ALL wood!!! Well, when it rots out again, I'll replace it using a combination of all of your tips. The ideas sound great!

Coach B
Brian
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2006 at 1:10pm
JJ...I saw those pics of your floor...quite a job well done!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

87sn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2006 at 1:18am
wood with a good coat of marine protectate like the S1 I used... then fiberglass over the wood to seal it then paint over that with gellcoat.. this is simple and will out last all of use..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic