NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need dash help...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need dash help...
    Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:45am
I am removing my dash so that I can re-wire it and put in new gauges. I might actually replace the dash entirely, but I haven't decided yet.

So, how the heck do I get the darn steering shaft out? I've removed the box in the back, but the shaft has a funky retaining thing on the back side that prevents me from taking it out. As a result, I can't un-attach the chrome hardware from the dash that sits behind the wheel. This is really hacking me off.

Anybody know what kind of tool is required to remove the retaining cone off the back of the steering shaft? Anybody know what the heck I'm talking about? This retaining thing has a square hole (like the back of a 3/8 socket), with a smaller shaft coming out of that.

This seems flipping impossible. Please give me a hand, if you can.

Thanks!
Dave
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 8:14am
Any chance you have a picture of what your trying to do? It sounds like maybe your trying to remove something that you shouldnt try to remove. The usual order of removing the steering system on a boat is remove the wheel, remove the in this case chrome bubble behind the wheel, then remove the entire steering box with the shaft intact. It's possible you have a different setup, post a picture and I am sure someone can help.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 12:49pm
The problem I'm facing is that the key on the shaft won't fit through the hole in the chrome bubble, so I'm trying to get it out the other side. I'll post a picture later if I can.

I've been to the ER now twice for this boat. I got some gunk in my eye last night working on it and it was oozing pus when I woke up this morning. Tried flushing it, but it didn't get any better, so I went to the ER. Turned out to be pink-eye. The gunk falling in it was just coincidence.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 12:55pm
You have to remove the small key.it's just stuck from being in that key way for 30 years , then use a puller, then pull the whole assembly out the back. 513-300-0214

Scott
Scott
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 4:33pm
Okay, I'll try to get the key out. Thanks Scott!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 6:35pm
   I know this sounds crazy, but did you remove the chrome cap on the wheel and revove the bolts to take the wheel off?? Then remove the center bolt in the middle??I replaced the entire helm on the 74, and cant recall any major issues, but it was a while ago (although lately I cant seem to remember much).
                                  Jeff....

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 7:52pm
That's the process I followed, Jeff, but after I pulled the wheel off I can't get the chrome trim pieces off because of the "key" that is in the shaft. It won't fit back through the whole in the chrome trim. That's what Scott is saying should be removable.

I haven't tried it yet. I've felt like crap all day long - if you've never had pink-eye it's a real pain.

Hey, Jeff, Scott, or anyone else with a similar Mustang, how does the back seat attach to your boat? The backrest on mine doesn't attach at all - it was just thrown in there. Is this normal?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2006 at 8:05pm
    Hope you feel better. I cant recall mine coming out that hard, but that was a few years ago and I do recall using a puller. It was one of those "rush" jobs as I snapped the rusted steering cable doing a power turn, and wanted the boat for that weekend. I replaced the helm because those steering cables were NLA, and had to buy a helm with the new cable. It was good that it was the same bolt pattern, and no one would ever know it was replaced. I would check your cable at the rudder because its a stainless rod coming out of the sheath crimped onto a steel cable. That should be illegal!! Thats about as far as I can go because I just plain cant remember... Get well!!
                             Jeff...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 5:57am
I didn't have to use a puller to get the wheel off. Everything was pretty easy until I got to that darn key.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2006 at 7:08am
I use a very small screwdriver. (pocket size). You have to get the screwdriver behind the key then just pry it out. You might even need to use a hammer to tap on the screwdriver. Its just a little hard to get out because of age. Sorry, I cant help you with the seat...

Get well soon...
Scott
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 7:55am
Use a brass drift punch and knock the woodruff key out of the steering shaft. Remove the chrome escutcheon and then remove the entire helm out from the rear.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 9:14am
Worst case scenario and you just cant get that key out while its on the boat, make a notch in the chrome cover to clear it (dremel, drill, what have you, you won't ever see it once the steering wheel is installed and you can work the key out with a bence vise once you get the system removed.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2006 at 5:18pm
I've tried every one's tips, and Joe's finally worked. I couldn't move that key to save my life. Thankfully, drilling the chrome cover finally did it. Now if I could only get that stupid shifter off.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic