Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat housing on '72 302

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat housing on '72 302
    Posted: August-28-2013 at 4:52pm
I am getting started on a restoration of a 72 Skier, and looking for some info on the Conqueror 220 engine. It has a plastic thermostat housing that looks suspect. To my surprise, I was able to run the engine and see where it is leaking. The thermostat housing has two layers, and is leaking in between them. I would like to track down a proper housing(unless it was supposed to be plastic).
The carb is leaking as well. It appears to be from the accelerator pump. Should I order up a carb kit right away, or are they able to be cleaned without replacing parts?
I bought the boat on a whim, and after much research and deliberation I've decided to jump in the deep end. I'd like to get the engine running properly before pulling it out to start on the dreaded stringer replacement.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 5:19pm
The plastic housing is correct. If it is leaking between the halves, a new gasket may be in order. If you cant source one, then get some gasket material and cut your own. Got any pictures of your boat? I love the early 70's Skiers.

tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:00pm
I popped it off and there is no gasket between the halves, and there is no thermostat in there. Is there any good place to find parts for this engine? I am in the boat business so I have access to suppliers and aftermarket parts, but the Crusader sections of my books have very few parts for the 220. I found what may be the gasket in a Sierra parts book, but it isn't really clear.
I'll try to attach a few pictures of the boat. The interior is stripped for the most part, as well as a lot of the exterior trim pieces. I have most of the parts, and will be tracking down the rest once I get some of the bigger problems solved.

Sorry about the gigantic pictures.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:13pm
Wow, that is a beautiful boat- and mostly original. Very cool. Where are you located?

In regards to parts, is there anything in particular that youre looking for? Most of them are common to other marinizations- I havent found anything too hard to find yet.

Drop me a line if youre missing interior parts when the time comes... I can help you out with the buckets if you dont have any.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:17pm
Nice boat!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:20pm
That thing is a real looker!
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:22pm
I'm in Green Lake, WI.
I'm going to get more concerned with the little parts once the stringer job is done. I want to run the engine before pulling it, so I know what it needs. I have a bit of time before winter, so I'd like to sort out the engine and maybe lake test the boat. I figure I'll have time this winter to find all the little stuff. I know my windshield isn't original, I don't have the front scoop, not sure about the spot on the dash where a speedo was, and so on. From what I've read, this is definitely the place to be for support with these projects.
I think I found a t-stat gasket, but I haven't found the thermostat itself. I also found a carb kit.
Here's one, I don't have the right dipstick or tube. Can I get a standard dipstick for a 302, or is it dependent on the oil pan capacity?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 6:30pm
I am fairly certain that the Conq/Crusader takes a normal (automotive style) thermostat... though I'd buy a marine one. Get the 143deg.

That windshield is in fact original- the square framed one was optional. The speedo looks to have been a period correct surface mount airguide judging by the hole pattern, so that should be an easy drop in.

I would amass a list of things youre missing and start the search now. Depending on what the items are, it can take a long time for things to become available. The seats are one of those things... I looked for several years for a set and finally resorted to making a mold for them. I can make them now, but lead times can still be pretty long!
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 7:18pm
Thanks for the encouraging words.   I'll be picking your brains for help along the way.
I was able to find an aftermarket thermostat kit, Sierra part number 18-3671. The carb on this boat is a Holley 4473, which takes a Sierra repair kit# 18-7096. Impeller kit for this pump is Sierra # 18-3046. I have a lot of parts books if anyone needs help finding part numbers. I'm not partial to Sierra parts, but they seem to have a lot of older stuff.
I pulled the raw water pump off, and found that the long bolt going all the way through the circulating pump is broken off in the block. That will set me back a few hours.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 7:24pm
Skip that Sierra impeller- get a genuine Sherwood or a PCM. SkiDIM or a CC dealer (N3, White Lake, etc) would be the best source. PCM parts are generally higher quality than Sierra, in my experience.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by tommy54 tommy54 wrote:

I am in the boat business so I have access to suppliers and aftermarket parts, but the Crusader sections of my books have very few parts for the 220. I found what may be the gasket in a Sierra parts book, but it isn't really clear.

Yes, skip the Sierra parts. You must be buying from the wrong source! How long have you been in the "boat business?

Great looking boat - Keep it original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 8:37pm
About 12 years. I have a boat rental business and storage business. I have a fleet of 16 rental boats that each run ~200 hundred hours a year, so I'm not stranger to impellers. I get to deal with 3,200 boating-hours worth of problems each year.
I know some people prefer to buy name brand, but I've never had a premature failure. Some have failed when renters decide to run a motor while stuck on a sandbar, but then I don't think that is Sierra's fault.
Admittedly, I do run Quicksilver impellers on my Mercruisers. My storage customers(75 boats) have their choice of the cheap impellers or the factory replacements. No premature failures on any of them. The only ones that fail are the customers who choose not to have it replaced.
I do plan on keeping the boat as original as possible, and will be asking questions about certain functional upgrades.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 8:53pm
Nice looking boat!

Welcome to the "green boat owners club"

Here's mine which is on the long term restoration plan.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 11:18am
I have a Sierra impeller in the Mercruiser pump on our BFN, and use Sierra parts on my Johnnyrude outboards... no complaints with the quality. What we have seen here though, is that the size or tolerancing of the Sierra impellers for the Sherwood pumps seems a little off- causing cooling issues. Stick with OEM on this one.

FYI, the square framed windshield that was optional 71-73 became standard on the Skier for 74-75... and you can see it in the brochure in our reference section.
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 3:11pm
You've convinced me. I'll get the oem impeller.
Any input on the dipstick and dipstick tube? Mine is chrome and doesn't fit in the hole.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic