NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WEMA Senders (Fuel & Ballast)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WEMA Senders (Fuel & Ballast)
    Posted: August-29-2013 at 10:58am
A few months ago, I made a mini group buy of WEMA senders to replace gas tank floats on friends' 91 through 93 Ski and Barefoot Nautiques.

At that time, I contacted WEMA on group buy possibilities. They said that they will offer a 30% discount on CCFAN orders. The trick is that the orders MUST be taken over the phone....you MUST state that you are a CCFan.com member and you MUST mention my name (cuz I'm kinda of a big deal).

WEMA senders are metal rod and hard plastic float reed senders that are the standard in today's fuel and ballast tanks. They come in multiple ohm and length configurations. These are the OEM senders that Nautiques (and other not-named boat manufacturers) use for fuel and ballast tanks. If you need specialty applications - check with a Nautique Dealer - like N3 and WLM).

They are more expensive than cheapie EBay standard floats. They are more durable (with not saturate and disintegrate) and will hold up longer than regular floats. The senders are a direct swap and come with a nice wiring pigtail to make the swap easy.

Here's what they look like - and what most of us need:

WEMA Fuel/Ballast Senders
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 11:00am
BTW - We use SSS/SSL style for our tanks.........
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 12:49pm
Steve, Eddie,backfoot100,did a little write up on those awhile back. They sure look like the way to go,link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 7:20pm
Yep - I know - that's why I looked into them...it was a great thread until you and Donald took it sideways...... Donald's always somehow behind things goin sideways.

I like the sender - I haven't heard what Marty and Kevin thought about them in their 93 Ski Nautiques.... and I don't think Rod put the sender in yet. It was a crazy simple swap in the BFN's belly tank; I think they were able to swap them without taking the fuel tank out in the SNs.

I bet TX Foilhead is up for one soon in his Excel................
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 1:56pm
I need to order one because the Ebay one I got does not work. I bought the Euro one with the right ohm range too but still shows 1/4 when full and then as I use gas it goes towards full.
Maybe they sent me the wrong one. Just haven't had the time to mess with it again.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 2:25pm
It is the wrong Ohm setting..... The Euro setting ones USUALLY bolt up differently too.... than what came standard in our boats (240-33 ohm)...
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 4:17pm
Steve, I would like to order one for my 93 Sport.
Ask for the US style? Have the gas tank in the sloped stern section (probably like the 93 Ski).
Any advise/recomendation would be appreciated.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 4:37pm
I just ordered one for my boat. I called Wema and they suggest 1" clearance with the bottom of the tank. Since in the link above there are photos of my 1993 Ski tank, I knew it was 10.75" from the bottom of the tank to the top mounting surface. Thus, I ordered a 9.5" SSS/SSL sender. With discount and shipping it came to $48.39.

Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Steve, I would like to order one for my 93 Sport.
Ask for the US style? Have the gas tank in the sloped stern section (probably like the 93 Ski).
Any advise/recomendation would be appreciated.

Get the SSS/SSL model..... Get access to your tank and drop a tape down the sender hole (or measure up the side if you have a clear shot at it).

You want a Standard American 240-33 ohms.... if you haven't swapped your Faria gauge out (I think....just guessin' here that you have the Faria standard gauge......)

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 12:41pm
Yep - I know - it was a great thread until you and Donald took it sideways...... Donald's always somehow behind things goin sideways.

[/QUOTE]

Do not hate the player. It was Gary's fault.

I still have not dug into my backward reading issues. I will dig into it this fall or sooner.

Donald
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 1:48pm
Hey don't be blaming me, I tried to keep my boats origin secret you guy's blew the cover on my guides so I had to send them off to witness protection.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 5:34pm
Yes-- the Sender works GREAT ! Installed without removing the fuel tank:) It takes a little backyard smarts- but with a little tweaking it slides right in    OK Donald-- NO JOKES

QUOTE GaryS[Hey don't be blaming me, I tried to keep my boats origin secret you guy's blew the cover on my guides so I had to send them off to witness protection.QUOTE]

I think I saw those back in April at the WL Mini 2013
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 5:51pm
Hey, guys, I have a whole box of those things in my garage that I'd love to be rid of. Several different lengths, some from ballast tanks and some from fuel. If anyone is interested, I'll make you a REAL deal on the whole box of them. I'm tired of storing them.
Art
"Art"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 6:30pm
I would be willing to buy a fuel type. Pretty sure I would need 10- 10.5" length.
Don't want the whole box.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Hey, guys, I have a whole box of those things in my garage that I'd love to be rid of. I'm tired of storing them.
Art

I think at the next river run a little field trip is required,I'd venture to guess there are some treasures there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 12:22pm
Jimsport, I'll be happy to sell you or anyone else however many you want if I can find one the right length. One is fine. Probably $30, does that sound fair? Plus shipping!

I have sent off an inquiry to Wema asking whether there is any difference between the fuel and the water ones. I don't think there is, unless it would be the float material. They all look the same.

I will test any of them that I might sell with an ohmeter. Unless you have a European system gauge, the correct range is 240 ohms at empty and 33 ohms at full.

Gary, I'd love to host a few of the River Run folks to my shop. The problem is this: Disorganization! A lot of the stuff is in boxes and labeled, much of it is stuck in various little spots, and some in a storage unit elsewhere. Hopefully by then I will be able to make some time to organize a bit. Of course I have some stuff that's not for sale.

Remember that next year many of us will be headquartering at the Tavares / Mount Dora show due to CC being the feature boat.

Art
"Art"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 1:35pm
Art, yes, $30 plus shipping is fair. Will mail you a check or paypal. Whichever you prefer. I have the standard 240-33 ohm system.
You can PM me your address and I will give you mine as well.
Thanks for breaking the full box!
Hopefully, you have one the right length. Don't break your neck measuring them....whenever it is convenient for you.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 2:11pm
Art, just sent you a private message with my address and cell phone contact.

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 8:56pm
I heard back from WEMA. The water and fuel senders are in fact the same. Now I've just got to find one the correct length and test it.
Art
"Art"
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2013 at 12:48pm
Just sent you a PM Art. Thanks!
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2013 at 6:00pm

Hello Art, here is my measurement directly straight into the tank (ruler bottoms out on hump in middle of tank) Let me know, happy to meet ya anywhere in Orlando.

Mike

Tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me send the pic.

407-758-4038

shagit007@aol.com
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 4:31pm
Digging this thread up...

It's time to upgrade the fuel tank sender on the bfn. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of tank depth... I am really hoping to only pull the tank once (once I have the new sender in hand). Outside height is 12". In the pics posted, it looks like tank thickness is not significant- so with the 1/2" buffer wema recommends, I'd probably be safe with a 11" sender.

Sound about right?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 4:41pm
Tim, I still have a box full of those senders. Are you saying I should go look and see whether I have an 11" one?
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 4:48pm
Art, that would be great! I'd love some confirmation that I'm in the right ballpark on the length, but otherwise that sounds good. Hoping to get one on the way this week one way or another. Shoot me an email!
Sleepyone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 6:49pm
I just purchased one from discount inboard marine that is adjustable for my 87 and you have to cut the float rod length and the overall length and hook it up very straight forward and works great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic