Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice on a 1970 Mustang I'm considering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Valcour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valcour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice on a 1970 Mustang I'm considering
    Posted: August-31-2013 at 10:08pm

Hi,

I'm looking for collective wisdom from the CCF forum. There is a 1970 Mustang for sale near me. It has the Holman Moody 302. The boat is in very nice condition., with original trailer. Original owner, never in salt water, and always stored under cover. In fact, it lived on the trailer unless it was being used - didn't sit in the water. The owner is a very meticulous guy, very mechanically savvy, and is a vintage car restorer and racer. He asking $9000 for the boat. I'm wondering if that's a good price for this boat.

Pictures below.

Thanks,

Val

IMG]uploads/14293/IMG_0418.JPG[/IMG]

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Valcour Valcour wrote:

I'm wondering if that's a good price for this boat.
Thanks,

Val

Good price for who? Him? Have you ever spent time in one or even been in one? They are kinda small and ride hard in big water,though they make good river boats. Where and what do you plan to do with it? It is way over priced, though if he gets it it will make mine worth that much more I do know with the 2bbl it is the lowest hp HM. He might be asking that price just because it is a HM. Being in CT I wonder what Tim can tell us about it,it looks like Olive Oyl
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2013 at 11:04pm
There is a Mustang by me for sale Just like this one original owner babied its whole life. I have said to the owner when your ready to sell call me first, well its now for sale and the asking price is $9000 also.
When they put such a big price tag on them they really don't want to sell way to high
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 10:19am
That's a nice looking boat- haven't checked it out yet but it's in my neck of the woods and I've been tempted. The only non original items I see are the 2 extra scoops up front, mirror and fuel gauge.

Piece is definitely way high- even the cleanest examples of these boats don't command more than $6-7k. It also appears that it was last registered on 2006, so it's probably been sitting for a while.

Val, where are you located exactly?
Valcour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valcour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 10:26am
Thanks for the responses.

Gary, The intended use is for pulling skiers, tubes, etc. It would be an a protected lake with flat water, < 1 ft waves max, so nothing rough. Yes, they are small, but I have a boathouse that was built in the late 60s, and is very narrow. Most modern boats won't fit in it.

doc, might be the same boat you reference?

TR, good eye. It was last in the water in '06, and the fuel gauge and mirror are added (both are CC parts, though). I'm in the Farmington Valley.

Val
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 12:10pm
Nice boat.
Stringers?
Make the guy and offer. And promise to take good care of his "baby".
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 12:13pm
There is a nice looking 74 Mustang listed in the for sale section. Asking $4,000. It is in Indiana.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 12:39pm
Definitely a nice-looking boat. I like the H & M, even though it is the low-end one. Probably doesn't have the 351 heads or the custom cam.
Incidentally, I have found out that H & M is still in business in Charlotte. I hear that they only do high-end custom work.
Art
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 3:41pm
Your right Art,high end stuff but thay also still have intake manifolds and valve covers,I bought these covers a couple of years ago. Reid has had them do engine work too.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 4:47pm
Val, don't test Tim's eye, he doesn't miss much. the boat looks clean but 9K is WAY high...if you're in CT I would highly recommend sending TRBenj a pm, he generally knows every cc that moves in that area...if you're serious about buying one, he'll help you out. Can you tell us exactly what you're looking for? you said your boathouse is narrow, what's the most beam you can accommodate? because there are much better boats available for skiing, tubing (don't worry, we'll help you kick that habit), etc, but if you have a space limitation that changes things
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 4:49pm
actually, Tim, didn't you say you were looking to move the inca gold? I know its your slowest boat, you should probably just bail on that...if Val doesn't want it cause its baby puke colored I'll give you $200 for it
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

actually, Tim, didn't you say you were looking to move the inca gold?

Wait, did I miss something?

Is hell freezing over?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 8:29pm
13 minutes, good reaction time Mars...that may have been made up while I was sitting at the bar drinking margaritas, but that $200 offer still stands, you should consider that generous, tnat boat doesn't even have a tower
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 8:36pm
Don't let it go that cheap,Harbor Freight has towers --------

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 12:43am
Are you sure that's a '70? Looks like a '67-69.
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 1:15am
The front scoop in front of the flag pole socket and the 2 close together on the rear deck make it a '69 or newer Tim
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 4:26am
Many here have opinions on the value of these old boats, and $9,000 is a lot of money. It is almost as much as the sales tax on a new Super Air Nautique G25 here in illinois.
Super clean old Mustangs don't come up often, especially with H/M engines, but there are a few out there, usually not for sale though.
The only value any of these old boats have is what it's worth to you.
I will have spent much more than that on my 70 H/M Mustang when it's done, and many here think that is foolish. They may be right, but that's the cost of making my dream come true.
If that boat is your dream and you just have to have it be sure to have it checked out by a Mustang expert before you buy it even if it costs you a few coins.
If your dream isn't a 70 H/M Mustang and any super noce original inboard about that size will do, keep looking. Very nice boats come up here from time to time.
I enjoyed the photos.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

fun2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fun2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 5:35am
If that boat is your dream and you just have to have it be sure to have it checked out by a Mustang expert before you buy it even if it costs you a few coins.
www.worldofwarcraftgold4u.com | www.rsgolds2u.com | www.ffxi2gil.com |tau2gn0ah.
Valcour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valcour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 12:22pm
Wow! Lots of great advice and insight. I feel like I've stumbled into a very knowledgable and friendly club.

To answer some questions:

Don't know about the stringers situation. Given the storage history, I would expect a problem, but I would certainly sound the stringers and test the engine bed bolts at a minimum (I am still learning about CCs, but have a fair amount of knowledge about boatbuilding.

Available beam in my boathouse is about 6' 8". The boat currently in there is 6'4", and it has only a bit of room. However, the boathouse also has some structural issues that I need to fix, and there is a potential to widen it. That opens up more options on boats. See below.

A 1970 Mustang is not my dream, though I love vintage boats. I was going there because of available boathouse width. Truthfully, it's a bit small, and has the potential for problems that simply come with a 40 year old boat. I'm not looking for more project boats (got a few already).

If I widen the boathouse, I still have a limit on length. Looking at the potential CC models, the nautique 176 caught my eye. It's bigger, has composite stringers, and has more interior volume. Never been in one, but have read good things. Any thoughts on that model - or should I start a new thread?

JonB - glad you liked the photos.

Oh, and IAught, the tubing is just for the little kids.

Thanks
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 1:14pm
Uhhhh ...... I don't think composite stringers came about during the 176 era.
Art
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Uhhhh ...... I don't think composite stringers came about during the 176 era.
Art

I'm assuming he's talking about the 176 from the mid-late 90s and not the 17'6"/17'9" 2nd gen (1970-1981) ski nautique. The former obviously has composite stringers.

With a 6'8" width limit, I'd be concentrating on the 2nd gen ski nautiques if you're looking for a functional ski boat. They are significantly larger and more functional as ski machines than the 16' mustang. 2-wide observer seat, platforms, and more interior space make a big difference.

Where abouts do you ski? I grew up in Burlington and work in the area as well.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your right Art,high end stuff but thay also still have intake manifolds and valve covers,I bought these covers a couple of years ago. Reid has had them do engine work too.

Show Off
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 4:27pm
Still can't see how you know about the gas gauge Tim,am I missing a pic? I bet with 9 k budget you could get a real nice 70 to 80's boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 4:34pm
Good point, Tim; I had thought about the "modern day" 176 but in my mind that was created back in the '80s! Way to watch me. I want you to be my editor!!
Art
"Art"
Valcour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valcour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 10:06pm
Yes, I was talking about the circa 1996 version of the Nautique 176. Any thoughts on these boat, or suggestions of CCs that are less than 18 feet?

TR - I live in Simsbury, but the boat would be used at a cottage way up north, so I'm shipping locally, but not skiing locally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic