Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine allignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine allignment
    Posted: April-23-2004 at 6:58pm
While winterizing my '75 Southwind 20 (351W/71C BW) last fall I noticed the jam nuts on the front motor mounts were loose. How do I determine if it is out of allignment (other than putting it in the lake and running it) and what is the procedure for re-allignment? Thanks.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2004 at 8:49pm
I beleive there are several threads on this here and on Nautique Planet. You need to tighten the nutson the front mounts. Then seperate the flange on the back of the transmission and the prop shaft. Rotate the shaft with a feeler guage between the flanges. The clearence should be .0001 to .0003" If more you are out of allignment.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2004 at 10:30pm
the manuals in the refrence section give a short discription.

if the lock nuts are loose on the rear mounts, you should be okay and will only need to check as rick has stated ( but multiply by 10 0.001 to 0.003). it would be pretty hard for the adjustment shaft to spin from vibration.

if the front lock nuts are loose, you should be able to see if the trunion has been working up and down on the threads. the trunion is not threaded and the adjustment is from the lower nut.

it is important to align the boat at rest in the water. i do it with boat still attached to the trailer but floating. with calm water and a big pry bar, it's a two hour job.

if you think you want to try the ultimate-anal alignment, here is the
procedure
cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2004 at 5:08pm
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully nothing has moved. We didn't use it alot last summer and I don't remember being in any real nasty water, so maybe they're ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic