Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

??bad coil?? pics added

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ??bad coil?? pics added
    Posted: September-02-2013 at 2:15pm
ok so from everything i have read the coil is shot (its an old oil filled coil) tell me what you guys think or what else to test for....

so i have power to the coil but no spark at all, i have had the motor apart for over a year- but everything is hooked back up just as it was when it was running... so i am sorta stumped, let me know what u guys think.    thanks- stephen
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 3:11pm
Disconnect the wires from the coil and ohm across the two studs that will tell you if it's bad.
It should read around 1.5 - 1.7 if its a unresisted coil or around 2.5 - 3.5 if it's a resistive coil.(IIRC)
What do you have in the way of a distributor (points, elec.conversion)
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 7:30pm
as far as distributor its the original points, and the coil looks like it could be the original one too... but it reads 2.3 between the - and +   and from center post to either neg or pos it is reading 4k...     it still has the resistor on the rear of the motor and its still hooked up so the resistor is being used in line (not being jumpered past)

what will it read if its bad??
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 11:26pm
Typically a failed coil will have an open circuit on the primary winding (infinite ohms).

Check to make sure your points are getting a good ground.

A simple functional test is to manually ground the - side of coil (with + side hot) & when you take the ground away it should create a spark.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 7:28pm
so it doesn't spark... and i am a youngster and have never had points in any of my vehicles.... is the wire leading to the distributor a hot wire or a ground??? if it is a hot wire then the ground would be through the block correct?

sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 7:28pm
screw this i am taking a picture of the ugly wiring nightmare the po left me with so you guys can help me out...
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:25pm
pictures. but before i post them, here is my deal. i have no spark from the coil. i do however have power to the + side of the coil. (single purple wire on the left side) so then i have a gray wire coming to the negative side with a purple wire coming off that running to the distributor, and get this:: that side is hot as well!
to say i am frustrated with this would be the least. i have an electrician background, and have done plenty with wiring harnesses on vehicles... if someone would be kind enough to post a pic or two of their coil distributor area or just tell me which colors go where i could probably get it. i have no clue how this thing worked before..

sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:27pm
another of the rear, not sure this helps but here it is, easy on me fellas i know its rough looking, but we are getting there

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 11:07pm
Sam - If the points are not closed, or closed but not getting a ground, then the (-) side of the coil will have same volts as (+) side. (Think of a capped-pipe, it will have same pressure along the length).

So you could check to make sure your points are getting a good ground. Disconnect the (-) coil lead & use an Ohm meter while cranking the engine. You should see ohms go from infinite to zero repeatedly.

Edit - It would actually be easier to just use the voltmeter on (-) side (wires hooked up) & turn the engine over with breaker bar. You should see the volts go to zero when the points close.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 11:51pm
got it, will try that tomorrow. if it isn't going to zero( getting a good ground) what should i do/check? it should be grounding through the block right?
also what if it does drop to zero?   im just trying to get work lined up so i am not sitting on my butt tomorrow waiting for a reply !!   
remember the distributor has set unused for over a year... the block has just been rebuilt. and btw i am a complete cherry when it comes to points...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:38am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Sam - If the points are not closed, or closed but not getting a ground, then the (-) side of the coil will have same volts as (+) side. (Think of a capped-pipe, it will have same pressure along the length).

So you could check to make sure your points are getting a good ground. Disconnect the (-) coil lead & use an Ohm meter while cranking the engine. You should see ohms go from infinite to zero repeatedly.

Edit - It would actually be easier to just use the voltmeter on (-) side (wires hooked up) & turn the engine over with breaker bar. You should see the volts go to zero when the points close.

This is a good test, and most likely will show the issue, but personally, I find it easier to pop off the cap and watch the points close and open while someone else cranks the motor. If they arent visibly sparking, then hit both pads with a bit of sand paper or emery cloth (remember to turn the ignition off before touching anything).
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

- then hit both pads with a bit of sand paper or emery cloth (remember to turn the ignition off before touching anything).

+1
The first thing to be done with a points engine that used to run but been setting and now doesn't spark.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 4:47pm
i took emery cloth to the points and now i have spark between the points, nice and blue. also the coil now reads 1 volt at the negative and 7.8 to the positive with the key and ignition on, but still no spark from the coil. so my resistor is good, my points are closed... im gonna put a new coil on her and see what happens. will update later this afternoon with what happens. and yes it is an externally resisted coil.
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 12:57am
she is running!! now i just have to figure out why its not sucking water off the lake(or bucket), its a new impeller, so i don't think that is it. it has a stupid inline pvc fitting for hooking a hose up that may be leaking... the rwp works off of suction right? guess i will bypass this fitting and see if it pulls water up
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 3:04am
Raw water pump installed the wrong way? Easy mistake, often made when changing impeller.
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 2:14pm
i don't think so, i saw a diagram holleywood posted a while back and took a screen shot, it showed the screw(not sure what its called) in the 9 oclock postition(for RH) if you are looking at the front of the motor. the 3 o clock position is for a LH

diagram

i am going to rule out the air leak first
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 5:46pm
If you're blowing bubbles in your sea strainer the pump is on backwards.

Put 5' of clear vinyl hose from the RWP to a bucket of water. Should collapse the hose before 2000 rpm.
sams 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sams 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 12:56am
It was an air leak. The PVC t fitting the po had to hook up a Waterhose leaked. It was spring loaded and would 'supposedly' seal when sucking off the lake, but it had seen better days.

HW it's funny you say that about clear vinyl hose, I did just that this morning!! Great minds think alike I guess.   I hooked it up right before the water strainer. I wanted to make sure NOTHING else leaked. And like you said it collapsed the hose at about 2200. Did a quick water test on the lake and she is ready to go out tommorow

Thanks for all the help fellas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic