Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop nut not staying tight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop nut not staying tight
    Posted: September-03-2013 at 4:37pm
I put a refurbed prop on my 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 and after each ride the nut and prop are at the end of the prop shaft with just the cotter pin holding them on. How can I keep the nut tight against the prop? Lock-tight? Thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 5:01pm
Are you using a Nylock nut or a castle nut? Nylock should stay put and if it doesn't it is worn out and you need a new part. The pin is located at the end of the shaft? Sounds like someone might have replaced the shaft with a newer style correct craft shaft set up for a Nylock nut. The castle nut is supposed to have a hole positioned so that the cotter pin runs through the castle portion of the nut to keep it put. Photos help.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 5:04pm
It could be that the inner diameter on the prop is oversized, allowing it to go up the shaft further, in this case you could put whatever thickness washer is needed in between prop and nut to position the nut correctly
Brian
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 6:37pm
Pics would help but here is the long and short of it:

If a propeller is fit to the shaft taper correctly, you wont even need the nut. (figuratively speaking, of course) It aint coming off without a puller.
There is more wrong than just a nut.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Pics would help but here is the long and short of it:

If a propeller is fit to the shaft taper correctly, you wont even need the nut. (figuratively speaking, of course) It aint coming off without a puller.
There is more wrong than just a nut.

Absolutely, the nut is not needed to hold the prop on. Did you bother to lap the prop on? How many props have you installed? Did you do any research on the correct method? I have seen many a boat come in without any nut. It's there to seat the prop on a properly fit taper.
Proper Prop installation

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 7:40pm
What Pete said. Tapered fits are designed as a fail safe for safety related parts.

Automotive uses lots of tapered fittings. Ball joints, tie rod ends, Safety parts etc.

My boat ran for a month or two with no prop nut because it lives on a lift. I bought what was labeled as a stainless steel cotter pin but it was standard steel and rusted away in a few months.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 9:34pm
So then how did the prop fall off of my grandparents (now uncles) 87 Martinique, never had the prop messed with, only 1200 hours, we were cruising, starting to come off plane, and had a really bad vibration. So we all checked out the drive shaft behind the tranny. Then we put it in gear, and nothing! Except for a fast moving shaft... That boat went in with a nut and cotter pin...
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

So then how did the prop fall off of my grandparents (now uncles) 87 Martinique, never had the prop messed with, only 1200 hours, we were cruising, starting to come off plane, and had a really bad vibration. So we all checked out the drive shaft behind the tranny. Then we put it in gear, and nothing! Except for a fast moving shaft... That boat went in with a nut and cotter pin...

random guess, but this would make sense to me...

probably was seated nicely and hit something in the water hard enough to knock it off of its taper, or came unbalanced when it lost a blade. when it loosened up, the spinning prop twisted the nut hard enough to shear the cotter pin, then the nut came off as it spun.   
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 10:57pm
either that or Navy Seals
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:11pm
haha, navy seals...

The vibration wasnt shacking the boat violently, just a vibration that was never there before...

Well, the new prop is too small the motor winds well up into the 5k+ rpm range... But, the motor has a really awesome throaty sound to it! We dont go up past the 4500 rpm mark as higher than that on a 1200 hour motor that has been in a boat that has been abused needs to be babied a tiny... But, the new prop doesnt load the motor up near as much, therefore a new sound...

Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:20pm
I've never messed with my SW prop, no idea if it's original; and my Century prop is about 30 years old (89Martinique: lost the original somewhere off the bluff after last call at the Switz circa 1980..)

Someday maybe I'll update; just curious..how long have tapered shafts been in use?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 3:45pm
It's a castle nut and not the nylon nut and yes the hole for the cotter pin is at the end of the shaft. I've had this boat for almost 20 years and have not replaced the shaft, I did whoever put a 4 blade prop on there to replace the three blade that was the original and had a heck of a time getting it off. As I'm writing I remember that after I changed out the 3 blade for the 4 blade that it ended up coming off because the cotter pin was not stainless and so I put the 3 blade back on. Our lake dried up and fortunately I found my 4 blade prop that's when I had it refurbed and put it back on. Now noticing that the nut doesn't stay snug against the prop no matter how tight I get it. I'll do a search on how to lash the prop then see if I can locate a lock nut that size.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 4:06pm
Are you sure this 4 blade isn't for a 1 1/8" shaft?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 4:22pm
^^^^^^^ this
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by marmon77 marmon77 wrote:

how to lash the prop

What is "lash"? Did you take a look at the link to "proper prop installation" I provided several posts ago?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 7:55pm
A prop that comes off it's taper was not lapped in and seated. It comes down to a poor install.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2013 at 12:13am
Mark - It is normal for the nut to be loose. My boat is this way (HW, saw you coming on that one).

If the prop is lapped to the shaft, it seats so tight that the nut isn't really needed.

I skipped the lapping step once & the prop did work loose. Won't take that shortcut again!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 10:52pm
Thanks guys. I just went back and read the "lapping" process, I skimmed right past it when I read the post the other day, and will have to get under there and do this so my prop stays on. As far as it being the right prop, I believe it is, I bought for my year and make, because it does get snug buuuut works it's way back down the shaft.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 1:49am
I took the time to lap my prop on. I just followed the directions and found it was very easy.

It sounds like your nut won't tighten against the prop (i) with the nut cotter pin in place, and (ii) even with the nut tightened to the end of the shaft threads. As for (i), I would switch to a nylon lock prop nut. They are supposed to only be installed two times maximum before the nylon is shot and the nut should be replaced. As for (ii), I guess some washers are in order, unless someone can chime in with a reason not to use them.

That (ii) condition is pretty odd, though. The guys questioning the shaft diameter and prop hole diameter may be on the money.

Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 5:52am
Prop shops will ream the taper bore to true them up before truing up the prop pitch. This will allow the prop to sit deeper on the taper. In this case, I have had to use washers to bring a castle nut aft so they align with the cotter pin hole. I like to use brass thrust washers since they are 1/8" thick and their diameter is closer to the prop hub diameter.
Mark,
BTW, you may want to go back and edit the title of this thread. I'm sure you wanted to say nut and not bolt!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic