NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welders

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welders
    Posted: September-08-2013 at 11:21am
Looking to buy a welder any ones you gurus would recommend ?

just the weekend warrior stuff
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 12:21pm
Really depends on what you are wanting to do with it? A Lincoln or Miller 110V welder should be all you need around the house. But I would stay away from the flux-core wire. Spend the extra money and get some good solid core wire and go to a place like Praxair or Airgas and get a bottle of Stargon and run gas with it. It's easier to work with and your welds will be a lot cleaner with less sl*g to clean up. I'd also recommend spending the extra money and going with a good auto-darkening hood. It will make it a lot easier to work and you want the best protection for your eyes possible.    
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 2:04pm
I second the above but see for some reason much better welding with the 220 version, manufacturers seem to say there is no difference.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 2:32pm
I have a Miller-matic 140 and it does just fine for weekend warrior stuff. Don't use the external gas bottles and welds are OK. Someday if I use it more I will get gas and solid core wire.
If I welded a lot I would go 220v but it works just fine for what I use it for.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2013 at 4:24pm
I agree with the 220 over 110. (most weld thicker metal) Also get the gas, I use Argon/CO2 for most steel applications. I would spend the extra and buy the Miller 211. (it can be used 110 or 220). I bought one 3 years ago and love it. Probably the last welder you would ever need.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 10:52am
I have a nice little Hobart 110 Handler. Does pretty well and it will burn up some pretty thick stuff. Flux core in it but capability to run whatever gas you need and aluminum welding capabilities.

The only thing I did with it when I bought it was weld body panels so I didn't go with a super stout one just one that could do that fine.

Taught myself to weld and it turned out to be money well spent. Tried a cheap one first and wasn't happy with results.

Everything on a Hobart says Miller in little letters FYI.

+1 on the auto darkening helmet too. It won't make you see stars!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 11:18am
Kirk,
Its been asked already... what are you welding? Like Zach and Bret say, if you only do sheet metal and light work, the 110 would work. I originally had 110 and found I got into things I hadn't planned on. If you ever get into heavier stuff hold out for a 220V.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:08am
Well I'm starting with my #3 trailer some of the plates that hold the side fender bunks are rusted. I have redone the bearings, brakes and ordered carpet for the main bunks.
    Just seems lately there is something I could weld
I was in our local farm and fleet and their line is the Hobart's you say these are made by Miller ? They didn't have the Lincoln brand but they had a Hobart that's pretty much the same thing.
no problem setting up for 220
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:31am
Its a few years old and for what its worth, here's a link on Jalopy Journal to a topic regarding Miller / Hobart welders.

Like most forums seems to be some contradicting posts, but gives you something to look/ ask about while shopping.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 9:07am
Even the 120V welders can join heavy section if you preheat with a torch 1st.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 9:28am

I have a Lincoln 180amp 220v very happy with it.
Some cheap welders have plastic drive parts so watch for that.
I think the biggest gas cyl.you can own (without leasing) is 150 cu. ft.
You may think about buying your welder from your gas supplier.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 7:32am
Miller 175 (240 volt). Yes, set it up for gas shielding and forget the flux core. I run mine on 75/25 gas for mild steel and the tri gas mix for stainless. .030 wire. Fantastic welder!! Always go for the best out there!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 10:57am
Miller 180 $880.00 does that sound about right?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 3:17pm
are stick welders an option. if so, craigslist is always littered with the old Lincoln cracker boxes.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2013 at 5:28pm
i cant imagine my life without a stick welder also
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2013 at 12:29pm
i have the same set up as pete (now i'm SURE it was the right choice hahaha). always runs perfect, can't go wrong. i think i got it for around $700 new in 2002.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 5:24pm
I was at the local welding supply store yesterday and the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i on display caught my eye. I typically only like blue welders but this little multiprocess welder sells for about a grand and allows you to run mig, stick and tig. The only problem that I can see is that it is dc only.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic