Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Lift Blues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nauti_Quad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti_Quad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Lift Blues
    Posted: March-08-2006 at 3:29pm
Does anyone have any info on what type of Boat Lift to purchase for a 99 Super Sport. The Boat weighs #3000 dry. Lift sellers have told me a #3600 will work and others have told me to purchase a #4000 at the minimum. I have researched a variety of manufactures…. Is one lift better than the other?????   A Canopy is a must but might have to come at a later date…. $$$$ are in consideration. Any help would be appreciated…       
See you at Crystal Cove - Hamilton Lake, IN
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 3:54pm
Floating lift or one that sits on the bottom?

I've only owned the floating lifts. If it were
a floating lift I would actually say 4500 lbs
min. By the time you add gas, leftover whater in the ballasts, gear, and people, you can push a 4000 lb lift into the water with a 3000lb boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2006 at 4:14pm
if you go witha lift that sits on the bottom I would spend the money and go Hydraulic! We bought one for our 88 ski and it works like a dream. Bought it used for $5,000. Now everyone on our lake is wanting one! In the long run youll be glad you spent the money.
mars
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 2:17am
Nauti,

Not sure of your situation, but I have kids that may mistakenly lift the boat when it's loaded. Gear and a few Fat Sacs will get a 3000# boat to 4000# in a heartbeat. We keep a 600# fat sac in the rear locker of a SN196 and it's easy to forget the things full of water. Not to mention lifting with a driver in the boat etc etc. Not uncommon to weight one up with 1000#'s of water. Add 2" in the bilge and it all adds up quickly.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti_Quad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 5:28am
From what I hear the #4000 lift is the way to go…. We have a nice Gravel/Sand bottom so we propose to use a lift that sits on the bottom. Does anyone have any brand names they would or wouldn’t prefer? The Marina’s at Hamilton Lake carry Shore Station, Lakeshore, and Shore Master boatlifts. Any advice would be appreciated   
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 6:05am
My sister has a shore station that she keeps her Malibu on. Seems pretty reliable. Has had it for years. Has canopy too, which is nice. Has the manual crank type lift. You said budget is a factor, its not too much work to crank it up and down, so I would say that's the way to go.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 6:09am
You also want to look at whether it is canterlevered or vertical lift. Being an inboard a vertical lift works much better and you can pull in from either end of it. They are all basicly the same just check out the quality of the hardware, cables, pulleys and so forth and get the one with the best price.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 7:17am
I have always had vertical style shorestation brand 4000lb lifts and have had great luck with them. I have the motor and canopy on mine, if you get the motor you can use 120v if you have shore power available or 12v which powers from the boat battery. If you get the canopy go with the 24ft, it's only slightly more expensive but worth it and it will cover entire boat. Keep in mind if you go with a canopy not to leave it without the boat on the lift for extended periods, my neighbor was out of town with his boat and we had a storm, the wind lifted the whole shorestation out of the water on to his dock, ouch!
I did see a Floe Brand (www.floeintl.com) at the boat show which was very cool, the feet retracted with a corkscrew and they had plastic wheels attached to the frame, easy in out just retract feet and roll it in/out.

Good luck.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 7:54am
I will also second (or third) the vertical lift shore station recommendation. I have three of them and have never had any problems with them even though they were all approx 10 years old by the time they got to me. If your really on a budget look around for used ones, my technique is usually go around the lake for sale, knock on the door and see if they are looking to sell their boat hoist. Since most people don't want to move them they can be very reasonable with the price. The last one had rotten bunks (it was configured for a pontoon so I was going to need new ones anyway) they told me if I came before the open house the next week I could have it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 9:23am
I'll third, fourth... ShoreStation. We've got a 4000lb. lift with 24ft canopy for our 88 and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 11:27am
Another trick is if you buy a used one you can get one with a lower rating #2500-#3000 and replace the cable and pulley system with the #4000 hardware. The frames are all the same it's the cables and pulley that make the difference most of the time, well until you start making big changes in the load ratings. Floe is a pretty good brand and they seem to be a little cheaper than some of the others I think Hewit is another Brand that is pretty reasonable too, Shorestation is the heavy hitter and is priced a little higher than the others. getting used one is the way I would go, easy on the pocket book and your going to have to adjust the bunks anyway, unless you get a used one already set-up for a inboard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti_Quad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 12:46pm
Thanks to all that has commented… Just purchased a 36108 aluminum shorestation for $2,500… 24’ Canopy w/canvas.   Looked in the paper and there it was…..

79nautique
It could be your neighbor… The guy is up on Wawasee on the East Shore… Pier 235… I also bought my 99 Super Sport from Wawasee Boat Company…. Also sold my Sea-doo lifts to a gentleman over on the southwest end of the lake…. Small world….
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 1:03pm
Do you have a street name or the guys name? I used to live on the southeast side of the lake right off of the sand bar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti_Quad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 9:01am
The guys name is Lyne Sickafoose......   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 10:41am
never heard of that name around the sand bar. Do you have a flat bed trailer to haul it on or are you going to try and take it a part to transport?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 11:43am
I had to move one of my shorestation's, I rented a U-Haul 6'x12' open trailer and with the feet, wheel and canopy removed it went right in the trailer on it's side, a few ropes cross corner and it was good too go. The Marina delivered one of mine on a pontoon trailer all assembled however that was only a few miles.

Good Luck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 12:18pm
the pier shops have a special made dolley to transport them it's simular to a hyd type pontoon trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic