NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    Posted: September-17-2013 at 1:44pm
Right now I'm topwing the boat with my wifes SUV.
But since I like my Jeep more, I'm thinking about adding a hitch and us it for towing...(only short rides/long trips would still be with my wifes SUV)
Problem is, the Jeep is rated for 3500lbs towing and the dry weight of the boat is 2700lbs without trailer or fuel, etc...so pushing it.
What do yo think/do?
1994 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 2:31pm
How far are you going? Do you have brakes on the trailer? A rule from long ago used to be that the tow vehicle should be the same as or more weight than the load,but this was when all you had to do to tow was add a hitch and cooler, now days everything has changed. I do know I just pulled our new to us Vdrive with a vehicle rated for 2000 lbs for 350 miles with no trouble at all. I do plan on adding a trans cooler eventually.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 3:03pm
The "dry" weight for the stock Jeep is a little over 4000lbs (I got lager tires but that added weight comes off since I take the doors of all the time)and we have breaks on the trailer .
From the storage to the lake is less than 5 miles and to the garage where I work about 40mls.
1994 Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 3:07pm
Used to tow quite a bit with my old CJ-7 and it did fine. As Gary mentioned, if the trailer has brakes that's a big plus and as you mentioned, just for short trips. If it was mine I would certainly try it. Just like driving in the snow, slow down, plan your stops and be careful. When backing down the ramp be prepared for the front tires to skid, if Jeep is an automatic maybe use 4WD low when launching possibly using forward acceleration to slow descent.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 3:27pm
Thanks you Chris and Gary for the reply!
I'll get the hitch and install it today and will try it this weekend, in 4 low (the tires are great in mud but on a wet boat ramp????)

A Wrangler with automatic...pft do they offer that
1994 Sport Nautique
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 3:51pm
I had a 1996 jeep Cherokee 6 cylinder which used to pull my 85 SN. I installed a transmission cooler and the vehicle never had an issue pulling the boat up. I typically pull 30 miles to the lake each week with a couple of trips to Lake Gaston about 2 hours away. I decided to upgrade my tow vehicle because I was not comfortable with the braking power and my boat trailer did not have surge brakes. Also it really did not handle speeds over 55 well. Don't know the weight difference between Wrangler and a Cherokee but guessing the Cherokee weighs a little more.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 5:14pm
Is that a 3.8 or a 3.6 Wrangler?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 5:41pm
There was just a thread about towing with a 4 door jeep and the comments were not good. Weak frame? Down the street is fine but definitely stay off the highway.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 5:57pm
Zach, it's the 3.6L engine.Moves quite a bit faster than my friends 3.8

Kevin, I tried a search on the forum before but cam up empty.
And I just plan to use it for a short pull from storage to the ramp.
All longer rides would be with my wifes SUV, which is rated at 7700lbs.
1994 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 6:42pm
I put this in google "towing 4 door jeep correctcraftfan" and Towing a SN2001 with a Jeep? is the first result. Exactly the thread I was thinking of.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 6:45pm
3.8 is anemic. the 3.6 will get the job done and then some. The tow rating is low for a reason. I have been known to usually vastly overload towing capacity of vehicles and have always been fine. I wouldn't be scared to tow right up to the capacity especially with the stick in it and two extra gears to work with but that will be up to you how the thing feels pulling it. I usually do some swerve tests with whatever I am towing to see how it reacts and jump on the brakes hard to test as well. If it's scary I don't mess with it but if it does well then party on.

Short rides would be just fine. Historically Wrangles weren't good at highway speeds because of the short wheel base which isn't an issue with yours being the 4 door but they rated it low for some reason or another.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 8:47pm
Kevin,

Thanks! Will use google for forum searches in the future...

Zach,
I give it a try and see what happens...the ramp is not very steep anyway.
1994 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Toertel Toertel wrote:

I give it a try and see what happens...the ramp is not very steep anyway.

The ramp is not your concern... you'll be just fine there. We towed our '88 for several years with a CJ8 (Scrambler). 4Lo and it would pull the boat up the ramp without touching the gas pedal.

The concern is braking ability and high speed emergency maneuvers... so take it slow and easy.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2013 at 11:47pm
I agree with what TRBenj says. Give yourself some room while on the road. Should be fine up and down the ramp.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 10:53am
Its funny this came up as I was just driving down the local interstate and saw a jeep pulling an I/O, it looked like it was about maxed out with the load.
Not long after that a semi came blowing by. That thing looked like a dog wagging its tail back and forth using the entire lane plus some. It took about a 1/4 mile for that thing to get settled down.
I’m guessing that guy was sweating and saying I’ll never do this again.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:12am
+1 Tim. You have to be aware of your surroundings, what you're driving,and what you're towing. Like I said I preform a lot of tests in a vehicle that I haven't towed with before especially if its approaching the maximum tow rating.

The new tires on my truck have a little softer sidewall than before which causes it to take a second longer to straighten the trailer out. I don't like this but the previous tires had crap tread wear and this is about all I could afford at the moment. Hopefully these will take the truck well over 100k miles.

I considered a Wrangler for myself but I could only afford a 3.8 version and with as much as I tow highway I thought no way can I pull that off.

Another good tip. Those tires and wheels look much larger than stock. This alone probably reduces the breaking ability quite a bit. Like Tim said stopping is more important than anything else.

Paul, I have seen guys in even more capable tow rigs with sway problems. I just don't know how someone can continue to tow right along if it is like that. Scariest one I saw was this summer. A guy with a 20ft or so Sea Ray was swaying down the highway towing with a Suburban. Full of his whole family and loaded up. That thing must have had a serious weight distribution problem.

My roommate was riding shot gun and was like what the heck. I did a fast lane change to show him how a trailer should behave. I can't help but wonder when they guy saw me with a single axle trailer truck right past him at 75 while he is swaying along that maybe he is doing something wrong?

People are weird.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2013 at 3:37pm
Thank y'all for the answers.
Wil try it this weekend. Backroads only, no highway...
If it is to shakey, I'm back to using my wifes SUV
1994 Sport Nautique
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:36pm
Worked like a charm this weekend (on the short tow to the ramp)
Thanks y'all
1994 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 7:19pm
Get it done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic