NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal cover info?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal cover info?
    Posted: March-09-2006 at 9:52pm
I just started thinking about looking for a cover for my 64 American Skier. its 16' long with about a 6' beam.

Most of the time my boat is inside a garage on the trailer, so I really never needed one in the past. But , now Im looking for something to use when we take the boat on trips.
        (read Green Lake ,etc).

What I would like is something that is both trailer-able, as well as an "overnight" cover.

I checked with a local upholstery shop, and they want between 4 and 5 hundred for a custom one. I just dont think I want to put that much into a cover that would only get used a few times a year.

My question is, Has anyone ever used a "universal" cover ? If so what brand/type? Did it "balloon" when at highway speeds? Would you recommend it, etc?

thanks for any input! 62
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2006 at 10:23pm
I had a universal cover that came with a 72 Skier that I bought a few years ago and did not like it..and it did "ballon" and it flopped around at highway speeds. This 70 Torino I have now came with a custom fit cover and when we bought it in Wisconsin and drove for 500 miles home - it was absolutely great! I was very happy with it. There was not so much as a wrinkle at 65-70 miles per hour. That's my only experience with the two different types. From here on out, its the only way I can go.
Scott
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 5:58am
I use a ski tique cover made by sundura on my 66 Mustang. It fits pretty good, the only thing is the windsheild reinforcement on the back side doesn't line up perfect. This is the only pic I have on my computer of the cover, with freezing rain from last winter.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 6:19am
$500 is cheap for a custom cover. A good cover with quality material (sunbrella) and st*tching will last for a long time. Ive never seen a universal cover that fit well, and those were just used for mooring- I wouldnt even consider towing with one. Even factory covers arent great for towing. Custom covers are much better.

My $.02
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 6:43am
Tim D,

That pic looks like me wetsanding my boat a couple of weeks ago in a 20 degree garage.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 6:54am
Steve,
I've bought two different brands recently which I've been somewhat pleased with. I've gotten some from Northern Tool made by Stearns where the 14-16' size will fit that 64 well. Plus, it's only about $110 or so. It's made from more of a polyester type material and they say it's trailerable. The other cover I've bought several of is a nice canvas one from RoadRunner, which are almost always on ebay as a SkiTique model. Check this one which is listed at $131.86+shipping, with a "buy it now" price only. These people are really nice to deal with also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Correct-Craft-Ski-Tique-1975-1981-Custom-Boat-Cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26447QQitemZ4583890519QQrdZ1

It's not as good a cover for trailering though, but if trailering any great distance I prefer to take most tops off. I just installed one of these this past weekend on a 70 Mustang which is the same hull as your 64 and it fits great. The windshield reinf is just a little too far back as these boats have the windshield further forward than the Tique, but otherwise super, and it has lots of tie-down strap material and a drawstring.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2006 at 9:20pm
Thanks for all the input so far!
I agree the 500 isnt that bad for a custom cover. I just dont think I want to put that much money into something that I'll only need 2 or 3 times a summer at most. Especially since Im not sure if Im going to keep the 'skier "long-term". (I really would like to get a mid 60s Barricuda SS sometime in the future.)

It just bothers me not to have a cover on the boat if the weather turns nasty while on a weekend trip. Otherwise the boat is always kept inside my garage. Maybe I shouldnt worry about a trailer-able cover so much?

reid, are either of those covers waterproof? Also, do you know of any chrome intake scoops to fit on the bow of my 64? ..TimD has one pictured in my post.."I need to vent" ,where he has aprox sizes shown . I want to try to install a bilge blower...

Thanks!   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2006 at 2:04pm
Steve: Hi-ya! Bought a sunbrella cover for the '80 last years from one of the boat guys (Overton's?) and was un happy even tho I bought the size that was supposed to be for my boat. Fixed the problem by takind it to a local top shop and having them put in two holes and groments (sp. One just forward of the ski pole and one just aft of the motor box. Got some of those "twist" adjustable poles to go in the holes and now it works fine. Towed all the way to Norris, no problem. Doesn't fit quite like a custom but I only have about $200 in the set-up.

85 today. Spent the day at the pool here with my splicing partner from work. Great day. Baseball yesterday and the next 2 days. Lots of cold ones also. I got some left if you're in the neighborhood.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2006 at 10:52pm
hi John,
We had a blast of heat today ourself! 72 and sunny.. Last Sunday we had 5" of snow and were riding sleds... only in the midwest...go figure...

May have to talk with you more on the twist pole thingie...hmmm, baseball, swimming pool,cold beers....sounds like life's pretty tough down there!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 8:21am
Hey 62, here's what a custom cover looks like. No balloning, no flapping in the breeze. Its the only way to go...

Scott
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 5:32am
Steve,
The two covers I mentioned are definitely waterproof but don't look quite as good as Scott's above. You can't mess with money. I've got one custom one I inherited on the 63 Classic and it fits soooo nice and tight.

I've been hunting you a front vent/scoop on ebay and around to no avail,..yet. Let me know if you've found something, meanwhile we'll all keep looking.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 6:32am
I have 4 small and 1 large air scoops like the kind on Reidp's boat if anyone can use them.
Scott
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:15am
Scott, are these the fiberglass scoops you're referring to? If so, I need a set.
Thanks.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:31am
Reid, he's refer to the small chrome scoop, like your 65 has.
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 8:07am
You have to make sure that the material is breathable on a tight fitting cover, otherwise it will trap moisture and cause mildew.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Reid, he's refer to the small chrome scoop, like your 65 has.

Yes,Fiberglass..They are covered with fabric, and one of the small scoops is broken..but repairable.
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 10:27am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

You have to make sure that the material is breathable on a tight fitting cover, otherwise it will trap moisture and cause mildew.

Yes...the one I have,has a vent built in to it.
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic