NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Rope for Rub Rail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Rope for Rub Rail
    Posted: September-21-2013 at 10:00am
Just curious if anyone's done this and who you went with for rope. I have some gelcoay damage I'm repairing under the rub rail so I figure nows a good time to update the looks a little bit.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 4:40pm
I have black rope in my rub rail. Diary #35
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 10:09pm
You have to find out what size yours is 1/2" or 5/8"
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-fibrous-cords/=oly15p
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2013 at 6:36pm
Rope or rubber profile? I got the rubber imported from planet Nautique
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Rope or rubber profile? I got the rubber imported from planet Nautique

Rubber profile
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2013 at 6:28pm
Erm.. havent a clue what I was on about regarding Planet Nautique thats a forum int it!! Must have been drinking something pretty strong at the time of posting that
I seem to recall actually buying from go2marine in the US, 1/2" rubber insert and new rub rail
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:08am
Graham
The 1/2" seems to be the norm for replacement. I bought rub rail from midwest when they were still open and it came for a 1/2" rope.

The left is original 5/8 right is the 1/2"

Bottom is 5/8 top is the 1/2"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Graham
The 1/2" seems to be the norm for replacement. I bought rub rail from midwest when they were still open and it came for a 1/2" rope.

Careful! 1/2" is in fact the replacement for the smaller rub rails CC used. Those are common on the smaller boats and 86 and earlier 2001's (I think). The larger rub rails used on the later 2001's and larger boats (like our '79 BFN) use 5/8". So there really isnt a cross the board "norm".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:46am
Tim can you get the 5/8 rub rail?
When I ordered mine I said it was for my '85 which had the 5/8 originally and I believe Woody is the one that told me this was the replacement. I was a little bummed since I had already purchased the 5/8 rope.

Maybe this would be a question for Zach.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

my '85 which had the 5/8 originally and I believe Woody is the one that told me this

I've never seen an 86 or older with the 5/8". I suppose it's possible someone could have squeezed it in though.
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 1:59pm
Sorry it's taken so long to get back on here, it's the 5/8 provided the actual rub rail comes off without breaking I just need the rope. I didn't know there was a rubber replacement for it, thats pretty interesting being as I was going with black rope to update the looks.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 2:33pm
if youre willing to splash the cash i would buy new rub rail n'all, certainly freshens up the boat

with 1/2" rubber insert
'82 Ski Tique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 8:32pm
I went to the hardware store and bought a small piece of each size rope then went home and test fit.
Worked for me.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic