NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering unit knackerd

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
d4vy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering unit knackerd
    Posted: September-23-2013 at 5:26pm
was out on the boat at the weekend and lost my steering.. to cut a long story short when we took off the steering unit which sits directly behind the wheel, the small cog had lost a good few splinds which has got caught in the grooves of the larger cog meaning the wee cog wouldnt go over it giving me a very limited amount of steering..

does anyone know if the unit is a telemark unit? or if its not who does make it.. and also if you can buy the cogs without the casing?

the small cog should have 15 splinds, the large one should have 63

thanks

thanks
d4vy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 5:32pm
I should have mentioned this post followed on from a previous topic about a broken throttle cable last week (was a very bad week!!)

the boat is a 1992 nautique 2001 model, which eveidently has cable steering.

also I live in ireland which probably hampers me a bit from getting second hand parts..

thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 5:50pm
I have a used unit that worked fine off of a 1987 Ski Nautique I could ship to you via DHL.

That is a 1989 or older boat though. That is a Big T Teleflex helm.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 5:51pm
So maybe he means 1982?
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 6:59pm
Mine went out earlier this year, Nautique parts got me fixed right up.
d4vy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 7:30pm
hmm.. when i bought the boat i was told it was early nineties.. and he thought it was a 92' how can i go about finding out when it was made??

will upload a photo if that helps!

phatsat.. what sort of money is the used unit? and u think mine is a big t tele flex helm??

thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 7:36pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 7:41pm
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 7:44pm
Ha ha Hollywood. Tim, it could be an early 88 ;).

Look at your hull identification number and the last two digits will tell you the year. IE if its an 87 it will read 87 and so on. It will be on the right rear of the boat just under the rub rail (that is if they didn't paint over it or fill it).

Check your Private Messages for the price.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 10:15pm
You should find the serial number on the stern upper right corner under the rub rail.

Wow!! Zach you got some cohunes to question Tim on the year of a CC.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 10:30pm
Yeah Zach WTF!

I'm guessing you're talking about the dash. While that carried over into 1988 on the Bfn ive yet to see a 88 SN with the earlier dash.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 10:47pm
Oh and by the way Davey move that dam gear box so we can see the rest of the picture.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2013 at 11:25pm
^^^^
Hah! Nichole Kidman, the good years?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 1:16am
I like the aluminum doghouse!

You might want to check the cable for binding - there is a reason the helm failed.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:02am
Yes, if you are buying new gear you may find that you can order a helm and cable kit for actually less $$ than just a cable. Strange but true. Lewis marine used to have these deals all the time.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
sunnysn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnysn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:45am
Chase a girl, the results experienced rival competition: I ask her to eat KFC, rival ask her to Diablo 3 Gold eat leopard; taxi I took her out to play, drive a BMW to pick her rival; I bought her a row overnight team Iphone4, ordering a rival to her online SII; I finally could not carry intend to give up, I did not expect rival has dumped her! Tragedy Tragedy ah! Worse than the people step by step how such a big part of it! !
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Yes, if you are buying new gear you may find that you can order a helm and cable kit for actually less $$ than just a cable. Strange but true. Lewis marine used to have these deals all the time.

Just went through my helm prepping for a new cable. Decided to buy the combo for less money. I could not locate any replacement parts, the manufactures web site did not offer parts. I found my cable worked great but was rusted through the housing in a few spots under the engine. Found out when I pulled the engine to do the stringers. http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Teleflex_SS137_Safe-T_QC_Steering_Systems.html
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by rapok4 rapok4 wrote:

Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Just went through my helm prepping for a new cable. Decided to buy the combo for less money. I could not locate any replacement parts, the manufactures web site did not offer parts. I found my cable worked great but was rusted through the housing in a few spots under the engine. Found out when I pulled the engine to do the stringers. http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Teleflex_SS137_Safe-T_QC_Steering_Systems.html

The price looks nice, but be aware that Teleflex's Safe-T line does not use the heavy duty pieces that the original Big-T system did. Those pieces are still available, just not cheap.

Big-T helm

The original replacement cables arent too expensive though (~$100).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 10:57am
Just giving him crap Paul .

Yea Tim!! I don't think I have seen it on a ski yet that I can pull out of my head. There is a Dominique out on the river that is an 88 that still sports the 87 dash. I see in the brochure that they talked up the "new instrument cluster" so I am sure they wanted it on the headline bread and butter boat first before the BFN. All of the BFN and Dom show the 87 dash.

There was a reverse gel 86 Mars was looking at out on craigslist a few months ago. The guy had pictures of the thing but all of the interior shots were of an 88 boat. The colors were so close I scratched my head for a little bit until I realized what was going on. The guy said they were pictures of a "friends" boat until he could get more pictures of his boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Yea Tim!! I don't think I have seen it on a ski yet that I can pull out of my head. There is a Dominique out on the river that is an 88 that still sports the 87 dash. I see in the brochure that they talked up the "new instrument cluster" so I am sure they wanted it on the headline bread and butter boat first before the BFN. All of the BFN and Dom show the 87 dash.

Yep... I figure if it made the brochure, then it was likely a full changeover before the model year started. Its pretty common to see early production configurations in the brochure since its shot so early on. Never seen a '88SN with the '87 dash... but about half the BFN/Doms still have them. Check out the '87 brochure with the ring and finger pylon- that was a mid year switch as well.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:27am
Yup, I also assume the mid year switch from that also incorporated the bigger foot glassed into the hull instead of the small foot for the pressed in style on the ring and finger pylons.

Did the bfn/dom also have the bigger foot in the hull when they switched to the ball style pylon mid 87?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:32am
By "foot", I assume you mean the "cup" glassed into the hull that the bottom of the pylon installs into?

As far as I know, the switch from the small finger to the full diameter bottom (and associated cup) came at the same time they switched topper styles. They probably decided it was more cost effective to machine a one piece pylon rather than install things on both ends with roll pins. Both 1990 model pylons I have dealt with (SN and BFN) stay full diameter all the way to the bottom.

But, we're getting a little off track.

D4vy, I responded to your post in the "parts wanted" section... I think I have a Big-T helm if you need it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:56am
Ha what thread jack? I have one too he said he had a Teleflex dealer down the road from him.
d4vy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2013 at 11:04pm

Rite guy/ladies

Need your help once again..

Got a new 'big t helm' and fitted it this evening but...

After everything was out back together again when you turn the steering wheel it feels very 'notchy'

If anyone wud know why this would occur and could share it would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic