NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2007 excalibur misfire

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2007 excalibur misfire
    Posted: October-08-2013 at 6:48pm
Boat 2007 sn 206 ex330 with around 400 hours.
Ever since the test drive Julio boat is been experiencing a slight miss, more upon take off and when cold,
like a small hiccups.
Right after he bought the boat he had it serviced, fluids changed, along with spark plugs...problem persisted, mechanic went again and said a bad cable to the dizzy was going to ground causing missfires...
Engine got better but still misses some.

Last weekend he ploughed the bow letteing lots of water, some got into the bilge.He let the boat outside.
Sunday when he went to start it again engine was full of condensation. Ran the boat and missfire were terrible...but went away once the engine got warm...

At bf speed boat perform ok but if you lift the hatch you can hear the miss...

Cables are original, so are cap and rotor...
My guess is any of these 3 things...

Thoughts?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 7:11pm
Cap and Rotor are cheap, you can use a standard automotive version, I would change cap for sure.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 7:16pm
are there risks running the engine in this condition?
like burning a piston or valve or whatever?

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 11:36am
Had some rough running issues with my Excal and the cap solved it, cap did not even look bad. Also be sure the coil/center cap wire is good, they are known to fail sooner then the other wires.

I got my cap and rotor at the local Auto Parts store, they are not marine specific.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 5:29pm
Cris

thanks for the info, anyway parts need to come from the US, so paying extra for marine isnt quite an issue...
No local auto parts store carries V8 parts...our cars are european style with the little 4bangers...
Even for my vette I need to order parts from you...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 6:55pm
They are starting that crap here too Kap. Guy's who would never have a 6 in their boat are prefectly happy to have one and pay more for one in their truck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:38pm
Gary, they had a run of bad distributor caps about that time. You can do automotive, but I prefer to buy the upgrade ones with the brass contacts. I found them at O'Reily Auto parts.
Art
"Art"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 2:40am
problem solved...
removed dist cap and it was full of rust dirt...clean it out, put it again, and now runs like a champ!
looks like it was never opened before...
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 11:11am
I'm glad to hear that it turned out to be something simple. No doubt the plug was cross-firing with another, and thus the erosion of the plug.
Art
"Art"
Andy3535 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy3535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 3:13am
I had the same problem and changed the cap and rotor arm and everything was ok for a short time and then the misfire started again... Changed the cam retardation as described in this PCM update and never had a problem since..
http://www.pleasurecraft.com/ServiceUpdate/SUP2009-01CAMRetard.pdf

Andy
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 10:43am
Andy, I think that Kapla's problem was solved back in April. If you continue to have the problem, the following might help you.

True that the cam retard setting might be the cause. Check it as described. If you don't have access to a Diacom diagnostic system, at least check your engine serial number and specification decal against the information in the bulletin he mentioned.

Once again, the distributor caps can be a problem. Try to find the one with the brass contacts, not the aluminum.

You might want to check the resistance of the spark plug wires with an ohmeter if you have one. Resistance should be between 40 ohms and 10,000 ohms per foot, depending on the type of wire you have.

Make sure that the porcelain insulators on the spark plugs are clean. Try running the engine in darkness and look for any sparks around the wires, especially around the boots at the distributor end and at the spark plug ends.

Look at the spark plug electrodes for signs of abnormal performance on one or more plugs. Change the spark plugs and see if that helps.    
"Art"
Andy3535 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy3535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 11:13am
Hi Art many thanks for your reply. I have my own Diacom Techmate and the adjustment to the Cam Retardation cured the problem,which I already wrote in my first message...

Andy
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 11:40am
Nice looking boat Andrew!
Andy3535 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy3535 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2013 at 12:14pm
Hi Many thanks,yes it is a lovely looking boat sadly here in Germany nobody wants to buy it,I have been trying to sell it for ,about six months.
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic