Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
norrisdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norrisdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition
    Posted: October-13-2013 at 12:33am
I have a 1986 Martinique with a 351 Ford engine.
I would like to change it over to electronic ignition to get away from points.
Any info on parts & installation would be helpful.

Thanks
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 12:44am
Like This
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 1:30am
no, he means the points conversion inside the original dizzy. Any reason for getting away from points?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 4:23am
Greg,
I need to ask why? There are problems with them especially with certain brands to the point where some even carry a spare in their boat. If it goes, you are dead in the water. If a point set goes, you can clean them up to get you back home or to the ramp. I went over 20 years on my point set in my 312 Y block without even looking at them. Also, there are no performance gains.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 9:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg,
I need to ask why? There are problems with them especially with certain brands to the point where some even carry a spare in their boat. If it goes, you are dead in the water. If a point set goes, you can clean them up to get you back home or to the ramp. I went over 20 years on my point set in my 312 Y block without even looking at them. Also, there are no performance gains.

Good "point"!
Js
norrisdam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norrisdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 9:38pm
It seems like once a year my boat has trouble starting or won't start and we always wind up changing the points out.
I thought going with an electronic ignition might eliminate this.
We don't put that many hours on the engine each summer but the points problem is getting old.
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 9:49pm
FWIW:

I installed a "ChevProMarine" in my 1981 Century Resorter 18', 350 CID small block, and had this to say at the time:

I would not have believed anyone describing the improvement in engine performance!
It starts on first "blip," runs much smoother, seems to have more power, has no hesitation when accelerating, idles smoothly, etc. etc.
It is possible the coil was failing, or maybe some other problem.
The old distributor was oriented incorrectly, but firing order was correct.

We installed everything "by eye" after finding #1 close to TDC. It started with NO hesitation, then Mark used his timing light and vacuum gauge to tweak it. He thinks his timing light is not working properly, but the engine is running PERFECTLY! It is amazing.

I'll trouble shoot later this week. We ran up to Grafton and back at 40 mph. It will go much faster, but 40 was very comfortable.

(Later, on a smooth lake with only me aboard and 5 gallons in the tank, the GPS said "54 mph.") The fastest speed with points distributor was 34 mph -- admittedly there could have been some some unidentified problem.)

I'm now trying to determine which system to order for my '72 CC Skier (302 Ford). It will not be a modification like PerTronix. It will be a complete and new electronic ignition system.

Any suggestions?
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:31pm
The one linked in the second post
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 11:25pm
Gary, Thanks.
I think that's what we'll get. But on closer look, I could not determine the model. (My boat is at trailer-maker's right now. I must find engine SN before ordering ignition, methinks. I'll find engine SN soon.)
-=Grant=-
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Dpower58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpower58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 12:41am
Personally, I always get rid of points when I can... and yes there is a huge performance gain along with better fuel economy. For marine use, I prefer a D.U.I. (Davis unified ignition). I put several on many vessels with no issue. Go for the marine D.U.I. HEI. It will eliminate the need for a coil and it's just a 2-3 wire hook up, depending on your application. It also has a special coating on the electronics to prevent corrosion due to moisture, giving this distributer a longer life than most. Time it in about 10 degrees Before TDC. After Installing and timing, watch your RPMs closely, the last Boat I did this to needed a bigger pitch prop because I gained 900 RPM!!! Seriously, it freaked me out. a PCM 454 that was maxed out at 35mph GPS speed at 4700 RPM with points, went over 5000RPM and kept climing, maxed at 40 mph GPS. I had to shut her down at 5500-5600 rpm. way too much for a 454.
1980 Cuddy Nautique
Dpower58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpower58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 12:46am
oh... what ever you do, DO NOT do the points to electronic conversion that fits under your original cap. not reliable, your better off putting new points in instead. and yes, the second post is the one to get and they come in more colors like yellow, black, and even clear. you can order it online at summitracing.com. they are well worth the money, trust me.
1980 Cuddy Nautique
GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 12:52am
Daniel Power:
I can certainly understand why the purists would stick with mechanical points (having built a '31 hot rod with 6 v. '32 dizzy)but I love the electronic ignition. Can you spell "fuel injection?")
-=Grant=-
( See grantmaclaren.com/souper )
-=Grant=-
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
Dpower58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpower58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 1:15am
and one more thing... LOL, my 1980 23' correct craft cuddy PCM 454 has been running around lake erie for the past two seasons on my D.U.I.. 90 gallon gas tank. I put about 150 hours every summer so far on it, running around every weekend, and I only fill up every other weekend. went perch fishing last weekend, 22 miles out northeast of kelly's island and back in one day. about 44 GPS miles and topped off tank with only 24 gallons!! and I have yet to put trim tabs on my boat.

just giving you an idea of how reliable the D.U.I. is, I haven't touched the thing since I put it in and set the timming. More about that boat in my diary.

I just bought a 1970 Mustang that's been sitting in a barn for 20 years with a chrysler 273 that the owner told me was froze up. well needless to say, $500 with a trailer, it's mine now and, Haha, I got the engine to turn over by hand... haha it just had a bad starter solinoid. put in a new one with a new battery, plugs, wires, D.U.I. distributer, carb. rebuild, new fuel lines, fuel pump, and getting fuel tank cleaned and coated. for now i put the fuel line in a 5 gal. gas tank to start it and it purrrrrs like a mad cat with 3" exhaust.

It's going to be a long winter LOL.
1980 Cuddy Nautique
Dpower58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dpower58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 1:23am
Originally posted by GMacLaren GMacLaren wrote:

Daniel Power:
I can certainly understand why the purists would stick with mechanical points (having built a '31 hot rod with 6 v. '32 dizzy)but I love the electronic ignition. Can you spell "fuel injection?")
-=Grant=-
( See grantmaclaren.com/souper )
-=Grant=-

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!!

Yeah I'm always working on something, I got a 1958 Ford Fairlane That Is totally custom with a mercrusier 302 w/ 351W heads, long tubes and a nice Eaton blower backed by a C6 trans and a 9 inch. And that’s just one of my many toys.
1980 Cuddy Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 11:58am
Im one of the biggest proponents of the DUI on this site- I have 2 boats with them installed. Performance did improve incrementally on both boats with the DUI's installed, and I love their simplicity (2 wire hook up).

That being said, I would not opt for one on an otherwise stock engine- especially on a vintage boat. They are not going to improve performance to the tune of 1000 additional RPM unless there was something seriously wrong with the unit it replaced. My nicest starting and most reliable running boat has a newer (mid 90's vintage) Prestolite screw down points dizzy installed. I replaced the points/condensor/cap/rotor when I bought the boat in 2008, and havent touched the ignition since, beyond the bi-yearly plug change. Its not far removed from EFI.

You do not need to convert to EI, or spend big bucks on a new dizzy to get a nice running and starting boat. Unless your dizzy is plain old worn out (bushings/weights/springs/etc) then simply tuning it up with a new points kit is all that you need to do. Properly setting the dwell and timing afterwards is a must. Unless other performance modifications are planned, I would pass on the DUI or high dollar Mallory options... just not worth the expense.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 12:13pm
But Tim you are an exception. Many younger members have 0 experience with points. Certain point replacements seem to be having a lot of problems lately so rather than a conversion maybe taking that money and putting it toward a dedicated complete system is a better answer for them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

But Tim you are an exception. Many younger members have 0 experience with points. Certain point replacements seem to be having a lot of problems lately so rather than a conversion maybe taking that money and putting it toward a dedicated complete system is a better answer for them.

Are you calling me old, Gary? Geez, a guy cant turn 30 around here and not get his balls busted!

The aforementioned points swap on my Skier was my very first ever. Not a big deal and seems to be holding up great! Ive had too many EI modules behave erratically or just flat out die for me to recommend them as the "set and forget" "upgrade" they are so commonly referred to as. The tried and true, CHEAP points do exactly what theyre supposed to, in my experience.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 1:00pm
I hate the bad stigma points get..... 90% of the time it's another problem. Points perform wonderfully on stock style engines. I have 620+ hours on my set with no issues at all. Only ignition problem I have had is my own dumb fault not lubricating the advance mechanism.

They don't even require a file unless they aren't used often. It's a simple system.

Tim and I are probably the biggest supporters of points on this website.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 4:19pm
Thats why I said your the exception Tim,Zach fits that catagory too Guy's like Pete and me grew up with them and like driving it was a right of passage to watch your Dad do a tune up every year. Then cdi's started to come out.They were not the most realiable and no hobbiest had a means of testing them. Now we jump in our car and don't think twice. Of all our cars since 1982 we have had 1 failure on a Mercury. Our Jeeps,3 out of 4 have had the crank position sensors go which really isn't an ignition problem.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2013 at 6:33pm
Some stuff is better than other stuff.. cdi ignitions falls under that category. In the last couple weeks I have dealt with a bad cdi module on a John deere tractor (running on one cylinder) and a bad cdi module on a 130 hp yamaha outboard (hard starting while cold. Both problems could be fixed by reflowing the solder joint on the PCB that had cracked. Much easier on the JD that wasnt potted - took ten minutes with and cost a few pennies... than on the fully potted Yamaha. The Yamaha needed an Xray machine to diagnose now will need some chemicals to soften up the potting material.. but I digress..

Point is even with something seemingly complicated like a CDI system its still the same typical failure modes like bad connections that get you, there just might be more connections to worry about..      
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic