NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

running rich at idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: running rich at idle
    Posted: October-23-2013 at 1:07pm
Ok after it warms up 1985 2001 351W. it is very smokey in the back seat . like it is running rich . compression is about 140 across the board. carb has been rebuilt since then i changed the dist. a blew out the power valve (had dist backwards) . Changed the power valve to an 8 (i think) higher than stock (2) i think . Is this my problem ?. sitting in the back at idle with kids is not fun
would a new carb help ? don't really want to throw 500$ at it .
other than that boat runs great tops out about 45mph
any ideas would be great
thanks
Dan
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2013 at 1:58pm
Is the carb mounted at an angle? If so the float level in the front bowl has to be lowered.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2013 at 2:00pm
no I do not think so it is stock . and i do not have any fuel dripping when running . but I could lower the front float if it would help.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2013 at 2:03pm
Lots of variables. Is the timing right? Did you go by the idle mixture procedure? What is the idle rpm? The power valve everyone goes with (correct if wrong) I think is a 6.5? If the vacuum isn't right the valve could be opening but you will need a gauge to check that. The number means the vacuum level that the valve will open at.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 11:56am
went back and checked idle mixture screws turn all the way in and nothing happens all the way out and no change in vaccum . Ideas ? new metering block ? PV ? dont want to start throwing parts at it . float level is about level when turned upside down
thanks
Dan
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 12:25pm
Dan, have you checked timing? Sounds as if the thing is running on the transition circuits rather than the idle circuits. This happens if say the timing is too retarded at idle and you need to open the throttle plates so much that it starts to pull fuel from the transition circuit in the barrel.

I highly doubt a vacuum leak because that tends to cause a high idle lean condition not too much fuel.

When idle circuits are working properly and there is no vacuum leak present you should be able to kill the engine easily with one idle screw closed.

Did you get a vacuum reading on the gauge?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2013 at 12:47pm
this on memory but timing is about 9-10 I advanced as much as possible before i got pinging on 87 gas.
Vacuum is about 12. I wonder if my metering block might be bent? or power valve not right ? I can screw in the idle scres tight with no effects on the engine. I think this is causing the rich idle.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2013 at 11:35am
Vacuum is wayyyyy to low. A healthy 351 at idle out of gear should be up near the 20in mark and at or above 16 or so. The normal problem with a vacuum leak is that it leans out the fuel mixture from the extra air in the system the carburetor doesn't know is there.

Could be that the power valve is blown out leaking vacuum and fuel? That seems like the most logical idea at the time. Cheap and easy to replace.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic