Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need help identifying this Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help identifying this Correct Craft
    Posted: October-25-2013 at 1:12am
Can anyone give me a possible year this boat may have been built? Type of engine? Any other items about this model? I have only seen pics of it so far and not sure if this one is worth pursuing. I'm new to the boating thing and don't want to take on a project that may be more than I bargained for! Since I started doing a little research on this craft and found this site I can definitely see how these Ski Nautique's can grow on you! Thanks in advance for any info!
J. Angel
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 7:55am
There are others that can provide model year info, but for starters, the large hull-side logos are incorrect. It is not a Ski Nautique, as you can see the dashboard plaque and the plate say Martinique.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 9:38am
Looks like '72-73 Martinique to me. Check out the brochure section here on the site.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 9:51am
Spinning a Chrysler 318 and it already has a ski pylon! Definitely a Martinique like said above. Very cool boats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Looks like '72-73 Martinique to me. Check out the brochure section here on the site.

Me too.

The pylon is newer (76+) though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 12:47pm
Looking closer I see that it has an observer style seat with a drivers bucket. Ever seen that before Tim? Most of the early MQs I have seen are bench seat with forward facing back.

Also missing the correct thermostat housing?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 1:07pm
You said you don't want a project. That boats a project. I don't know your budget, but I've seen many Correct Craft boats in better shape than that one for 4K to 7K.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2013 at 3:27pm
Brian, he said more than he bargained for ;). Gotta figure out what his bargaining budged is..

But like Brian said you can pick up very nice 2001 hull boats (Ski Nautique from 1982-1989) for the 5-7k range these days.

Do a forum search on what to buy for or buying tips and boat buyer check list. This stuff has been covered time and time again and there is a massive wealth of information on this topic saved within this web forum. I would bet that this is the best resource in the world for tips on buying a used inboard ski boat (especially vintage).
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 3:22pm
Thanks everyone for the info! No wonder I couldn't find a Ski Nautique that looked like it. I guess the previous owners(s)wanted it to "look" like something it isn't by putting incorrect logos on it and changing other items.?.?. I can get the boat for free and thought it might make a fun project. I will definitely have to spend a lot of time on this site to get me through this project if I decide to take it on!
Phatsat67, you mentioned it looks to have a Chrysler 318. I haven't been able to find that motor listed as being used? Do you think the original was changed out? Sorry for the silly questions but I am a real newbie to this!
J. Angel
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 5:11pm
More than likely original,Chryslers were very popular back in the day,
most likely came with good credit terms for Correct Craft
All they really did was to put Ski Nautique on the sides,not the first
time that has been done---

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 8:35pm
Freeeee?!!? Grab it and get to work!!
Js
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 10:55am
It's a '72 or earlier, if it was manufactured after nov 1, 1972 it would have a Hull Identification Number "CTC..." number on the transom, not a MQ serial number on the plate. Looks to be a '72.
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 11:42pm
Thanks 65! So your saying that since the plate is marked "MQ" there probably is not a number on the transom then? I had my son look for a marking on the transom but he said he didn't see anything. I will get to see the boat next week. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site and saw some info on how to check the stringers for rot. I'll post my findings and see what all of you think.
J. Angel
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by JSA1967 JSA1967 wrote:

check the stringers for rot. I'll post my findings and see what all of you think.

See what we think??? You said it's Free. Just haul it home put a few bucks into it to get it running and drive it like you stole it because you did
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2013 at 2:20am
Hard to beat FREE . I'm go'in blind reading all I can about these boats! Can't wait to see it in person next week!
J. Angel
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 12:40am
I got to see the boat and was really pumped to get it home...then I got the bad news. A family member of the person who owns the boat said they still wanted it. I was pretty bummed but I'm not going to give up yet. I have really enjoyed learning from all you at this site and hope to someday soon be a fellow Correct Craft owner. Until then I will keep reading the posts and enjoying this great forum!
J. Angel
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by JSA1967 JSA1967 wrote:

I got to see the boat and was really pumped to get it home...then I got the bad news. A family member of the person who owns the boat said they still wanted it. I was pretty bummed but I'm not going to give up yet. I have really enjoyed learning from all you at this site and hope to someday soon be a fellow Correct Craft owner. Until then I will keep reading the posts and enjoying this great forum!

I hate when that happens....
You ought to get your contact info to that person, because, likely, nothing will be done to it once they get it and see the work it needs, and the money it will take.
Js
JSA1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSA1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2013 at 1:21am
I will for sure because I don't know if they realize a raccoon or squirrel was living in it and has been tearing out the upholstery!
J. Angel
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 2:54am
So this exact boat is now in my possession. I bought it from the owner of a boat sales near Herriman, Utah. I did get it cheap and was purchased in Nov 2015. The engine coding on the block says it's an LM motor which if I am not mistaken is a reverse rotation engine? Wires on the motor were in the 18436572 firing order and when I opened up the timing cover and valve covers, I don't think this motor has ever been ran. No bluing or wear marks of any kind. I have tried both firing orders, changing timing, but have not been able to get t to fire. If anyone can help, where do I start in finding out which way this should spin regardless of numbers or starter direction? This seems to have been monkeyed with a lot and I would love to not have to pull it down to the cam to figure this out. I just got all the correct hoses, stat housing etc on it. HELP?
Rick
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 6:16am
Rick,
Congratulations on the purchase of a classic CC. Take a look in the reference section under manuals. There's a Chrysler manual that will tell you what you need.

Have you checked for spark and fuel? Considering how long it's not been run, I suggest cleaning up the point set contacts. There may be surface corrosion on them preventing the grounding of the coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:28pm
Yes, on the checks. New points and condenser, new carburetor. I'll check out the manual. I have a degree in automotive technology but haven't messed with this older stuff for decades and have never had to deal with boats, reverse rotation etc. Here we go!
Rick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:42pm
[QUOTE=rilee29] . I'll check out the manual. I have a degree in automotive technology [QUOTE]
You can't plug any diagnostic tools in to these older engines! Dig out your old timing light, the dwell meter and the VOM!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:57pm
If you're going clockwise around the dizzy from #1 that firing order is for a Chevy.
I have no idea what a RR rotation Mopar firing order is or which way the dizzy turns in that scenario but I would be really surprised if it's the same as a bowtie.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 1:22pm
Near as I can tell, the distributor always turns clockwise. I was surprised at the firing order too, but it's correct according to the manuals I've seen. It's reversed for the reverse rotation engine and same for standard rotation. Now I have to figure out if this motor has been rebuilt incorrectly or if I need a different starter.
Rick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by rilee29 rilee29 wrote:

Now I have to figure out if this motor has been rebuilt incorrectly or if I need a different starter.

Rick,
Looking at the front of the engine, a RR will turn counterclockwise.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 4:11pm
So the starter spins the motor ccw.looking at it from the front. I have a picture of the block casting. I'll try and post it. Not sure of all the number but it definitely ends in 318-2.
Rick
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

If you're going clockwise around the dizzy from #1 that firing order is for a Chevy.
I have no idea what a RR rotation Mopar firing order is or which way the dizzy turns in that scenario but I would be really surprised if it's the same as a bowtie.

It's time for your really big surprise now Eddie.

Small block Mopar firing order and cylinder numbering scheme is the same as a Chevy.

The distributor turns clockwise for both normal and reverse rotation, the same as a Chevy too

For rilee29, with the distributor cap off look at your rotor and see which way it's spinning when you're cranking the engine over. If the rotor is going clockwise you've at least got the right starter.

If it's going counterclockwise.......it ain't gonna start no matter what order you use.
It would mean you have the wrong rotation starter in there.

Edit Chrysler's LM designation is for a marine engine

Hope this helps you some

KenO
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 6:36pm
So distributor is turning clockwise. That makes the starter right. Motor is spinning ccw at front. Clockwise at the flywheel. That makes this a rr engine so the casting marks are correct. I am starting my firing order with #1 on the cap in the middle pointing at the carb. Clockwise, 12756348. Timing is 2.5 degree btdc. (A GUESS) Gap on points at .018. New points, cap, rotor, and plugs AND WIRES. Also a new carb. Checked for spark and good. Tried ether and gas and I still have nothing. ...anyone see something I'm not?
Rick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 7:00pm
Rick,
There's not much left that would prevent that engine from running except compression!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rilee29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilee29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 7:08pm
150 straight across within 1 psi. Maybe I need a heavier duty battery? I have to retard timing a bit to get it to even turn over...scratching my head for sure!
Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic