NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

72 Promo Progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Promo Progress
    Posted: November-01-2013 at 11:30am
With winter setting in I figure everyone needs something to read/pics to look at to help pass the oncoming winter blues. I've slowly been working on this Promo for about a year but have been terrible about sharing the project and any progress.

As many of you know, I purchased this 1972 National Towboat last summer with a whole lot of Tim Benjamin's help. CCFan does it again He was able to make it run really nice before I took possession at the 2012 CT mini.

We racked up close to 10 hours on the old girl that weekend towing trick skiers, retro slalom runs and a few speed runs where she ran a stout 48.1 mph. She spent the rest of the summer on Lake Diamondhead and at our Power Boat Club drawing plenty of attention. Here's a few pictures of us enjoying the CT Mini and few of our starting point. I'll continue to update this thread over the next few days in hopes of getting updated to where it sits now.

Tim Moorfoot's retro run! Wood slalom and a ski belt!

Reidp carving $ signs in Tyler Lake

PicturePat doing some of the same

In good company!

Our starting point when we got her back to IA. She certainly lived up up to her name, The Orange Peel, but not for too long!

I started with just the wheel and 3m which worked fine on the deck and above the black boot stripe. Since there was substantial patina under the stripe I put PicturePat to work wetsanding 600/800/1000. This removed most of the small surface scratches in the gel and brought the color back to match everything else. A little work with the wheel and she looks great!

The transom isn't quite done and we're planning to buff the bottom next spring when we get the boat up in the air at the club. I'll post some other progress on this boat if I get some free time today or this weekend.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 11:42am
Where'd you get those bad ass boat cradles??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 12:07pm
One of the first things I noticed too Zach,check out the Correct Craft decal on there also. The work place is nice too!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 12:31pm
Just some homemade engineering, Zach! Left over lumber, carpet and black paint with some new casters and brackets.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:00pm
Looks really nice, Chris.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:03pm
Looks awesome. Smart move on putting Picture Pat on the wetsanding, a good leader knows how to delegate! I know you're busy out there but there needs to be an Iowa weekend next year. hint, hint.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:13pm
Chris, are those 2x8s? I need to build something similar to that for the orange boat so I can finish the trailer properly. (probably should get the boat running first ha).

Alan, I have already been on Chris about that ;). My buddy I town has access to a plane maybe we can fly a 6 pass out of Indy to Mars nearest airport!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 1:20pm
I was trying to convince skutsch to buzz us over in his Cessna. I drove into Iowa half a dozen times this year, I'm over it!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 2:11pm
Did the trips to GL and Lake James in the Bounder this summer, had forgotten how much fun that is so we're up for a couple of outings next summer for sure. Especially if we get a couple extras to tag along and split gas!!! ROAD TRIP!
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 3:11pm
Chris I'm suuuuper jealous. I love those 72 promo boats. One of my first posts here years ago was about one for sale in Michigan. I can't wait to see the progress.

I also noticed the nice little cradle you built. I have to make one for my boat this winter so I can do some trailer work. Any chance you have the specs/pictures/parts list/or cost?

1999 Ski Nautique 196
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 3:53pm
That things just an old piece of junk. It doesn't even have a tower. Part it out and move on.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

That things just an old piece of junk. It doesn't even have a tower. Part it out and move on.

i see signs of a joke... can't be serious... can you?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 6:18pm
Yaaaaaayyyy, a thread to get me through the winter!!! Thanks Chris!

Keep the pictures coming... At a moderate rate ey, cause still five months before Yasmine comes out of winter storage...

Awesome boat and awesome cradle and nice shop!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 6:53pm
Schhweeeeeet!!!
'82 Ski Tique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 8:39pm
The Iowa get together sounds like fun............and close. Let us know Chris. Should I bring a baby sitter?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2013 at 9:40pm
Thanks for the positive comments, guys! I still can't believe this thing ended up in Iowa...I'm very lucky to get my hands on this one!

The boat dolly is VERY functional. I'll see if I can dig up the drawings I made and the materials we used. All stuff thats easy to come by in any home improvement store.

We got the idea from our boat club and were able to look at a dozen different designs. Some do a better job of fitting to their hull but this particular design allows us to hold a variety of boats.

Dad and I built another (pictured below) a few years back for the woody. It's going to be cut in half this winter so we should have 3 boats on dollys in the shop at a time. We made it way too long and the 3 sets of moving casters is a huge pain to move in the shop with one person.

[/IMG]

An Iowa mini sounds great to me. We still have to throw a new member party at the boat club next summer so that may be a perfect fit. Hollywood's been down there, it's a really cool place with plenty of flat water and old boats. Otherwise, our home lake is always an option. I'll just pool my ski buddies to get enough weekend passes if anyone wants to bring their own boats.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 10:08am
I got family in Perry, Iowa other than my CCFan one so I might be in for an Iowa mini. Skiing on the Des Moines river is on the bucket list so why the heck not? (Not really but it sounded good.)
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2013 at 10:45am
Promo orange is my favorite color. Nice work!
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:28pm
With PicturePat heading the charge on the hull sides I started investigating the new floor and stringers.

At some point the boat was 'renovated' to have the creature comforts of a newer ski boat. This was probably when the boat received carpet, newer style vinyl on the seats and motor box and some other updated items. It's going back to original with the yellow seat vinyl and will receive Nautolex vinyl on the floor and I've been slowly collecting original parts which I'll save for another post.

Original back seat in great shape with newer vinyl on the engine cover and front seats.

First thing we did at Tim's was to look for original orange gel on the engine cover. It's still there but needs some TLC and an Airguide gauge.

We knew the boat was solid from it's time up in CT and after using the boat the remainder of the summer. Although stringers seemed solid, we knew the floor would need to be replaced.

Since the foam was removed some time ago I was pretty confident we wouldn't be doing any major replacing. What we found were really solid primaries and secondaries with limited rot in the exhaust cavities. The PO had also removed the bulkheads and replaced a few floor supports which were done pretty well.

Closed cell foam had been cut and used to fill the stringer cavities and create the air box which was a good idea but poorly executed in regards to how they covered the foam. The glass came out with one swing of the hammer so we're going to replace with some thin ply covered with vinyl for the top of the air box. Haven't finalized how to fasten this down but I was thinking of glassing at a few blocks on the hull sides so we can screw the top down.

Air box before

Remnants of the air box

I'm going to put these two bulkheads back in to support the blower/bilge hoses, wiring and steering cable. This will also slow down whatever water does enter the bilge and keep everything organized.

The stringers were cleaned up of any delaminate glass (scored with a grinder back to a good bond) and then treated with CPES, and a few layers of cloth and mat. There was some rot around the exhaust cavity which isn't structural for the hull or floor so I cut down the top/soft portion, treated with CPES and wrapped in glass. I don't have any great photos of this yet but when I get back on the boat over the holidays I'll be sure to grab some pictures. Overall, it's very solid and will serve us well until it's re-strung in the future.

I still have a few drain holes to drill in the primaries and secondaries so water can flow freely between the cavities. After pulling everything apart, I'm thinking the best places for these will be by the rear motor mounts and under the front seats which is the lowest point in the hull.    

The new floor will be a bit thicker due to the lack of a foam sub floor underneath. Everything will be removable for future maintenance, cleaning of the bilge and the ability to change out the foam in the nose in the future.

Here's a before picture of the floor which clearly needs replaced.

And a shot from the original ad showing the grey carpet.

New floor dry fit and ready for routing, sealing and vinyl.

At this point, I have everything to finish up the floor and cosmetics inside except the floor "T" molding trim, ski pocket trim and yellow vinyl for the new seat skins and ski pockets.

I also noticed a weird clunking noise when I was working on the floor. Reid had driven the boat and thought it was shifting funny into reverse. Turns out the coupler wasn't fit to the shaft and was being held only by the set screws which had been severely hogged out. Engaging in forward was smooth as silk, but anytime reverse was engaged it would slam the set screws thus hogging them out even further. We'll fix this with a new double taper shaft and cut down the old shaft for the Avocado Queen.

Here's a video of the play in the coupler. (insert shaft jokes below)

[/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:41pm
are the seats original and they were just recovered with that grey? The back seat looks just like JMurph's so I assume that is
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 5:47pm
The port stern cushion is bacerds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:05pm
I wouldn't replace it just because of that.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:18pm
Deeno - you're right. Original bases and seat frames were re-skinned. We're going with something like this up front....

JMurph's boat...

Backseat cushions will have a zipper on the back..not the bottom. Both top and bottom will be pleated so we can flip them over if need be.

HW - Nice catch! That's from the PO's CL pictures.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:35pm
Where did jmurph get that Bud's Marina cushion?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 6:40pm
Yellow on orange is the coolest thing ever. Makes me think of candy corn haha.

That shaft moves awfully freely haha. The one in the Skylark was pretty loose and only held in by the set screws as well.

You're doing some mighty fine looking wood work there Mr. Mars.
Now go take care of that baby!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Where did jmurph get that Bud's Marina cushion?

I gave a bunch away at the White Lake Mini
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 10:37pm
I figured they had to come form you.

Chris, she's looking good. How are you going to attach the floor?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 2:27am
my favorite picture of jmurph's promo...

White Lake..2013..we borrowed the boat & jmurph let us keep it all afternoon.

My brother & I are trained & avalible for promo boat test runs.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 11:16am
Some pretty good forecasting there.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 3:44pm
Larry, nice find! Still hard to believe I'm lucky enough to own a Promo! Crazy how things work out.

Bruce, we're planning to use the same method the factory used minus the foam over glass underneath. There are floor supports at the end of each section of floor and we'll use the T-Molding between the floor panels. I believe Paul and JMurph used the ALU1029 in their promo boats.

I've poured CPES and filled all the existing holes in the stringer tops and floor supports. The plan is to pre drill new holes for the floor and use 4200 as a sealant.

Here are a few pictures of JMurph's floor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic