NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project 67 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project 67 Mustang
    Posted: November-03-2013 at 8:54pm
She has been sitting in a garage since 2000 My plans are to bring her back to original as I can.

whats missing ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 9:12pm
Yucatan yellow, nice!

That's a 67-68... What's the hull number? Looks like it originally had a dash shifter- and would have either had a side mount or foot throttle. That isn't the original carb or intake- which makes me think it may have originally been a 165hp or 190hp 2bbl motor? Missing the original Interceptor logs. Do you have the fiberglass rear seat base? I can't tell if the floor pan is lurking under the carpet. Is that motorbox covered in vinyl? That's not the original #2 trailer obviously. I have never seen those rounded scoops on a boat with the later deck like this- any evidence of them being swapped out at some point?

Looks to be in nice shape!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 9:39pm
Mid-West Correct Craft must have pushed alot of Mustangs thru those doors!
What's the plan of action Kirk? Going to get it running and see what it needs? Seems like a good one to start with.
Looks to be your new ones twin Tim!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2013 at 10:51pm
I know that there is a Foot Pedal on e-bay right now and I think that I saw a shifter lever. All are under a Correct Craft search. Also you are in luck because the Fram Filters are very popular with several folks on the site. They are making a comeback.

Great find.

Donald
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Looks like it originally had a dash shifter- and would have either had a side mount or foot throttle.

Uhhhhhh Timmy.....you're younger than me and therefore should have a better eye than I. From the below picture, the throttle on this one would be on the side. You know that chrome arm with the Cueball knob on it. You're slipping buddy!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Uhhhhhh Timmy.....you're younger than me and therefore should have a better eye than I. From the below picture, the throttle on this one would be on the side. You know that chrome arm with the Cueball knob on it. You're slipping buddy!

Tim, you have your coffee yet this morning?

Since the dash shifter is now missing, the throttle and shifting duties are presumably now being handled by a morse control, which is pictured. Tough to say what was there originally without better evidence... I have seen both set ups (foot and hand throttle) with the dash shifter.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:47am

I saw the shifter and foot pedal even before I picked the boat up. I asked if he had a sell it now price he said he wanted to let the auction run ?
hull number INZO70888029
The hull is in great shape only one crack that I could find was here

I didn't look under the carpet. For sure the engine has some mods The P O said she runs .

The piece of floor thats missing in the rear was rotted which was the start of the taking it apart to redo that was back in 2000, they bought a newer nautique so she sat. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the history the po was going to talk to the first owner . I'm hoping he has some parts laying around?
There is not a 69 Brochure in the reference ?

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:53am
For reference, the side mount throttle looks like this:

The control looks like this:

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:56am

The original seat color was white or a cream ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:58am
I have the '69 brochure (Mike Thrower scanned it and sent it to Keith but it hasnt been uploaded yet)... but it will be of no help to you since your boat is a '67 or '68.

That hull number you posted is the one issued by the state of Indiana... the hull number I want to see is the one that CC issued. It will be in one of 2 places- either on the USCG plate just forward of the throttle, or on an aluminum piece screwed to the top of the stringer in the engine compartment. It will read M-XXXX.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 9:59am
Keith never put the 69 brochure up. Does not matter though you have a boat no newer than 68. Is the aluminum tag off the port stringer next to the engine? The serial number should start with a M followed by 4 numbers. 68 brochure is the same anyway,they just reused it. Rudder has been changed too,Lilly pad would have been on when new.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:01am
I bet it's a 67 and at one time had a foot pedal. Nice, pretty much original boat! I saw a speedometer like that for the first time in the orange Cuda we picked up in September. I put it on ebay and it didn't sell. I found out later from Phil that it was the early 60's type that went in the 1st gen Nautiques. I'm glad it didn't sell! Great find!

Edit, I see it's got the newer pylon, so maybe an early 68?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:01am
Those seats are from the mid 70's... its not uncommon to see them in a boat of that era, as the originals sat on plywood frames that were prone to rot. The vast majority of interiors that I have seen from '67-69 were monotone cream (all seats and side panels). It wasnt until late '69 or '70 that they started mixing in some color.

Gary is right about the rudder- lillipad would have been original. The 27A was first used in '70 and is a slight performance upgrade (though you'd have to get the boat above 50 to notice). Might want to trim the port flush with the bottom of the boat though.

Original pylon and you have the back seat base, nice! Most '67's Ive seen were still using the stepped pylon like this one... my bet is that the boat is a '68.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:05am
I took that number off the bill of sale. The boat is at my dads an hour away.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:09am
The engine cover usually matched the seat color ? I wounder why they covered it ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:17am
The engine cover would have been gelcoated. It may have been white, cream or matched the boat (yucatan). It looks like someone attempted to "modernize" the boat by adding carpet and redoing the interior in brown. CC started covering all motorboxes in vinyl around '77 or '78. I think the gelcoat boxes are way cooler though!

Ripping that carpet out and pulling the vinyl off the motorbox would be the first things on my list- just to satisfy my curiousity! If youre missing that removable panel in the back, then that will be tough to find- but it will be interesting to see if the rest of the floor pain is intact.
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:21am
Very nice! Congrats! The fiberglass really appears to be in great shape! I notice your fresh water pick up is much further aft on the hull compared to my American Skier. Also I'm wondering how much the fin adds to handling? Mine doesn't have one
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:22am
Weren't the panels in the floor pans wider behind the motor box than what is showing?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 10:30am
Bruce, good catch- yes those panels were as wide as the exhaust outlets. So the floor pan is probably long gone.

CB, there is no fin on this boat that I can see- CC never put them on first gen Mustangs. I believe the first time they were added to the 16' boats was in 1976 when the Ski Tique came out. What youre probably seeing is the shark-fin shaped Airguide speedo pick up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:00am
Since I happen to have both years here at this time,I took some
pictures of the differences between 68 and 69

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:05am
Serial number location first one is below oil cooler on this one

All are in front of rear motor mount

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:12am
Good older picture of how my back panel is in. Panel has different
cutouts for 3" Holman Moody exhaust. This panel was from a standard
exhaust boat and was cut out to match an original but bad shape one
from John b's HM SS

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:30am
Sorry to hijack but Gary, how is the base plywood of that seat attached to the fascia? I was thinking of using aluminukm angle and through bolting.

To the OP, you are missing the spacer in between your rudder and pitman arm. Just thought i would point that out
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 11:33am
Good visuals, Gary. Scoop placement and light style are 2 differences between '68 and '69- the others I can think of are the gauge cluster and seats.

Dont forget that the pan had to be notched for all 3" exhaust boats, not just the H-M's. Chryslers got the larger outlets as well.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Sorry to hijack but Gary, how is the base plywood of that seat attached to the fascia? I was thinking of using aluminukm angle and through bolting.

To the OP, you are missing the spacer in between your rudder and pitman arm. Just thought i would point that out

He has the spacer Jim it's just put together wrong,the PO has it on first so it's down at the rudder end!

As to the mounting are you refering to the seat back? There is a screw mounted in the center of the boat in the gunnel face. Then there is a keyhole plate mounted to the seat back like the upper left of the pic below. The back just hangs on that. The seat bottom frame screws down to the floor thru the 1 x 1/2 cross piece at the rear bottom then 2 horizontal screws go thru the larger dark colored cross pieces into the bottom of the seat back pulling it tight to the bottom framework. The seat bottom just sits there so you can lift it up and use the framework for storage

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He has the spacer Jim it's just put together wrong,the PO has it on first so it's down at the rudder end!

Haha didnt see that, nice that he still has the part.

I was talking about the seat base, where the cross members mount to the front board covered in vinyl.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 12:43pm
Kirk,
Are you done re-storing your 89 yet?

Hey- What turned or helped your decision in getting the Mustang?

Nice Find by the way!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2013 at 1:13pm
Jim they only used wood screws real crude. For some reason this wood one was used where normally 'glass pans were used. I have seen the exact wood frame used in wood Correct Crafts,not sure why mine has one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2013 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good older picture of how my back panel is in. Panel has different
cutouts for 3" Holman Moody exhaust. This panel was from a standard
exhaust boat and was cut out to match an original but bad shape one
from John b's HM SS

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the H/M panel having a cut out for the exhausts. Here is the one from my 70.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 3:24pm
Well a lot has happened since I picked her up, I had to put things on the back burner. She came came with a non cc trailer, with the help of (62wood) I was able to get a period correct trailer.
So I had to switch trailers and where I would normally drop it in the water the water was frozen. I took it to my local marina and I used their hoist. With new tires and recent bearings I dragged it to it's new home.
Plans are to tear it down new stringers, repair the gel as needed, and a engine overhaul
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic