NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing with No Antifreeze -- Drain Only

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Ah yes, Winter will be here soon.

Correction... Winter is here!!!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2013 at 4:31pm
Oh snap Paul!!! We had a light dusting today but nothing to take pictures of. Enough to make me go start the truck while I took a shower ha.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Ah yes, noting says fall like a good ole to add the Antifreeze or not debate. I also love the should I pour or suck the Antifreeze into the engine debate. Next will be the do I change the oil now or wait till spring debate. Winter will be here soon.

Yup. I always change oil in the Fall. Except when I don't. This year the boy and I ran out of time, so it'll be next Spring. Maybe I won't even cover the old tubs this winter.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2013 at 9:47pm
I lol'd

We used to suck up (no drain)
Then drained and poured
Now I just drain

Anyone who has seen Mike's things knows his level of maintenance is second to none. Can't go wrong following his practices.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 1:20am
Kevin, Zach & Tim, thanks for the heads up on the threads being sensitive to rusting. We wiped them all out with a rag today, coated all five drain plug threads with anti-seize and reinstalled all the drain plugs. I probably didn't need to use the high-temp anti-seize, but I've always liked that copper stuff. We left the hoses disconnected.

Steve
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 12:48pm
I felt the need to chime in on this. I'm new to Correct Crafts, but not to boating. I have a boat rental, storage and winterizing business in Wisconsin(Green Lake actually, so hopefully I'll meet some of you this summer).
I have worked at marinas that run the boats in tanks until the t-stat opens, then run it some more. Then test with refractometer. Then spend a bunch of time draining the tank because it becomes diluted after about 50 boats. It takes a long time to get these boats up to temp long enough to circulate the antifreeze. After settling the boats would then be retested with a refractometer, and some would then head back to the tank. It was so tedious that I gave up on the idea.
I learned from some great mechanics that most of this was unnecessary. I drain block plugs(probe them), manifolds, raw water pump hoses, and the J hose.       Then hook the bottom of J hose back up and undo the top. Pour RV/Marine antifreeze in there until pink comes out of the block drains. Manifolds are self draining, just make sure that the boat is bow up if they drain to the rear, and vice versa. I do about 50 boats per year, and have been doing it for 10 years with no problems. Also, I am a certified Mercruiser technician, and most Mercruiser owners manuals will tell you to simply drain.
The bottom line is you can't freeze what isn't there. I wouldn't completely fill an engine with -50 antifreeze, at least not in my area. I use it to displace the small amount of water left in the block. With just a little antifreeze it may reach its slush point and expand, but it will have plenty of room to expand without causing damage. The average v8 will take maybe a half gallon. I've heard of engines freezing that were filled with -50 during a very cold winter years ago.
tommy54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 12:53pm
Sorry about the one long paragraph, it didn't look that way when I typed it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 2:14pm
The antifreeze we use is diluteable. If you use RV-50 or the -100 stuff it wont get you anywhere. We had a supplier issue on the -200 stuff and it took 3 to 4 times more of the 100 to get the mixture to -50 coming from the exhaust. Generally after the process has started and the pit is mixed up it only takes 1-1.5 gallons per boat.

I am with you. If nothing is inside there is nothing to freeze. Nuf said.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 1:26am
Originally posted by tommy54 tommy54 wrote:

I have a boat rental, storage and winterizing business in Wisconsin(Green Lake actually, so hopefully I'll meet some of you this summer). .

I am hearing that the Green Lake Reunion will be every other summer. However, there may be a smaller event at GL this coming summer.

FYI,

Donald
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2013 at 10:40pm
Did mine today.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2013 at 10:03am
Posted that from iPad. Sorry for the upside down pic.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2013 at 11:00am
I was thinking you had a new way to get the water out?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2013 at 12:46pm
Yea, just hang it upside down and shake all the water out
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2013 at 12:49pm
Let's see if this works
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 8:55pm
Hello, I found your post after searching on freeze plugs...I did drained the engine but not good enough. the rear, driver's side freeze plug was in the bilge - as you described....my question is, what are the chances that I have destroyed my engine by not being careful and how do I test for this, just start it up? any input is appreciated, thanks, Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:18pm
First off they are not freeze plugs they are casting plugs used to plug the holes from the casting process. They just happen to pop out when you freeze your block real good.
The chances are very good that you have internal damage to the block. I would start by draining the oil and check for water. Not sure water will show up since most was drained.
So without getting into leak down tests and the likes I guess the easiest way would be to refill the oil and start it up check the oil right away if no sign of water bring it up to temp then check oil again. Oh yea keep your fingers crossed through out the process.
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:24pm
Hey, thanks for the quick response. I understand they aren't freeze plugs by design. The dumb thing is I took my time and drained the block and manifolds. The drivers side plug is forward, and higher than the lowest point...allowing for water to stay trapped. I don't see any cracking on the outside of the block, or anything obvious through the casting hole - which isnt much anyway. Currently there is no water in the oil from looking at the dipstick, I will drain it and check better - I had changed that before storing. I will keep my fingers crossed if I can straighten them out from the fist I made to punch myself in the face for being an idiot...
Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:56pm
A lot of times it won't show up on the dip stick because first off the blocks not full second the water will be at the bottom of the oil pan.
The cracks won't be on the outside they will be on the inside between the cylinders where the water jacket is. They start in the water jacket and spread to the head bolt hole and the cylinder. That's why sometimes they don't show until the motor is at temp and the crack into the cylinder spreads.
Good luck.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:40pm
Doug,
Next time suggestions would be to lower the bow for the starboard draining and then don't forget to probe the drain with a piece of wire for debris.

Good luck. I too hope it turns out fine for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:50pm
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. So I guess I didn't miss a drain, not that it matters. I am going to drink a beer or two. The thought of messing something this simple up and ending up with such potentially catastrophic results is super disappointing. Thank you.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:19am
Well you aren't the only one to miss something. I am pretty sure I forgot to blow out my speedometer lines last fall. I am hoping I don't have any issues from that.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:35am
For what it may be worth:

When we first looked at our Southwind, we hooked up a fake-a-lake and fired it up for a minute. Fake-a-lakes are a bit dubious, but sounded good and so bought it. Dragged it to our lake, submerged the trailer, fired it up and discovered a freeze plug had popped and was gushing water. Replaced freeze plug (changed oil of course) and have had no evidence of water in oil, and has since run just great for over three years.

We live in GA and bought it in SC, but it started life in Indiana.
Granted, not as harsh as where you may be, but it still freezes here in Dixie...

So, not always necessarily a catastrophe. Or maybe I'm just lucky...

Also no mention of your year or model, but mine is having it's 40th birthday this year...takes a licking and keeps on ticking
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 10:32am
This is why I always add antifreeze. There is no way to guaranty all the water is out unless you turn it upside down. 20 dollars of antifreeze and an extra 5 minutes is a small price to pay for insurance. I hope you got lucky and all is well.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

mine is having it's 40th birthday this year...takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Mine is 26yrs young this month..... Of course it's still ticking...It's a Correct Craft!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 7:11pm
Well thanks for the encouraging words. I have a 1984 2001. Last summer was the best skiing of my life. The boat is a blast but needs work. I am still hoping to be in the water soon. A cracked block will change that all. I am in New Hampshire. it was a very cold winter here, getting to zero several times. Nothing like those folks who live in Wisconsin experience.
This is a great forum, the feedback is awesome.

Doug
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by dpkumph dpkumph wrote:

I am in New Hampshire. it was a very cold winter here, getting to zero several times. Nothing like those folks who live in Wisconsin experience.

Doug

Doug,
What part of Wisconsin are you talking about? You only got down to zero!?? How about -25 New years day 2014. Very common. I remember -35 (NO WIND CHILL) back in my younger years. You guys in NH must be smoking something to cloud your minds! BTW at zero, in northern Wisconsin, you will still see people in shorts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 10:35am
I was generalizing...I know that the northern midwest is the real polar vortex...people in new england think that it gets cold here, but nothing like out there. I am hoping that this sheds a positive light on the drama of me being an idiot. In other words, perhaps the fact that it "really doesn't get that cold here" may play to my benefit of the block not really freezing too much...I am an optimist. The boat is an hour away and I need to get to it this week to end this guessing game.
Doug
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 2:07am
Let us know what you find.
dpkumph View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpkumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 8:33am
Hello again to those of you who chimed in. Looks like I am good to go. I put the freeze plug back in, other plugs, hoses, etc. Started it up, ran it for a minute or so. Checked the oil - good. Started it again, warmed it up to temp - oil still looks like new, no signs of water. I will keep an eye on it as I run it. Thanks again for all the help. Now on to the floor repair so I can ski, which is why I bought this boat.

Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 4:52am
Glad to hear it, Doug! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic