Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB used gear, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB used gear, need advice
    Posted: March-17-2006 at 7:42am
Ok, summer is almost here! I would like to buy a wakeboard, kneeboard and some training skis for the kids. Anyone have anything for sale,please let me know.
the questions are about the boards. Both my brother and I will be riding them.
we are both pushing 6' tall, he is around 185 and me an even 200 (but that seems to change slightly on a daily basis!
I am under the impression that rider height and weight is a factor in selection/performance/ridabiltiy? We are both beginning boarders but learn fast and dont want to out ride the boards by the end of summer. Any advice/experience shared would be appreciated. Thanks!
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 7:56am
I don't really have a suggestion on Brand/Model of wakeboard. The length of board you'll need varies somewhat by board mfg. but you'll probably want something in the `139-142cm range.

I am around 6' 190lb and currently have a 2004 CWB SOL 139 w/ Mobe bindings. It's a good beginner board and I've been happy with it but I decided to upgrade. The SOL will now be board that everyone else gets to use. In the mail I now have a 2005 Hyperlite Murray 142 DNA that I picked up on ebay.

I've recently found some good deals on new left over 2005 model stuff on ebay. For example MSRP on the board I got was $570 and I got it for $227. The outfit cut me a good deal on bindings too.

You may want to check out http://www.wakeworld.com they have reviews on about every board and binding from '04-'06 so you should be able to get a good feel of what peoples opinions are.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:07am
I think e-bay is the way to go, I got my boy a hyperlite board that way, brand new still in the srink wrap for half the price as Bart's had it for and used a buy it now option so no need to try and outbid someone.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:10am
Trike,

138-142 will suit both you. I hope one of you is not goofy, and the other regular. A real pain to switch back and forth.

Some good online sources for clearance and discount boards and bindings.

evogear.com
grizzly-sports.com
bertsworks.com
uswakesupply.com
wakegiant.com
the-house.com
boardco.com
munsonski.com
midwestmastercraft.com
rdcboardshop.com

There are many more. If you find a particular model you are looking for, let me know. I tend to look over a lot of sites, and might come across a good deal. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:31am
A few more, all with '05 stuff discounted

boardstop.com
buywake.com
wakeside.com
the-house.com/wakeshop.html

I agree w/everyone else on the size. My personal reccomendation on boards is not to try to get that perfect board right out of the shoot. Just get something that you can afford so you can get out on the water and start getting a feel. Once you've ridden for a bit then you'll start to know what you want and don't want in a board. Then you can demo boards from your local shops and find the best board for your riding style.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 10:18am
Another good place to watch is the good ol garage sales...I was driving by one last fall and saw skis leaning up against the fence. Ended up buying two pair of 'glass combos, A pr of old C.G. wooden tricks, and a pair of kids trainers fo 20 bucks. Just cant be too fussy on brands. Wasnt the "latest" stuff ,etc, but a cheap way to get some misc equipment!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 10:20am
how about an obrien ambush 143 new for $141?
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 10:38am
You can find some used equipment at:
www.SKI-IT-AGAIN.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 11:24am
Originally posted by trikeaholic trikeaholic wrote:

how about an obrien ambush 143 new for $141?

I have not ridden this board but have read some reviews, etc. The ambush is a true beginner board. For 140 bucks, I think you can get a more intermediate board. The-house.com sells the ambush for 139.99. Apparently the board is often sold with the "Base" bindings, which no one seems to like. If you do go with this board, I'd say get a better binding.

Just my personal opinion, but I would think the CWB Sol, or the Hyperlite motive would be better board choices for around the same money. I found the CWB Sol with the Mobe adjustible binding yesterday for $199.
http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/proddetl.aspx?ID=720&CatID=13&SubID=101&pg=0

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 11:30am
Trike,

If you want the Ambush, DJs has them on Ebay
for $99 buy it now price plus 19.95 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Obrien-Ambush-143cm-Wakeboard-Wake-Board_W0QQitemZ7227272692QQcategoryZ47363QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 11:35am
Munsonski.com has the trainer skis for the kids, including the rope for 79.99. BKH
Livin' the Dream

AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 12:11pm
grizzly-sports.com is where I got my board and bindings (reference post above), although it was through ebay. They Buy-It-Now pricing they have on ebay is better than what they show on their website.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 1:19pm
Just got this nice obrien for my daughter off ebay for 22.40 plus 20 shipping.

Very pleased with that deal. Couple years ago, got one of those old hydroslide kneeboards everyone had for $40. Tried and tried for a wakeboard for my son last year. Finally got a previous year model CWB with very good bindings new from a local shop for $130, well under half price. Couldn't beat that. Me, I'm still skiing on a ski about as old as my boat. But hey it works. Just havent found a good deal yet. I'm not so into it that I can drop retail on a new good ski.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic