Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Correct Craft artwork

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Correct Craft artwork
    Posted: March-17-2006 at 9:24am
Hoping someone might have artwork which I can scan. If I can get the artwork I would scan and set up and offer the decals for sale.
I have just about completed the artwork for a 1985 2001 if anyone is interested.
The only funny thing is on some boats the Ski Nautique on the drivers side slants forward and on some it slants backwards, I'm looking for the one that slants backwards.
Thanks
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 9:44am
It's already scanned on this site for '86 Nautiques. The below link will lead you to all the information. Just scroll through the thread. Good luck to you. If you can reproduce graphics, you'll attract many customers. Not sure about the copyright part of it. Maybe someone else on this site knows the legal side to this. I know there's a Trademark on my '86 graphics. Does anyone have the answer?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1925&KW=letters
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 12:53pm
If Correct Craft finds out that you're doing that, they won't be happy at all.
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 1:41pm
I agree.. I think you would be infringing just a lil bit !!!!

Moj
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 2:31pm
Oleeoson,

There you go. That's what I thought. You can repair graphics but not duplicate exactly and sell. Maybe your next step should be a call to Correct Craft Inc. for more information.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 4:44pm

Life is short....live it.

Life is Good.
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 7:10am
Thanks for the input everyone. Perhaps I will pursue this with Correct Craft, as they apparently don't have any decals available.
My customer who is repairinfg a boat tried to obtain them from CC but couldn't.
Thanks for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 7:53am
Let us know if CC will allow it. Good Luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 5:19pm
who cares about correct craft, what did correct craft do for you this year?.get money, make the damn things!
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:10pm
    Wonder where CC does not sell them anymore if that changes things?? I certainly can see a major issue if they were still available from CC where it would be a direct conflict. On the opposite side, why would CC want their older boats looking good?? You might not buy new???
                             Jeff.....
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:32pm
I would be willing to bet that no one has stepped up to the plate and had a real plan to reproduce the graphics in a manner that Correct Craft would feel comfortable knowing that there brand was being represented in the best interest of their company.

Has anyone ever gone to the effort to gather all the graphics from all the boats and years, set up a point of sale and presented it to CC? I would think if they did and CC was comfortable with the vendor that all CC would want is a royalty from sales.

You have to consider also why would a company with CC's heritage want to let their reputation ride on any source outside of their control for a few bucks on some graphics. They are after all in the boat building business and want to sell new boats.

As for copyright, in my business I supply embroidered clothing and I can not put anything onto a shirt that is copyrighted/trademarked like a Camaro or other car without infringing on a copyright BUT I can put a corvette on my own shirt and wear it around. The difference is if I am selling it and making a profit.

So I say fix your own boats up and don't worry about it. I though about offering graphics for these oldies but believe me it's not worth the hassle.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 10:31pm
If anyone is serious about a business venture, Correct Craft would probably allow it for a reasonable royalty. I'm betting CC is easier to deal with than GM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 8:16am
Again, worth a call to Correct Craft. They're a business with a goal to satisfy new and old customers. Amazing how CC switched back to their classic font in 2006. If reproducing graphics becomes a big business, I'd be willing to bet CC would have a problem with it. If they got a piece of the pie, they'll probably approve it. It's a piece of mind, especially if the $$$ start rolling in. It would be great if somebody could mass-produce older CC graphics.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 5:40pm
theres always the backdoor route......you can produce them for "friends" and "family", and maybe they can give you a nice"donation".correct craft gets no royalties!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 5:49pm
Ryan,

If you're just making a few bucks on the side helping a few friends I don't think anyone is gonna make a case about it. If you we're to set up a bonafide business you need business partners that will support and promote your plan or you'll never succeed. You can't sneek around a corporation like CC and expect to get away with it forever. There's nothing worse than seeing the sheriff at the door with a cease and decist order or divorce papers, I've had both and it's no fun. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

I'm not preaching to you, but to really make it work you have to do it right.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Oleeolson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oleeolson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 9:53am
Update,
I have spoken to CC about this, I didn't get to far yet as they have just moved and the women I spoke with is leaving at the end of the week.
She said someone would get back to me, but don't hold my breath. In speaking with them I don't think they realize you can't order decals prior to 1989 from the dealers - I tried.
So we will see where it leads.
Someone else mentioned the earlier graphics might not be copyrighted or it may be expired.
Thanks for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2006 at 10:12am
Good luck, keep us posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic