NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery Boat
    Posted: March-17-2006 at 3:52pm
I hope it is OK to post this here. We do this mystery boat thing on other boards and people seem to enjoy it. I am no longer looking for a Correct Craft because I just bought this boat. I kicked a few CC trailer tires, but ended up buying this, even though it wasnt for sale. I knocked on the owners door and made an offer. It needs a little work, but it is 100% original. Thought some of you older boat fans might enjoy looking. Any one know what it is?

Please disregard the name, I had just bought the boat and I didnt have a chance to take it off yet.
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 4:04pm
Don't know who built it,But I will guess it was built in 1969-70. Good looking boat,windsheild. It Looks like a Formula.
Congrats. on the new boat.I know you been looking awhile.
Scott
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 4:38pm
Donzi?

....bad luck to change the name of a boat (even if it is cheesy)
Life is Good.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 5:16pm
Year is right. 1969. Not a Donzi though, but close.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 5:35pm
James
Are you saying, it's not a Formula?
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 6:32pm
Not a Formula. It has a 327 Chev V8 in it. Engine Pic should give it away. Look closely. This is hull number 39 of only 86 made. It is pretty rare. But it built by a well known boat builder.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 6:42pm
Chris Craft or Cobalt Then....It's a Chris Craft
Scott
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 6:53pm
I'm with Scott.
Between the windshield, and the motor I think it's a Chris Craft.
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:27pm
Chris Craft Commander Super Sport.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:38pm

That was fun! Let us do it again. I got this one in Texas.Very rare. Hint: 455 Olds, Berkley jet drive.
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Mercrewser Mercrewser wrote:

Chris Craft Commander Super Sport.

That's going to be a beauty! Is that a v-drive? http://www.antiqueboat.com/boatforsale.html
check out the prices on these Chris Crafts. Look at "Classic Glass" Section.
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 8:36am
You stumped me Scott! Yes mine is a v-drive. Paragon pv31, 1 to 1 ratio. Any more hints?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 8:37am
Mercruiser,

I don't find any reference to Commanders that size in any of my Criss Craft books. Looks to me that Commander was the new fiberglass line of boats and most were very large cruisers. Is it possible that it's from the Lancer Line of CC glass boats. That seems to be the brand for their smaller sport boats. They made a 17 and a 19 foot Lancer in 69 and one power option was the 230 hp v8. What is the length of yours?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Mercrewser Mercrewser wrote:

You stumped me Scott! Yes mine is a v-drive. Paragon pv31, 1 to 1 ratio. Any more hints?

President of the Co. was world record holder, Ken Baker.He designed two high performance hulls:Famous V bottom and Tunnel. Built in California.
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 9:10am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Mercruiser,

I don't find any reference to Commanders that size in any of my Criss Craft books. Looks to me that Commander was the new fiberglass line of boats and most were very large cruisers. Is it possible that it's from the Lancer Line of CC glass boats. That seems to be the brand for their smaller sport boats. They made a 17 and a 19 foot Lancer in 69 and one power option was the 230 hp v8. What is the length of yours?

Looks more like the XK19. Because the hull and windsheild look the same.
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 2:11pm
In 1969, they called this the Commander SS. It is 19 ft long. 86 built with a v-drive and 15 with a I/O. The hull number had a FRAV prefix in the Chris Craft books. In 1970, they called it the XK 19. They only built 276 XK 19s till 1974. I think ORZ was the prefix for XKs. Same hull with subtle differences. Almost all XKs had I/O power. It is different than a Lancer, but both were designed by Jim Wynne.

Scott, I'm still stumped
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 2:14pm
Scott, Sidewinder?
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 6:27pm
that orange boat is FUGLY!

Looks like something austin powers would drive.

RIP
Life is Good.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 6:28pm
You cheatin dog! Did you get that off my file name??? Next time Im going to have to do that different....I'll get you next time!

What wasn't on the file name was the year? Any guesses? Here's a hint...only 30 original hours!
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

that orange boat is FUGLY!

Looks like something austin powers would drive.

RIP

Your mamma probably cleaned this color out of your diapers when this boat was new!
Scott
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 6:46pm
Now 82 - calling another man's boat Fugly
is like calling his wife Fugly. Just not a good idea.

Scott, I'll bet that orange boat has a "great personality."    BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2006 at 6:55pm
I knew someone was going to jump to my defense! That was harsh, but I'll pull through...I didnt want to mention that I sold my house and first born son to have that boat but with some more therapy I should be ok! So I guess I better not mention I have matching clothes to wear for when I take it out!

Thanks Brian! I knew I could count on you...
Scott
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2006 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

So I guess I better not mention I have matching clothes to wear for when I take it out!

A orange speedo???

I couldnt pass this one up..

Jeff...
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2006 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by JEFF KOSTIS JEFF KOSTIS wrote:

Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

So I guess I better not mention I have matching clothes to wear for when I take it out!

A orange speedo???

I couldnt pass this one up..

Jeff...

Orange speedo,and water shoes
Scott
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 6:14am
The Sidewinder should have been an easy guess due to the unique/patented high back/windshield design, should have been if it wasn't copied by so many others. My outboard skiboat is a Tahiti, one of the big sidewinder clones, they weren't shy about copying either it takes a real expert and a close look to tell the difference without the badges.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 6:36am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The Sidewinder should have been an easy guess due to the unique/patented high back/windshield design, should have been if it wasn't copied by so many others. My outboard skiboat is a Tahiti, one of the big sidewinder clones, they weren't shy about copying either it takes a real expert and a close look to tell the difference without the badges.   

Good job! I don't know many people, that have even heard the name Sidewinder. And no one that knows they were copied by so many other boat builders.
Scott
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 7:08am
Of course maybe there weren't have been so many copies made if sidewinder was so predesposed to produce such awesome hull designs with such fugly colors, the orange hull is much more to my taste than the not quite emerald greens and almost peanut butter browns of the sidewinders that I have seen over the last ten years. Can't say enough about the hull design though, fast, turns on rails and takes on water much larger boats would be turned back by, only problem with the hull on the outboard versions is the propensity to sink if left tied to the dock overnight with the stern to weather (was that two or three times that boat has sank on me now?). I am sure the jetdrive versions don't share that issue since there is not a big goofy outboard hanging off the transom making the stern sink and bow rise. The only jetboats I have ever owned I kept just long enough to rebuild the engine and sell, seemed like if the old guys I was buying them from kept blowing engines there was no way I wasn't going to do something stupid and blow one up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 7:43am
Mercrewser..

Check out this site:
www.forestportboatco.com
I almost bought a XK19 Chris Craft from them. I couldn't get them down from the $35,000 price tag though.. They have one pictured on the site they were building for Alan Jackson.. They rebuild them from the hull up.. Pics on the site of a lot of these boats. They might be of assistance to you..

Moj
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:00am
James
I forgot to ask you the other day, what your plans were for your new CC. Total restore,or clean and buff it and enjoy?

Joe
I got that Sidewinder about a year ago, and haven't taken it out yet. The only jet drive I have driven was a Glastron cvx20..real fast. When you eased off the throttle, water washed over the stern and flooded the cockpit.A real cool looking boat ,but not very practical.
Scott
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:27am
Scott,
I would recommend getting some sort of rev limiter before really enjoying that boat, it doesn't take much cavitation to let one of those big blocks really rev up, like I alluded to before most big block jet boats I have seen for sale over the years are needing rebuild, or just rebuilt very few are around that are original engine high hours boats.   Glastron/Carlsons have been big on my lake forever so I have owned/driven a few, typically they are best left to small lakes although some of the Carlson versions were made well enough and some were downright fast. As for stopping too quick and drenching the back seat, most any of the 4 seat sportboat type outboards I have owned including my current Tahiti are very prone to that type of behavior, so in fact is my mustang if you have people in the back seat. I am hoping once I get the old foam and stringers out it becomes slightly less prone to swamping (front and back) but we put a lot of people into it so I am not holding my breath. I doubt its ever going to be a completely dry boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic