Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:28am
Sorry to offend. Thought you were playing trivia, not showing off your own rig. Should have read a bit closer....(wasn't really talking about the color though)

BKH- thanks for chiming in- you're always right. sorry for thinking outloud
Life is Good.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 8:38am
Originally posted by 82tique 82tique wrote:

BKH- thanks for chiming in- you're always right. sorry for thinking outloud

A nice thought, but if I had a dollar for every time I've stuck my foot in my mouth . . . well, you know. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 9:42am
Brian; You are the conscience of the site. We all need ya man!

john

PS; plus our trivia expert. How's the back, BTW?
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 9:54am
Another nice thought, but this site has great concience on its own.

Threadjack I know. Thanks for asking John. Back is doing great. 6 days of snow skiing in the last two weeks with no problems. Pulled the boat out of the water this weekend for fluid changes and new impeller. Now, if it will ever stop raining here in CA looking forward to giving the back a try out on the water. BKH
Livin' the Dream

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 11:10am
It took awhile and some research before I bought it..That boat has to, shall we say..grow on you. I knew when I got it, I was going to take some ribbing. And I also knew,it was one of a kind, and in new cond.
So... I can take anything dished out to me,in the spirit of fun.
Scott
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

It took awhile and some research before I bought it..That boat has to, shall we say..grow on you. I knew when I got it, I was going to take some ribbing. And I also knew,it was one of a kind, and in new cond.
So... I can take anything dished out to me,in the spirit of fun.

Bla Bla Scott, now where's the damn pics of the Torino already hehe.... Let's see the new paint....
Moj'
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 1:59pm
It's painted, but not put back together.So....no pictures till I can really show it off.Then it goes up for sale!
Scott
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 2:44pm

It's painted, but not put back together.So....no pictures till I can really show it off.Then it goes up for sale!

Awww, selling ??? why's that? Just on to the next project? Bring it to Green Lake, will ya???

Moj'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

Awww, selling ??? why's that? Just on to the next project? Bring it to Green Lake, will ya???

Moj'

I guess some guys just prefer fugly boats. LOL. Just kidding. BKH
Livin' the Dream

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 3:52pm
Scott, is this a hobby that you turned into making a little money? Sounds like you turn a few boats around. Here's what's bugging me, your profile says you're only one year older than me and yet it says you're RETIRED/ Self Employeed. I'm self employeed too and I work harder than a 3 legged dog. I think I need some advice man, you're doin something right.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 3:57pm
Yea, Time for another project.I'd really like to go to GL.But that 10hr. drive........

And yes,BKH I just might keep "Miss Fugly" for awhile. But it to will find a good home probably sooner than later.
Scott
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Scott, is this a hobby that you turned into making a little money? Sounds like you turn a few boats around. Here's what's bugging me, your profile says you're only one year older than me and yet it says you're RETIRED/ Self Employeed. I'm self employeed too and I work harder than a 3 legged dog. I think I need some advice man, you're doin something right.

What my profile doesn't say,is that I get the kids on and off the school bus,make breakfast,lunch and dinner,clean the house,cut the grass,wash the clothes etc..etc...I have a new respect for stay at home moms. I'm also partners with a guy that repairs boats.I don't do alot of the work, but I do like a project or two a year..just to get away from the kids/house..I need a job.
Scott
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 4:38pm
[QUOTE=scott8370] James
I forgot to ask you the other day, what your plans were for your new CC. Total restore,or clean and buff it and enjoy?

Buff and enjoy! We are putting a new floor in, and trying to run the engine. The boat was left out, uncovered to the elements since 1996. It is amazing the condition it is in. There was only a few areas of rot on in the floor. Stringers were fine. It is 100% original, on the original trailer.

Mojoman, which boat is Alan Jacksons? I have heard rumors he has one, but I would like to know which one. It is a Commander, or an Xk19?
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2006 at 4:54pm

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

What my profile doesn't say,is that I get the kids on and off the school bus,make breakfast,lunch and dinner,clean the house,cut the grass,wash the clothes etc..etc...I have a new respect for stay at home moms. I'm also partners with a guy that repairs boats.I don't do alot of the work, but I do like a project or two a year..just to get away from the kids/house.

Scott,
I feel better now, I thought you just sat around drinking little umbrella drinks working on your boat.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Mercrewser Mercrewser wrote:

Mojoman, which boat is Alan Jacksons? I have heard rumors he has one, but I would like to know which one. It is a Commander, or an Xk19?

The blue one shown with white strips I believe was a 69' XK19 with a 318 chrysler motor, V-drive... Rare. They built the boat from the ground up after presenting it to Mr. Jackson. $35K... I wanted the same one but in white with white interior... but he wouldn't break the price.. There is only a handfull left.. If that is what yours is, it's worth some cash for sure !! That boat company does some quality work. I was very impressed... They find those boats up there tucked away in boat houses all around the lakes in upstate NY..

Moj'
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 8:26am
Yet another small world story. The Forestport boat shop is in the town where I spent all my summers growing up. Population about 52. Was surprised to see Forestport come up in a conversation here, especially from a midwesterner. I guess that shop does pretty good work though. I know of people who have taken their woodies there to get redone.

That orange boat certainly is...unique. Sort of a distorted one of these

I ran this taylor jet for about a year. Couldn't keep it going. Jets are tough. About 12,000 rpm and no resistance whatsoever is bad for engines, I guess.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 8:34am
75', I thought the XK19 was the coolest boat ever.. My dad almost bought one when I was young.. Researching a few years back, the Forestport boat co was the only place I found that will go and find the boat you want, refurbish it in the color of choice and warantee it... So on a trip to Plattville, NY on business once, I checked out the boat shop and that's when they were finishing Alan Jacksons boat.. The price is to much for me for a 5 passenger, no sking type boat... Place is still around.... Lot's of old boats in the mountain lakes up there !!!

Moj'
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 9:20am
75 Tique,
    You have a good eye, the taylor is indeed similar, in fact it is one of at least a dozen companies sued by Sidewinder for copying its hull design, and one of the worst offenders. Marlin, Tahiti, Wriedt, and Taylor are all basically built of molds made from Sidewinders, in particular the 16 and 18 foot "super sidewinders" that taylor is an exact copy of one of those very simaler to my tahiti. Don't know the model of Scott's boat though maybe he wants to enlighten us?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:10am
The taylor had nice lines, was quite slick, and with the same engine as the sidewinder (455 olds, 355 hp) and huge exhaust ports, the thing screamed. I liked the lines. The orange boat seems a tad short and fat (really, we're not picking on you again) I was thinking maybe the photo got distorted in production and it really looks more like this.

Just a thought.

And just kidding...I think old unique boats are great...like the old original glass boats with the monster fins.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:23am
The Sidewinder that I have is a 1973 XL19 Deep Vee. With a 92" beam, and approx. weight of 2300lbs with the Olds. 455 and Berkley jet drive.

I purchsed this boat and 7 others at a auction in TX in 2005. The story goes, the best I can remember, the owner/president or some hot shot from Sidewinder was going through a divorce and took these 8 boats and hid them in a warehouse somewhere so they wouldnt be included in the divorce. This took place in 1974. This boat was untouched for 30+ years!

The Sidewinder came with some original paperwork and brochure. After reading the brochure I noticed the XL models were not offered in this orange color (and the boat is all original) so I suspect he had this one made special for himself.

With 30 original hours, needless to say, it has the original upholstery, carpet etc...all in perfect condition. There is not a scratch on this boat inside or out! It came on the original "Dilly" trailer with the original tires, which I have replaced since.

The boat is currently in our shop. We pulled the engine out and took it up to our local engine guy who is dismantling, replacing necessary seals and gaskets.   Just a precaution due to it not running in 30+ years.

Here is the brochure picture and boat feature in case anyone is interested in seeing them.

Scott
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 11:32am
mmmmmm guacamole
Life is Good.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Mojoman Mojoman wrote:

Originally posted by Mercrewser Mercrewser wrote:

The blue one shown with white strips I believe was a 69' XK19 with a 318 chrysler motor, V-drive... Rare. They built the boat from the ground up after presenting it to Mr. Jackson. $35K... I wanted the same one but in white with white interior... but he wouldn't break the price.. There is only a handfull left.. If that is what yours is, it's worth some cash for sure !! That boat company does some quality work. I was very impressed... They find those boats up there tucked away in boat houses all around the lakes in upstate NY..

Moj'

That boat is identical to mine, except I have a 327 CID Chris Craft motor. Same year too, 1969. There were only 86 v-drives that year, and 15 I/Os.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 8:26pm
Scott,   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sidewinder-Jet-Boat-Olds-455-Engine-and-Berkley-Jet_W0QQitemZ4624318667QQcategoryZ80653QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2006 at 9:12pm
James
Thank you so much!I would love to have that one. I'm going to wait till,close to end of auction, and bid on it..if the price stays low.Ican't believe this.I have never seen another one of that model (same as mine). Thanks again..and keep watch for my bid.

I'll paint this one purple!.. Just kidding
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 5:47am
Let me know if you buy it!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 1:10pm
Hey Scott, what kind of trans/v-drive do you have in the Torino? I have a Paragon PV-300 series that has some "issues". Sending it out.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 2:07pm
My blankity blank computer keeps locking up every time I try to reply to your question. Anyway.. I have a velvet drive trans.
I think you can get a rebuild kit for yours on Ebay. What type of issues you having?Not that I know anything about Paragon.
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 2:12pm
Clutch plates are stuck in forward. I was sternly warned NOT to run engine until its fixed. There is no neutral. Goes directly into reverse with bad noise. Gotta find someone to work on it. V-drive has its own fluid, and it had alot of water in it. I want it gone over too. CC guys say v-drive is bullet proof and that it is probably fine. This is a freshwater only boat, so I think I will be OK. Cases seem good.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 4:35pm
You said the boat was exposed to the weather for years. Maybe the bildge drain got clogged and filled with water, allowing the water to enter through the vents.I agree,you'll be OK

You didn't find water in the engine? If you did,I would think the boat sank at some point. If no water, then just a little too much rain water
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2006 at 5:58pm
Water in engine too. I figure from condensation. Boat was dry when I got it, plug was out and no debris. I thought I had pumped all the old engine oil and water out before I changed it and ran the engine. Well, I got milkshake, and I was running it dry, so some water must have been on the bottom of the pan. Oh well, it bothered me, but everything cant go perfectly. Now water is spread thoughout engine, but I did change it again. There is no drainplug in pan, you have to pump it, and apparently it is hard to get the tube to the bottom of the pan. Engine runs like new, I still cant believe it. A little frustrating to see the milkshake, but engines have been put through worse I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic