NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 29>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

click the traction control off button.

Exactly what I do, and I needed to do it every time I started up today in our winter wonderland.

Oldcuda, that's an awesome ride!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 8:25pm
I am not a fan of TC and ABS on a standard passenger vehicle either. I always turn off the TC and I installed an ABS disable switch on several cars I have had.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Daaaaannngggg. It's like the gentlemen's SS. Hollywood has to be sporting chub at the moment.

Gary too.

While it is nice I am on the fence with the Lincoln. It's never been in the snow and on the way back from Florida in December,we ran into it at about I-88. Then to add insult to injury I had to park it at the bottom of my drive and walk up. I haven't had to do that in 20 years. I think it drove worse than my 91 Mustang! I think I will need to trim the fleet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:55pm
In any of those rear wheel drive highway cruisers (or I guess any rwd car) there's a need for real snow tires if you want to do much in the bad weather. All-seasons are a bad compromise at best. I've had SUV's as my primary vehicle since around 1986 but drove rwd cars in earlier years, and since when traveling with sales guys all through the northeast. The real road warriors put good quality snows on and the traction difference is huge.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:56pm
Not to mention you need to put some junk in the trunk.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:57pm

At least this guy in the gold car has 4WD, but sadly, no hitch.

uhhhh, John, that aint no real 4x4...

THIS is a real 4WD...

and the ABS was disabled when I first bought the truck... (hate plowing with it).

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 10:01pm
Steve, that looks like a '97 or '98, am I right? I'm setting up a '98 GMC 3/4 ton diesel extended cab with a plow right now, should have it by next week. I plan to do a bit of towing with it in warmer weather.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 10:31pm
I like it when a man has a truck because he NEEDS a truck Steve.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 11:35pm
When I used to have rear wheel cars I did have snow tires but no matter
what the car was 4wd or AWD in my case will out climb them on my drive.
Matter of fact even this with chains has trouble at times.My wife fought
hard to get me to ok 4wd now I can't do without.We have one car with AWD
and it works but when it really bad out like the other day the grand
cherokee is the ride of choice

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 11:55pm
All you need to get up your driveway in the winter is a Sherpa or two, Gary. The Ford is really pretty with the plow on the front.
(edit) is that a Cub? When I posted I thought it was your Ford and your date was wrong. Another very nice tractor!!!!

Does anyone remember these? This is my tow vehicle form the late 80s-early 90s. It worked pretty hard during it's stay in my stable and pulled the Supra to St Louis time or two. It came with some goofy vacuum operated 4WD system. I removed it and put a New Process dual range transfer case from a Jeep Cherokee in it and it was a pretty good 4WD car for the day. The down side was that 258 / I-6 burned more gas than Captain Stubing's craft. I retired it in a trade for a CJ7 project with 288,000 on the clock. It was a car that people expressed strong opinions on. Random people would frequently approach me and say that it was either the ugliest car ever made or the coolest. The jury is still out on that.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Steve, that looks like a '97 or '98, am I right? I'm setting up a '98 GMC 3/4 ton diesel extended cab with a plow right now, should have it by next week. I plan to do a bit of towing with it in warmer weather.

Its a 97 one ton with a 350. The truck came with an old Western "t" handle plow. I used that one winter and bought the Boss 8.2 V plow. It will go thru a foot and a half of snow with no problems. (as long as its not a wet snow).

This picture was taken on the road in front of our house 3 years ago after the blizzard. Would never go back to a regular plow.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 12:20am
I've yet to plow with a v-plow myself, would love to give it a try. I'm putting an 8' minute mount 2 on the truck, the plow cost more than the truck already so didn't want to pay even more for a V.

John, I used to think the AMC Eagle was a very cool car, with the styling and 4WD. There is something neat about having a small car that can actually tow something fairly large.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 12:33am
David, yep, same here, the plow cost as much as the truck.

I plow some long lanes that drift REALLY bad and a couple of places where we have to push snow to the end. I invert the V to do that.... saves a TON of time. The boss v was "only" $700 or $800 over the straight blade. Im in my 5th year with it..never thought twice about the cost again. Hoping to make some removable / hinged 16 or 18 inch wings sometime to make it wider in the lighter snows.

A couple more plow pics.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 12:39am
That's moving some serious snow! Funny how much work you can get done with a 14 year old truck that doesn't cost $55,000!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 1:02am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

That's moving some serious snow! Funny how much work you can get done with a 14 year old truck that doesn't cost $55,000!

yep, I like $5,500 trucks.(got 3 of them) ...while other guys are making payments, I'm making money! also don't have to worry about putting a scratch in it!

( "in the day", pre-V plow, I used to plow 32 lots each time it snowed. altho I don't do much commercial plowing anymore)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 9:16am
My '69 Rambler with studded snow tires and 300#'s of junk in the trunk was one bad mother in the snow.....No good for towing but when I upgraded to the Pinto Station Wagon it would tow the old Glastron Carlson quite poorly lol
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

My '69 Rambler with studded snow tires and 300#'s of junk in the trunk was one bad mother in the snow.....No good for towing but when I upgraded to the Pinto Station Wagon it would tow the old Glastron Carlson quite poorly lol

Pinto? Carlson? That's everything I wanted back in the 70s-80s. It would take me some time to remember how many Pintos I owned back then. This was my favorite, there wasn't much short of exotics that could beat it back in the day. It was set up more for autocross ( parking lot slalom back then ) than drag racing. I really had fun with this car but it was another one my wife didn't care for. It towed pretty well too. I really wanted a Carlson but never got one. With the Mustang I have finally moved on from that.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

At least this guy in the gold car has 4WD, but sadly, no hitch.

uhhhh, John, that aint no real 4x4...

THIS is a real 4WD...

and the ABS was disabled when I first bought the truck... (hate plowing with it).

You actually have brakes on a plow truck??
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 5:28pm
Peter,
Brakes do come in handy when backing up and getting ready to shift into drive to make another run. Those reverse into drive "drops" tend to be hard on the trans.. ... heck, I have even used them once or twice to stop at the end of a push.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 7:08pm
John B: Jury has returned a verdict. Always thought the Eagle was cool, and still do...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
1980SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:16pm
1995 Buick Roadmaster sedan with tow package

1995 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
1980 Ski Nautique
351ci Commander
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:58pm

Peter,
Brakes do come in handy when backing up and getting ready to shift into drive to make another run. Those reverse into drive "drops" tend to be hard on the trans.. ... heck, I have even used them once or twice to stop at the end of a push.

i did 30 to 45 driveways per storm from 1985 to 2012   finally retired from it most of those yrs in an 84 chev 1 ton dually dump with a 350 ,9 ft fisher and half a ton of sand in the back, that truck made me enough $ to get thru the winters here. I have mixed feelings about not doing it anymore, i just put a blade on my blazer to do my yard here... now when younger guys ask me about doing drive ways and all the $ they could make ,my first advice is . get in your truck , drive from N.H to N.Y and every 2 miles run into a jersey barrier ,, call me when you get there.....................
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 1:20am
Peter,
I bought my first plow in 78 and have plowed ever since.

Gone thru a few trucks and plows. Started with a 74 3/4 ton 350 Chevy, a 76 Blazer with a 454, a 79 1/2 ton Silverado shorty with a 350, an 80 Chevy one ton 4x4 dually with a 454 and 9 foot plow, an 89 GMC 1/2 ton. Now the 97 with the Boss 8.2V.

I dont miss the stress of commercial plowing at all,(32 parking lots was TOO many) but still LOVE to go out and push the stuff!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2014 at 11:12pm
The first chink in the armour.
My tow vehicle let me sdown this week end. I wanted to go to Minneapolis for the weekend but now I'm doing maintenance on my tow vehicle getting it ready for the summer ahead. I found a wheel bearing that needed attention a couple days before I was set to go. Just great. And that coming on the heels of the ignition switch recall. This is such a disappointment. Only 179,000 miles. I may as well put a new set of pads on the front brakes too. This it the third set. It must be all that heavy towing that is wearing them out so fast. Bummer.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 9:51am

David, yep, same here, the plow cost as much as the truck.

I plow some long lanes that drift REALLY bad and a couple of places where we have to push snow to the end. I invert the V to do that.... saves a TON of time. The boss v was "only" $700 or $800 over the straight blade. Im in my 5th year with it..never thought twice about the cost again. Hoping to make some removable / hinged 16 or 18 inch wings sometime to make it wider in the lighter snows.

A couple more plow pics.

I meant to post some pics and forgot until I saw the new post yesterday. Here's my '98 6.5 diesel with an 8' Minute Mount 1. It really pushed well, I'm very happy with it, a lot of truck for the money I paid for it. Would love to try a v-plow sometime. If the weather ever gets better I'll hitch up the boat and see how it tows.

beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 2:06pm
I found some old pictures of tow vehicles I've used over the last little while.

1. My brother's 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 6 speed we towed the 1996 Sport home to Canada from Phoenix with (at Saguaro Lake Northeast of Phoenix)

2. My father in law's 2010 F150 we towed the 1997 Sport home to Canada from Austin, TX with (somewhere in Oklahoma)

3. My old 2001 Grand Cherokee 60th Anniversary Edition with 4.7 towing the 1996 Sport. Just sold the Jeep for next to nothing to get it out of the driveway :( . I put a lot of miles on that thing and with a 6500 lb tow capacity it sure towed well. (At home boat launch in Nipawin, SK, Canada)
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 3:27pm
I am awaiting the results of Alan's trip towing with his new car. I expect it to be nearly revolutionary.

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 4:40pm
Aww Dwight, your pic of the 97 sport reminds me of my old 92 sport. I towed it with my 95 Cherokee from Albany NY to Minneapolis in 1997, and then back in 2000. I also drove it from NY to VA beach/NC in 1996.

The charcoal/red/white is still my favorite CC color combination.

I'm looking forward to how my 2014 F150 handles my boats this summer. I've had 2 Nissan Frontiers over the last 6 years and while it has great towing capability for a 6cyl, I'm glad to have some V8 power now.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 4:50pm
Here's one thing NOT to do with your tow vehicle.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 5:26pm
Wow, that Nissan had to look like an compressed accordion after it hit the opposite bridge embankment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 29>
  Share Topic