NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to buy first wake board?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to buy first wake board?
    Posted: January-02-2014 at 8:49am
First off Happy New Year fellow CC fans!
Been looking at wake boards and wanted to ask where should I buy from?
I'm a beginner-intermediate rider that plans to progress quickly - skate boarded and wind surfed as a kid and have been snow boarding for 15 + years.
I found evo dot com and am fine with buying an older model. They appear to have some good deals on packages.
Any other good sources or suggestions?
TIA
Robert
86 SN 2001
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 9:17am
Performance Ski and surf in Orlando. Google their web site they run sales and will ship anywhere in the USA.
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 10:31am
If you can hold out for a while and find a local board shop that you can demo a few different makes and models then that is what I'd suggest. They each ride different and the bindings can make the board. Do a little research and be sure that you get the right length according to weight and height. My advice would be to buy an intermediate to advanced board then to start off with a beginner board. A beginner board's edges are more rounded thus making it forgiving type of board. It's slow to cut and my experience is the landings are harder.

An advance board has more rocker thus making the board launch of the water but yet the landings are a little softer. It has sharpe edges making the board able to cut on a dime. Bad thing is they are less forgiving and will bite you (slamming you to the water) if you get to lazy on them. Both my teenage girls learned on an advanced board when they were 10 & 12 and have done well. I just bought them a new board for Christmas (online) that is more suited for their weight and height (it's a chick board too) so they should be able to ride a lot better.

I'm 5'10 185 lbs and ride a Liquid Force Trip 142 ( I think). The last two boards I've owned were LF boards. I just like the brand as they have held up well and the way they ride. The board I got the girls is a womens version of the Trip. I've ridden a Hyperlite and a couple of other brands which I personally didn't care for how they rode.

There are some great deals on new boards that are a couple years old. If you don't care about having the latest and greatest graphic on it then snatch one up. It's boat show time so if you can get to one then there are usually some vendors there that have good deals on equipment and you can see first hand and even try on bindings. You do get what you pay for so keep that in mind. Don't get some $30 wakeboard rope from Sports Authority or walmart. Get a good ZERO stretch rope (spectra or poly e)and a good handle. You may spend $100 on a rope but that rope will pay huge dividends on the water and it will waaaaaay outlast the cheap one. I'm going on 8+ years with the last one I bought.

Good luck in your search.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Florida Inboards Florida Inboards wrote:

Performance Ski and surf in Orlando. Google their web site they run sales and will ship anywhere in the USA.

+1 on Performance Ski in Orlando. They seem very knowledgeable and offer great deals on boards. I think they have a few $350 packages for last years models going on right now.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 3:42pm
Don't skimp on the bindings, they can be used on most any board when/if you change.

Lot's of used stuff on www.ski-it-again.com
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2014 at 11:15am
Great advice from morfoot. I agree with everything he said. If your going to ride and progress then buy something that can progress with you. I would not buy more than a couple years old if your serious about it. The rocker styles have changed so much. You use to be able to get away with choosing about one of three rocker styles, now there has to be probably a dozen combos to choose from. Weight is a big factor in your selection, and remember if you ride a 135 in one brand it may not be 135 in another. A couple cm won't mean much starting out, but as you progress you will notice the difference. I myself Bought a new Obrien clutch last year and kept my Obrien format bindings. Lightest quickest board I have ever been on for the money.
if it floats it's not sunk
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2014 at 8:56pm
I've bought several boards off ebay. Hyperlite, liquid force, Byerly and Ronix. Like mentioned above, the same length from brand to brand and model to model is different because of the boards vary in width and shape. If a board is too big, you can't cut as hard and a little chop will be scary. Check craigslist. A friend of mine got a deal on a new Hyperlite Murray.
Tim D
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 3:02am
Originally posted by RobertV RobertV wrote:

First off Happy New Year fellow CC fans!
Been looking at wake boards and wanted to ask where should I buy from?
I'm a beginner-intermediate rider that plans to progress quickly - skate boarded and wind surfed as a kid and have been snow boarding for 15 + years.
I found evo dot com and am fine with buying an older model. They appear to have some good deals on packages.
Any other good sources or suggestions?
TIA
Robert
86 SN 2001

Evo has been very helpful with size charts and what the board does but nothing is like riding it! Everything I've gotten from Performance worked well too! It's hard to say, there is no perfect way but there are dealers with cables where you can try now.
2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 8:06am
Here's the truth and a little advice also. Truth is, if you are going to ride and progress then this will not be the only board you buy. So don't go spend 400.00 to 600.00 dollars on something that looks cool but you have no idea how to ride. My first board was a stingray blindside. It turned like a mack truck, you had to almost stand the board on end while edging but it got me on the water. Oh and it was a continuous rocker so it made the landings a little softer. (something to keep in mind)Just buy the right size board and go get wet. Last of all we never really think of this but ya know there's a chance you may ride for a bit and decide you don't care for it. Be a shame to waste all that money. I rode bull in the Midwest for 6 years and seen a lot of people come and go with fancy equipment that rode one time and decided a bulls back is not where they should be. lol
if it floats it's not sunk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic