Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fat sac?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jeff4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat sac?
    Posted: January-04-2014 at 2:08am
I have a 1996 Sport Nautique and I'm interested in adding fat sacs to improve the wake for surfing and wakeboarding. Any recommendations?
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 12:09pm
For sure. throw the weight at it. Just make sure you weight the front down to. you want the whole boat to sink but the back a little more than the front.
if it floats it's not sunk
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 7:36pm
You can weigh it down and like the other post you need to throw a sac up front too.

If you want to surf, you really only want the surf side loaded. Right forward right side, left is left. Toes to the wake!

2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 11:58pm
Start small and work your way up to more weight. My rule of thumb teaching new riders is you should be able to at least clear the wake heelside AND toeside before adding weight. Learn the fundamentals before trying to go big. It will help you progress faster.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 2:01am
This was pulled from wakeworld, on setup 1 his is very extreme and I wouldn't recommend taking to many people with you unless you take out ballast to compensate for the added people weight and may need to re prop your boat to a lower pitch so take offs won't take forever to plane out. But will throw a massive wake! In setup 2 i think you can get by without a reprop.

Even tho the guy in setup 2 says bow weight doesn't make a difference, in my experience in playing with ballast that if the wake is to steep extra bow weight will take the steepness out and make it more mellow. When I play with ballast in my 79 I have to add bow weight because the wake is to steep.

Setup 1:

That hull can throw one of the best wakes around...if you like steep. I used to weight mine as follows:

Full sack on each side of the engine (+/- 1000lbs) 500 on each side
Side sack between engine and rear seat (250lbs)
Lead/sand behind rear seat (200lbs)
Side sack in the ski locker (250 lbs)
Lead/sand under bow (150 lbs)

This will throw a nice, steep wake that is clean down to about 20.5 mph. If you want even bigger, put 200lbs more up front and 300-500 lbs more in the rear...it gets huge, but it is tough on beginners and your minimum speed goes up to about 21.5.

If I still had the boat, I'd experiment with a SL Lounge in place of the rear seat (1100 pounds?), a full sack up in the bow, and a couple of hundred pounds of lead here and there. That would open up some space in the boat.

Setup 2
I've got a '97 sport and weigh it as follows:

400lbs lead under back seat in 20lb bags.
300lb side sac either side of the engine as far back as possible.
300-400lb locker sac in ski locker

I've found there is absolutely no need for any weight in the bow, but depending on the shape of wake you are after, you can add a little, but bear in mind the ending is in the middle (obvious statement) so it really doesnt need much up forward.
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:01pm
I weight my '94 sport as follows:

Fly high v-drive sacs on each side of engine (400 lbs x2)
Fly high pro x fat sac behind engine (750 lbs)
Fly high tube sac in ski locker (380 lbs)

All sacs are plumbed to an auto fill/drain system with reversible pumps.
Full total ballast is 1930 lbs plus a few anchors. Wake is real nice but gets awesome with this plus 4-5 people in the boat.

Kyle
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:11pm
Saw THIS today. Pretty sweet.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by kylem428 kylem428 wrote:

I weight my '94 sport as follows:

Fly high v-drive sacs on each side of engine (400 lbs x2)
Fly high pro x fat sac behind engine (750 lbs)
Fly high tube sac in ski locker (380 lbs)

All sacs are plumbed to an auto fill/drain system with reversible pumps.
Full total ballast is 1930 lbs plus a few anchors. Wake is real nice but gets awesome with this plus 4-5 people in the boat.

Kyle

Just out of curiosity where do you place your people when loaded that heavy? And is your wake temperamental like my 236? When I'm loaded up with lots of weight the wake gets washy easy I try to place people in the bow and center of the boat.
-Parks Bonifay

kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 8:14pm
I have room on the seats. Back seat is still in the boat. Drivers seat and passenger seat are open, and lots if room in the playpen bow. I've found that my sport wake is not nearly as temperamental about weighting as my cousin's '07 236 so long as its even. The 236 likes a bunch of weight mid-cockpit and forward, in addition to ski locker ballast, and bags on the tanks. I think the best I saw it is we had v drive sacs each side of the engine, 600 in the cockpit in front of the back seat, 600 in the ski locker, and 4-500 on top of the locker in the walkway on top of stock ballast and 3 ppl. It would have been bigger with more ppl but the shape was great and the wake nice and clean and firm. It takes more than you think it should need, that's for sure. And the boat is super sensitive to side to side balance.

Kyle

Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 11:06pm
Do you use the Tsunami pump ? And about how much time does it take to fill and drain ?
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 1:23am
Originally posted by kylem428 kylem428 wrote:

I have room on the seats. Back seat is still in the boat. Drivers seat and passenger seat are open, and lots if room in the playpen bow. I've found that my sport wake is not nearly as temperamental about weighting as my cousin's '07 236 so long as its even. The 236 likes a bunch of weight mid-cockpit and forward, in addition to ski locker ballast, and bags on the tanks. I think the best I saw it is we had v drive sacs each side of the engine, 600 in the cockpit in front of the back seat, 600 in the ski locker, and 4-500 on top of the locker in the walkway on top of stock ballast and 3 ppl. It would have been bigger with more ppl but the shape was great and the wake nice and clean and firm. It takes more than you think it should need, that's for sure. And the boat is super sensitive to side to side balance.

Kyle

My setup I'm upgrading to I have dual jumbo v drive fly high sacs (upgraded to these from twin 500lbs to make setting up for surf easier) in the rear corners but at 6mins they will fill to 500ish lbs, a 650lb ski locker sac I believe they call it the arrow sac, 650lb v sac under bow seating. And to counter balance prop rotation and driver I'm adding a 350lb sac under passenger side seat. I love the shape of my wake with current setup but I'm looking for consistency now.
-Parks Bonifay

shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 8:58am
Hey Jeff4. In regards to your weight question. All of our suggestions are good and true to the respect of the boat they are weighing down but, the best advice I think is to work with your boat. Simple logic applies for a good start. Surfing your always going to weight the riders side and back. more than any other place on boat.(but you do need weight up front). Wakeboarding, always try to keep weight distribution even side to side but always more weight in back. From here I truly believe its just all about finding that right speed and set-up that works for your boat. Even if someone has the same boat it will act different than yours. Prop size, prop condition, rudder condition, even a loaded cooler is going to affect the wake on one side or the other.
if it floats it's not sunk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic