Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86' Fish Nautique (gettin' put to work)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
MOBCHARTERS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86' Fish Nautique (gettin' put to work)
    Posted: January-07-2014 at 2:09am
Well, it's official, as of 1-4-2014 I became the proud owner of this 1986 23' Fish Nautique. We're in the process of getting her back on her feet. She's been out of the water for about a year. The boat is powered by a 1980's? Crusader 350 5.7 V8. Our plains are to do as minimal as possible to make it safe to run for about 2 years. After that time I'll do a boat and motor overhaul if needed (hopefully not before). I run a small fish/dive charter op and also fish commercially. We out grew our last boat and felt that this one better suited our needs. I've got a good solid 2-3 months to whip this boat into shape before my busiest time of year. I'll post pics and updates as we go along, and look forward to any helpful advise. I don't have any pics from the outside yet but I'll get em' up on here.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 10:28am
Welcome to the site Rick and congrats on your new boat!
83Ski
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 12:36pm
It appears to be in pretty good shape. Any soft spots in the floor (stringers)? Is the engine running? Is this the one that was on ebay? I am guessing it won't take too much effort to make her a good solid runner for a couple of years. Good Luck!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Is this the one that was on ebay?

Don't think so Steve, that one was being sold in MD if I remember correctly and this one has FL regs on it.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 3:04pm
The one on eBay went for 5200 which was not too bad a price.You would need a trailer and possible motor though. Maybe it will turn up here too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 7:06pm
Welcome aboard Rick, and good luck with the new adventure. Where are you located?
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 8:07pm
Hay guys, thanks for the warm welcomes.... skutsch, Deck is pretty solid.. some hatches need stiffining but might wait till we see what else rears its ugly head first..lol.. Yes, the engine runs... It actually starts right up very well despite being carbureted. bhectus, yeah, this one was on Craigs list for 9500 and we ended up getting it boat motor and trailer for 4250.... Smithfamily, I'm located down in SW FL. Town called Englewood.. It's almost smack dab in the middle of Tampa and Ft Myers...

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 8:17pm
Congrats on your new boat and welcome to the site.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 9:23pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 9:51pm
Looks like you have a good start on her,and looks pretty good. At 9k it would be hard to put more into it but with what you paid you can do so and still be under that figure easily. Keep the pictures coming please this will be interesting thread
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 11:52pm
Looks like a solid start for sure! Definitely has a whole lot of wires in the engine bay!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 12:40am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:49am
Rick keep in mind there are only a few resin manufacturers out there and I'm pretty sure West isn't one of them. Look up US Composits,they are down your way,good products,good prices and no paying extra for the hype.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:47pm
You have to find somewhere online to decode Chevy block casting numbers. Not a bad deal congrats! From the looks of the motor she's been in the salt quite a bit. Maybe set up a closed loop system when you overhaul it?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 2:29pm
A closed loop system would not prevent what happened to that one Zach a bilge pump and a wash down regulary would have been a start
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 3:24pm
Ha yea, I am thinking for the sake of longevity as a working engine that (I assume) won't be pulled out of the water every evening therefore cannot be properly flushed between uses.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 9:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 9:40pm
What size and pitch prop are people running on a 23 Fish with a 350?
I have a 14X11 on there. Seems kinda small but there is only like 2-2.5" of clearance so.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 9:19am
A 3970010 block is an April of 69 to 1979 small block Chevy block was used for everything from a 307 ci to 400 ci engine and could be either 2 bolt or 4 bolt main bearing cap blocks. If it was originally an automotive block the engine assembly code is on the tab in front of the right side head just above where the water pump attaches to the block.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 10:26am
The color on that transmission looks like it might have had a Waukesha in it when it was new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2014 at 3:54am
Well, we sure have accomplished a lot over the weekend... All new wiring, new manifolds, new risers, bilge pumps and hoses, oil sending unit, thermostat, switches, and gauges. Whew..... Worked 4 days in a row on it. Just thought I'd post an update... I'll have pics up here soon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 3:05am
New Gauges, New Switches.. Installed.

New Exhaust, Risers, Bilge Pump.

All new wiring.

Ready for her test run...

Sittin purdy..

SO.... we found the reason he didn't have a thermostat in the motor when we bought it.. and why the motor smoked so much... and why he didn't want to put it in the water for us to sea trial it... . He had the hose from the check valve that supply's the raw water for cooling into the water pump reversed.. Instead of going into the inlet of the pump he had it going into the outlet...lol.. Testing it on a hose you would have a hard time seeing this as the pressure from the hose sends it threw and out the exhaust. Was an easy fix and solved tons of things we were scratching our heads about! We ran the boat for about 1.5 hrs got her up to around 22-24mph, cruised nicely at 2600rpm.

Now, the next step for us is moving all the safety gear and electronics over from the other boat. I'll continue to keep putting pics and status updates up in case anyone has any cool ideas on configurations an such...     
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 8:19am
Orange oil filter!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 9:28am
Wow, the boat has come a long way in such a short time! Congrats and job well done.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 9:32am
Glad to hear you have it on the water! Neat project, I really enjoy seeing projects on the larger CC hulls. I'll be curious what results you get with that prop, agree it seems like you'd want more pitch but don't have a clue what was run on those boats.

Any comments on how it handles chop, handling when running with the swells?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 10:04am
14x11 sounds about right for a small block powered 23' vee hull. My buddy's 20' Shamrock with a 302 had trouble pulling a 13x10.5 Acme. Im surprised that the big block wasnt the powerplant of choice for such a large boat.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 10:44am
Nice job on that wiring dude. You didn't crack that bad boy wide open??? That motor seems to be in pretty good health given the compression numbers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 1:08am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOBCHARTERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 1:24am
Really love how these boats sit in the water too!
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 8:57am
Hey Mob i just read through your post, good buy! nice boats.
I currently own a 78 fish. I love and hate it.
they are a little different but pretty much same animal from the 78-86.
the 14-11 is the factory prop, i dont however know if the 350 is factory.
I was under the assumption these boats came with the ford powerplants. But my knowledge of the fish grows slowly greater each day( they are tough to find out info on) as you will come to find out.
any info i have found i will gladly share.

Also please let me know how the west system holds up to cracking, I have many cracks to fill in mine.

so one thing i notice is you do NOT have trim tabs. when my trim tabs were not working on my fish i just assumed not go out in it. I actually had a failure and had to hose clamp them down to allow myself to run faster than headway on a trip once.( i was overloaded) you say you got only 23-24knots, was that with full tank and passengers? I would bet with a set of tabs you would easily gain a few knots.
My fish has the 70Gal tank right on the stern rather than under floor, so the weight distribution in yours is going to be a little better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic