NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

anyone towing with a 3.6 Pentastar

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2014 at 10:37pm
That must have been some Hail Storm, dents and cracked paint. Wow.

Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2014 at 11:38pm
Ouch that had to hurt Alan. Why is it always when you get something nice? I wonder if that was the same day I was putting movers blankets on the Nautiques windshield under the cover since its sitting in the drive?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Alan, what a bummer dude. Boat was ok I take it?

No boat, on the way home from work last Tuesday. Not sure how the gelcoat would have held up on the 200 but the Hurricane would have gotten destroyed. It came down for about 2 minutes and just beat the crap out of us, by the time we even pulled over it was too late, no where to hide anyway.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 11:11am
[
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Boat was ok I take it?

The true CCfan question comes out. Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck Alan. I couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:05am
So no real reason to post this here other than I need to vent a little bit. The jeep has been in the body shop for 4 weeks getting the hail damage repaired. Final bill came to $12,000. The shop did a great job and really tried to get it done as fast as they could because they knew I needed it back to tow the boat. Needless to say we haven't been on the water since I dropped it off which is starting to get to us.

So anyway I pick the Jeep up from the body shop Monday morning and it looks great, I think Amen this is over and we can get back in the boat. NOT. The owner of the shop comes out and proceeds to tell me it won't run properly, it's throwing engine codes and is in limp mode, 30 mph max. "We didn't do anything to it, it just started doing it this morning" Of course it did.

Call the dealer, all I can do is bring it in and they'll scan it so I drive the 15 miles to the dealer at 30 mph trying not to get run over in the process. They scan it, get some codes regarding the emissions/exhaust system and try to clear them but can't. They then flash the PCM but that doesn't work. So dealer decides the PCM must be bad so they order a replacement, comes in next day but doesn't change anything. Truck still won't clear the codes.

They spend then next 6 hours trouble shooting and then notice the top of the windshield washer bottle is broken, interesting but irrelevant...maybe. They then notice that there's a wiring harness connector right next to the broken windshield washer bottle and low and behold it is damaged also so that is causing the bad codes.

The truck ran when I drove it to the body shop and didn't when I picked it up so we can only assume that the harness was damaged during repairs, most likely when the replaced the hood. Body shop says wasn't us but we'd expect no less and I wasn't up for the fight. Anyway the dealer is stand up and is going to warranty the entire fix but can't just repair the harness, he has to replace and return the old one for a valid warranty claim and you know what's going to happen next...

He orders a new wiring harness and it is not available from stock, has to be made up. You know, the Diesel is so new there's no spare parts yet and the harness is different than the 3.6, blah blah Yep I get it so spare me please. We'll know later today how long that will take but looks like we'll have a 3 day weekend with no boating again.

The killer is I could live without the truck if I could rent something I could tow with but none of the rental companies will rent and allow towing a boat. I've tried them all, only exception is Uhaul so if you see a green sport 200 going down the road this weekend behind a Uhaul, we're not moving we're just trying to salvage the rest of our summer.

The real pisser is that I knew going in on this truck there was a good chance there would be issues with the new engine, the recirc exhaust system, the complicated electronics in it, etc but in the end this truck has been absolutely flawless until this hail storm mess and human intervention it's turning into quite an aggravating deal.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:46am
Call me Alan,you can use my Chevy for the weekend
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:48am
Don't feel bad Allen. I have been so busy doing my share of (sweat equity) on this house addition that my wife insisted we needed that I have not even had time to get either of my boats out of storage yet.
To bad you don't live closer I have a F-250 and her Jeep GC diesel doing nothing that you could have used either to pull with.
Hope things turn for the better for you soon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:58am
See I feel better already, a little CCfan therapy.

Thanks Paul, get those boats wet dude, the summer clock is ticking.

Gary, I think we have a solution for this weekend but if it goes to the next one I may give you a ring. Really really appreciate the offer.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:19pm
Alan I feel your pain.

I had a similar problem with Jeep spare parts. I managed to damage the sump on my GC while loading boat . It was a long and painful night retrieving boat with another vehicle and then waiting for a flatbed to pickup my disabled GC with no engine oil. I was told it would be 6 weeks to get a replacement oil pan. The whole episode resulted in a insurance claim.

I eventually convinced the insurance company to have my damaged sump repaired while waiting for a new replacement part. It actually ended up being a 10 week wait but I was back on the road thankfully.

The diesel is quite high tech and dealers are having trouble coping with this new technology. The engine has been used in Australia since 2011 and the main problems having been just software updates to the ECM. The DPF (diesel particulate filter) throwing codes has been one of the areas that has received quite a lot of attention. These vehicles actually have numerous computer type data buses running between control modules. Most newer vehicles have this technology even the petrol(gas) engines. It sounds like one of these buses has been damaged at the washer area causing the engine to throw codes. I purchased a bluetooth doongle that allows me to receive error codes via a app on my smart phone. Have not had to use it yet but nice to know that I can do this if I ever get stranded with a engine fault code.

Your dealer is definitely looking after you covering this under warranty.
Just check that your dealer has updated as per this Jeep Chysler TSB Power Train Update

My thoughts would be to try to get the dealer to repair this wiring while you are waiting for the new wiring harness. Actually I would even be tempted to stay with the repaired harness than having the dealer remove and replace the complete harness and possibly cause more problems.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:56pm
Alan, please. You've got a 30 foot tow vehicle in the driveway. Bounder to the rescue! Parking brake on the ramp!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Alan I feel your pain.

The diesel is quite high tech and dealers are having trouble coping with this new technology. The engine has been used in Australia since 2011 and the main problems having been just software updates to the ECM. The DPF (diesel particulate filter) throwing codes has been one of the areas that has received quite a lot of attention. These vehicles actually have numerous computer type data buses running between control modules. Most newer vehicles have this technology even the petrol(gas) engines. It sounds like one of these buses has been damaged at the washer area causing the engine to throw codes. I purchased a bluetooth doongle that allows me to receive error codes via a app on my smart phone. Have not had to use it yet but nice to know that I can do this if I ever get stranded with a engine fault code.

Your dealer is definitely looking after you covering this under warranty.
Just check that your dealer has updated as per this Jeep Chysler TSB Power Train Update

Hey Mark, sorry for your troubles.

They did install that latest TSB but it didn't clear the error. One of the errors we're seeing is the DPF full but when they try to do a manual regen it won't perform it. That's why they thought the PCM was bad but again that wasn't it.

I'm going to go by the dealership tonight and look at the damaged harness myself because I'm actually not completely sold that this is the entire problem.   

been following the DPF problems on the forums but a lot of that sounds like it happens when people don't drive the vehicle enough, I drive about 60 miles highway each day and I haven't had a single issue with the DPF errors up to now. The tech can't even determine if the DPF needs a regen or if it's a faulty code at this point. I fear we're in for a long ride.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:31pm
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Alan.
A few years back my friend's new car ran terribly one morning. He got it to the dealer and found that damage to the wiring harness by hungry mice wasn't covered. It was an expensive repair.
I happy to hear your jeep is being covered under warranty. That is an epic adventure you are on with the Jeep.
Good luck, you certainly deserve some right about now.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Alan, please. You've got a 30 foot tow vehicle in the driveway. Bounder to the rescue! Parking brake on the ramp!

If I don't get this tow Vehicle problem resolved soon Joel I will be living in the Bounder! Dana needs her boating time to stay sane.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 2:54pm
Alan, Yep that sucks... Can't the dealer loan you a truck to pull the boat??? I'd let you use the Suburban, but I'll be up North, splashing the boat for the first time as well..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Can't the dealer loan you a truck to pull the boat???

Moj'

Nope, absolutely will not allow towing with a loaner.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 3:13pm
Sorry to hear of your struggle, Alan. Hope it all pans out!

At the moment all out skiable bodies of water are too high for watersports this weekend. If it weren't for a house/boat projects keeping us busy here (I feel your Pain Paul) the Iowa Contingency would gladly head over to help with towing. Hope you guys make something out of the weekend!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Moj'

How will they know?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 4:30pm

How will they know?

From reading this thread, lol

Open invite up to Deep Lake, boats are in, docks are mostly done, no wake restrictions.

Feeling a (hopefully) lighter dose of your tow vehicle pain, my Tahoe has consumed a couple batteries over the last several days, hoping it was just a bum replacement battery, we will see.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 5:03pm
Now you know Pete is going to ask if your just a parts changer or did you get your tool box out and check with vom? Oh never mind I've seen what's in that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 6:02pm

Moj'

How will they know?

trust me I'm tempted to do it but this is my work car so the rental/loaner would be tied to my business insurance and if anything were to happen and I wasn't supposed to be towing my personal boat it could get me in a pretty big pickle. Anyway, we're headed to Quinners for a few days so that will satisfy our boating fix for a little while.

And Like Chris Mars stated looks like our river is closed this weekend also so it all works out in the end. Now I just need it back for next weekend because we've already got a camping site reserved down at lake Clinton and following weekend is Green Lake.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 1:32pm

Anyway, we're headed to Quinners for a few days so that will satisfy our boating fix for a little while.

Yea and any of you other meatheads are welcome to stop by as well, let me know!!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 5:48pm
Not unless you are done moving to the rich side of the lake with running water and flush crappers !!!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Now you know Pete is going to ask if your just a parts changer or did you get your tool box out and check with vom? Oh never mind I've seen what's in that

Correct, I don't remember seeing a VOM in his tool box. Just the other stuff CQ feels are necessary. I'm sure that some of the items he feels he can hopefully use!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 10:11am
I've been waiting to post a recap if anyone's interested in the new JGC diesel option since the truck has been in the shop all week. I was getting ready for some bad news regarding the dreaded Diesel particulate filter problems that many people have been experiencing but in the end I think we're good to go for while without any problems.

Story starts with 23,000 miles on the Jeep so far, 8000 of those are towing miles. Very pleased with the power and fuel mileage as I've stated a few posts back. Haven't had a single issue until a couple of weeks ago the check engine light went on so I brought it in. They scanned it and found DPF full codes which are a big problem meaning the regen system is not performing properly and is the biggest fear with the new diesels.   I thought crap here we go, back of my mind I was thinking this was a bad decision to buy a first year new motor.

Turns out the diesel particulate filter has a non stick coating on the inside that has been failing (not sticking and falling off the inside of the filter) and clogging the system so even thought the car is doing dpf regens it can't burn off the high temp coating therefore clogging the filter and sending vehicles into limp mode. I brought mine in before it limped but it was a matter of days before I would have been stranded.

Talking to the tech they replaced the entire exhaust system front to rear including sensors. The new DPF has no interior coating so he says we should be good to go. There's no recall or TSB yet but he said it's just a matter of time before they have to replace all of them.   So they did the work, installed a pcm update and replaced the rear shocks and shock mounts which I learned was a TSB, apparently the shock mounts are failing so those will all be replaced eventually too.

Everything under warranty so far and even though I've spent a more than reasonable amount of time at the dealer I'm still in love with this vehicle, got a ways to go before I get to the end of the warranty so for now we'll run it hard and see where we are in a few years time.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 9:40pm
Being in the agricultural / trucking business the filters and burners have been an issue since 2008. I am surprised Jeep did not use DEF for clean up. We have it on some tractors and it has been working really well. Over the road trucks have also fared much better with it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 12:34am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Being in the agricultural / trucking business the filters and burners have been an issue since 2008. I am surprised Jeep did not use DEF for clean up. We have it on some tractors and it has been working really well. Over the road trucks have also fared much better with it.

Actually it has a DEF system but if I understand the workings correctly that comes after the particulate filter.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 12:46am
Alan That is the first I have heard about the coating inside the DPF causing problems. Hope it is the answer to the Diesel Particulate Filter regen problems it seems to be far less of a problem in Australia. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that we do not use the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) downunder.

Your dealer seems to be on top of things with the TSB's I have to lead my local dealer by nose to get TSB's done. The top bushing fix for the rear shocks is one that I must get done next time I have to go back to them. My JGC has been trouble free except for my encounter with the rock and sump damage.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 9:10am

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Actually it has a DEF system but if I understand the workings correctly that comes after the particulate filter.

That is probably a good thing then. Our tractors are just using DEF as a cleaner and do not have particulate filters. Another brand is using a similar system to yours to meet tier 4 final regs. I have no experience with that system but they seem to working so far. Time will tell I guess. Good luck with the fix.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Alan That is the first I have heard about the coating inside the DPF causing problems. Hope it is the answer to the Diesel Particulate Filter regen problems it seems to be far less of a problem in Australia. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that we do not use the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) downunder.

Your dealer seems to be on top of things with the TSB's I have to lead my local dealer by nose to get TSB's done. The top bushing fix for the rear shocks is one that I must get done next time I have to go back to them. My JGC has been trouble free except for my encounter with the rock and sump damage.

Mark, my dealer is decent but I do wish they would be more pro active with the TSB. They haven't initiatived any of the repairs with a phone call, all have been when I bring the truck in for service. Maybe that's how it works with aTSB since it's not a recall. I brought the truck in so they could check out a rattle I was getting in the rear and they knew what the problem was without even looking at it. Service writer said they change them all as they come in, seems a little shady, if they're bad then replace them all. Not just if someone complains.   Luckily the dealer is on my way to work and opens at 6am so I drop off and get a loaner car for the day no charge.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 2:27pm
Just going into the dealer is painful. Alan, you must have a good one they are practically all slime bags around here. I must not spend enough money there to be treated honestly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic